MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Good Firearms Publications Left?

Any Good Firearms Publications Left?

As I search the Internets I find forum posts, blog posts, reviews and other articles all suggesting that gun rags have gone way down hill. I read many twenty-five years ago and a few through the years, but have not subscribed in quite some time.

Are there any rags left that are worth subscribing to? I like Gun Tests for their non commercial reviews, but they do not have reloading or general interest articles (or did not the last time I read one).

I thought of subscribing to Handloader, but read that it is not that great.

Another frustrating thing is that Gun Tests seems to be the only game in town that have figured out the year is 2016, offering every issue as PDF and print as well as archives and the ability to search. Some of them have "digital editions" that cost extra and are simply scans of the magazine or presented in a non downloadable format.

What do you still read? If you do not subscribe to magazines any longer what websites do you visit for high quality gun writing?

Boolit Master
    http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/

It's $20/year for 4 issues. No ads. Great photography. Online only, no way I can see to download. The quality is there though.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Thanks, Mal. I took a look, recognized all the authors, and subscribed immediately.

Boolit Master
    Wow, that looks very interesting, thanks for the link I'll subscribe tomorrow!

Boolit Master
    Simple answer, NO, but that link looks interesting, I just like to be able to actually turn the pages. I still subscribe to Handloader and Rifle, but hardly ever has anything of interest Backwoodsman mag is only magazine I read now, my shooting and hunting fix comes from this forum!
    OK, I now have some new reading material, Subscribing to the Classic arms journal,, Thanks for the link!!!!!
    Last edited by rking22; 06-10-2016 at 12:56 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    I still get Handloader. There is a lot of stuff in there that I don't need or care about, but every body else seems to be all 1911's and blackguns, all the time. Still, they manage to come up with a winner every once in a while.

One of the problems that I have is that in 45 + years of reading various firearms publications, I am bored by some things that are "new" to others. I know about Winchester's revolver prototypes, Fairchilds AR-10 and 15 development problems, and a great many other things that would have piqued my interest, 30 or 40 years ago. Now, much of it is old hat to me. Not the authors fault, but with age comes wisdom and I am pretty close to that dividing line. I've certainly got the old part, if maybe not so much on the wise part.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, but I believe the answer is NO! It seems that all a manufacturer needs to do is get together a bunch of would be mavins then wine, dine and blow smoke up their ***** and they will give good reviews just about anything or you get a reviewer that wants to get a name for themselves by blasting everything. You really don't find out what the problems are until the consumers start posting on the net and if you have already made a purchase by then it is too late.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I enjoy The Fouling Shot, published by the CBA. It is all cast bullets and has a mix of material from match results and technical data on rifles and loads used, to nostalgia pieces from the late Frank Marshall, Jr. Not all competition related, member submissions are encouraged and include both handgun and rifle articles, woodland companions and fireside favorites as well as experimental and historical stuff. You can contact the CBA and request a free .pdf version to look at and many people outside the US choose to receive the digital edition only to save on postage. http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the WACA magazine. Awesome pics of beautiful old rifles and related items with articles written by members.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

The American Rifleman is the only one I have delivered to the house anymore. I will pick up a copy of Handloader if it has an article I am interested in. I did pick up a copy of Rifle magazine at Barnes and Noble the other day and it had several articles that were interesting to me, might have been a fluke, but it seemed like a good one.

For the most part, gun mags aren't worth the paper they're written on anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, they are all paid advertisements. I will pick up Handloader on occasion. But it's a pretty weak magazine w/ poor writing most of the time. I wanted to buy the recent one w/ the reprint of the first issue but B&N didn't have it. Don't know if they sold out or don't carry it anymore.

I have been getting the Black Powder Cartridge news for 15 yrs and it is one of the ones I like the best.Also I get The Fouling Shot mag too it is pretty good also.
    Last edited by Rifle 57; 06-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I enjoy The Fouling Shot, published by the CBA. It is all cast bullets and has a mix of material from match results and technical data on rifles and loads used, to nostalgia pieces from the late Frank Marshall, Jr. Not all competition related, member submissions are encouraged and include both handgun and rifle articles, woodland companions and fireside favorites as well as experimental and historical stuff. You can contact the CBA and request a free .pdf version to look at and many people outside the US choose to receive the digital edition only to save on postage. http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/

I couldn't agree more. Great little magazine , wish it came out every month.
    Facta non verba

I don't subscribe to any, use to get them all. Quit for 2 reasons(1) the wanna bees that are now
    the writers. (2) I got tired of 95% of articles on tactical weapons and accessories. When you add this up and factor in the advertisements, there ain't much reason to by them. When you grew up
    reading Kieth, Skelton, Jordan & O'connor- the new guys are a joke, they may as well be writing
    about blenders and toasters.

Boolit Master
    For Years I was subscribing to them all. . I still subscribe to Handloader But all the new cartridges do not Interest me. . Just started with Black powder cartridge . Interesting But Nothing I did not Know already.
    Maybe Getting Older and I forgot more than most people Know
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Well this is depressing. I sent a PM to the man in charge at CBA for a sample of Fouling Shot. I sure wish this was not the state of affairs.

Boolit Master

Muzzle Loader Magazine, only gun rag I keep.

For hunting Fur, Fish and Game.

NRA life member, Wife is life member, son is life member. We toss the publications.

Boolit Master

+1 for Muzzle Loader Magazine
    Being human is not for sissies.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
    Well this is depressing. I sent a PM to the man in charge at CBA for a sample of Fouling Shot. I sure wish this was not the state of affairs.
    I get the FS in .pdf and can send a sample issue to anyone who would like to PM me and provide their email address. File size is about 1.2MB.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I get the FS in .pdf and can send a sample issue to anyone who would like to PM me and provide their email address. File size is about 1.2MB.
    Thanks for hooking me up. I have been reading one and enjoying it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast