WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a possibles bag, what are you using?

Use an old leather purse, cut the handles & make it one long shoulder strap, lots of little pockets inside. But for most important>>> don't tell anyone it used to be a purse

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Use an old leather purse, cut the handles & make it one long shoulder strap, lots of little pockets inside. But for most important>>> don't tell anyone it used to be a purse
    I did the same thing. Paid .50 cents for a brown leather shoulder purse at a yard sale. I cut out what I didn`t like or need from it, then added a longer leather deer hide strap. I thoroughly de-scented it and then re-scented it with deer lure scents.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    When we were children my brother got one of our Mother's old leather handbags from her. He has been using it as a possibles bag for over 40 years now. It is smooth leather with a finish similar to the sunset color scheme of some Gibson guitars. It is an excellent possibles bag, as good as any purpose-made bag.
    Same here.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I never liked a bag in the field. I just use vest pockets.

Boolit Master

My 8 are all hand made and sewn by ME. 4 are double bags as they were the rage at the time 1990's.

I do like the simple bags for use.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    a .50cal ammo can.
    LOL! I think we drift in the same boat bubba.50, at times i feel like i need a horse trailer to haul all of my gear when i go shoot!

Banned

out in the woods on a walk, the possibles bag is all that's required and not much in it 'cept what it takes to fire ball or shot, and clean out the fouling.

but if at the range, i'll augment the minimalist possibles bag with a box of support gear and include a brass range rod.

Boolit Master
    I have a possibles bag, a plain leather job I think I got at Cabela's, but I rarely use it anymore. I have several powder horns but seldom use those either. I hunt close to home so I'm out only for a few hours at a time. I keep ramrod tips, a clean-out screw wrench, spare caps and whatnot in the patch box on the rifle, and two reloads in quick-shot tubes in a pocket. That frees me up better for climbing a tree and suchlike, or pushing through thick brush, without having a bag over my shoulder to bounce around and snag on things.

So for day trips no bag is needed, nor even desireable. For a camping type outing, I'd take the bag, with cleaning supplies, extra patches, a powder horn and so forth. Also if I'm planning on firing a lot of shots, then I'd take the bag and a horn to carry extra ammunition. For hunting, it's maybe one shot, or maybe two, and so the ammunition load is one shot ready in the rifle before going out and two re-loads in a pocket. Stuff like that. Less is often more.

Boolit Master
    I'm using a WWII or Korean war chemical corps (gas mask?) bag that our Scoutmaster got for us back in the 60s. He brought a big box of them to our troop meeting, probably after the local national guard unit discarded them, and told us all to get one. Real handy - just the right size with a shoulder strap and a big internal pocket with three smaller pockets.

I also have a nice leather bag that my Grandfather had. It also came to me in the 60s complete with a couple of ancient tins of Winchester percussion caps and a tin of musket caps. He shot blackpowder back when only original guns were used. My misadventure burning the handful of powder that came in the horn is another story.

Boolit Master
    For the time being a T/C bag. But there is a generous fellow member here that sent me his sweet look'in day bags patterns. Lately I've been assembling those patterns cut from tanned (dark) buck skin hide. Just taking my time in assembling. "I want my hand stitching done right"

Banned
    Another vote for a leather purse.

I saw one at a Goodwill when I was buying kitchen stuff for my smelting chores. Cost me $3.

Banned
    I have old laptop cases that I use for everything.

I've both made my own, from scratch/leather (see a pattern, below), and I've also converted woman's leather purse/pocketbook into a possibles bag via changing the strap & adding some Native American beadwork purchased from Crazy Crow Trading Post. ( http://www.crazycrow.com/site/ )

I made my first one via cutting out some patterns, sewing the strap base(s), and both the inside outside pocket sections to their respective panels - then sewing the back & front panels (I made the flap integral to the back panel) to the gusset (a filler to give the bag some width, front to back) INSIDE OUT (after sewing the bag is turned back to inside-in, to hide the panel sewing).
    A closure loop/stud & a knife pocket on the front of the strap completed the bag.

My handmade (from tanned leather) bag:

My bag made from a woman's leather purse:

A canvas haversack I bought & use for quick hunts:

Last edited by pietro; 06-15-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Made one from blue jeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Also have a few old purses. One has painted flowers on it. Perfect every other way. They're embossed in. Really don't want flowers on my bag!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Made one from blue jeans.

Nice. I use old blue jeans for all kinds of things. Legs make good long pouches. Pocket areas are good for smaller belted pouches. Good for tool rolls. Tent poles. Belt pouch for shotgun shells (trap and skeet and hunting). Same belt pouch for revolver shooting at the range (keeps empty cases off the ground). Long pouch for my wife's portable weaving loom. Fishing poles. etc. etc. I even had a flannel lined set of jeans I used to make pistol 'socks'.

Sharpsman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Nice. I use old blue jeans for all kinds of things. Legs make good long pouches. Pocket areas are good for smaller belted pouches. Good for tool rolls. Tent poles. Belt pouch for shotgun shells (trap and skeet and hunting). Same belt pouch for revolver shooting at the range (keeps empty cases off the ground). Long pouch for my wife's portable weaving loom. Fishing poles. etc. etc. I even had a flannel lined set of jeans I used to make pistol 'socks'.
    My 1st gun sock was made by wife using jeans & flannel lined. Used a bootlace to tie closed. Still in use!

Perma-Banned
    Attachment 170734

I use an IGA bag, doubled

Boolit Master
    I use fanny packs. I turn them so they are actually in the front.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast