RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Possible sign of .22's returning

Boolit Buddy

Rare to find any 22 in any local stores other than local gun shops. That being said one LGS is having labor day sale with no limit! Last weekend had shelves full of CCI and Fed auto match. Nobody screaming or yelling for a box. But still find occasional $50 or higher brick on local web boards.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Hit a lot of gun shops this weekend one had some powder priced too high and one had 22s 70 bucks a K for match grade. If the price stays this high and people keep buying them up as fast as they hit the shelves I just mothball my 22s and keep shooting guns I can reload for.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    With primers a more than 3 cents can't really save much shooting reloads vs. .22LR if we are taking new vs. new. I guess if you consider your lead and time are free you could save 2 cents a round or at least that is all I could save as I can find .22 LR for under 7 cents a round. If I am going to the trouble of casting and loading ammo it will not be for .22 LR replacement ammo. I have more serious ammo to load and my time and lead is not free.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Stopped off at Cabela's last week and they had a whole stack of 333 round boxes of Winchester HP's for $19.99. Not like the prices ten years ago but these were the first I have seen on the shelf there in at least a couple years.

Boolit Master

First sign Trump gets elected and not the Hag.

Boolit Bub

My favorite LGS has been well stocked with all kinds of 22's for the last several months months. I was happy to find CCI Mini-Mags. They are $8.99/100. 500 round limit unless you buy a bulk box with more than 500 (they were trying to keep a good stock for there recent Anniversary Sale). I usually pick some up whenever I stop in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    With primers a more than 3 cents can't really save much shooting reloads vs. .22LR if we are taking new vs. new. I guess if you consider your lead and time are free you could save 2 cents a round or at least that is all I could save as I can find .22 LR for under 7 cents a round. If I am going to the trouble of casting and loading ammo it will not be for .22 LR replacement ammo. I have more serious ammo to load and my time and lead is not free.

Tim
    I don't consider the lead free, but the time I do. It saves me from driving store to store and I really didnt' shoot much 22lr even before the 'shortage'. It was just a convenient bulk ammo that my wife and SIL enjoyed shooting due to the low recoil.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

My Walmart had a ton of rimfire in today. This included shorts, LR and 22 magnum. This was mostly CCI, but no bulk packs. Since I just placed an order for LR and 22 mag from Bud's I left it there.

Ordered 6 of the Federal Champion Auto Match 325 round boxes today from Bud's. Good price and as I already had an account there it was a win win. What clinched the deal was shipping was half of what the other 3 places I looked at for the same thing would have been.
    total
    50 rounds short of 2k for 117$ with 15$ shipping for 133$ or around 6 cents a round. Decent.

Seemed a good investment against the chance of the HRC beast being elected or the zombie Apoc, whichever comes first.

Boolit Master

She'll be sworn in as POTUS, whether she wins or not. So, probably not a bad idea.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Ordered 6 of the Federal Champion Auto Match 325 round boxes today from Bud's. Good price and as I already had an account there it was a win win. What clinched the deal was shipping was half of what the other 3 places I looked at for the same thing would have been.
    total
    50 rounds short of 2k for 117$ with 15$ shipping for 133$ or around 6 cents a round. Decent.

Seemed a good investment against the chance of the HRC beast being elected or the zombie Apoc, whichever comes first.
    My handguns like the automatch just fine -- good accuracy and not a single failure to tire after thousands of rounds. In my Win model 52 rifle it rivals CCI std velocity but not as good as high priced Fed match -- no surprise there.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    I was totally surprised to see boxes of .22 Short CB cartridges at our local Walmart today. The last time I remember seeing .22 Shorts in any store was something like 30 years ago. Even then I really had to go to all the stores looking for the stuff at the time I needed some. But today, there it was on the bottom shelf in the Walmart ammo cabinet of all places. So I got some. I also saw they had some .22 Shotshells too. That is another item I haven't seen in years either. So I had to get some of them too.

The .22 Short CB rounds are subsonic too. In a long barrel single shot rifle, these rounds are pretty quiet.

Attachment 179868Attachment 179869Attachment 179870

I just bought 4 cases of Federal 22 Auto Match on line for $22.00 per box of 325. The fright added $57.00 to the order, but I now have a good stock. Hanging back waiting trying to save a few bucks is not a winning strategy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Federal Champion 525 rd packs for $22.99 out the door. I bought 20 bricks Friday, and Sunday I knocked the dust off of my 10/22 (literally) and had a blast at the range. For a moment in time, I was 11 again. I had so much fun I bought 20 more bricks today! Even after I bought my 20, there were still 2 bricks left for whoever needed them, lol.

Wife forgot we were out of coffee and I needed packing tape so was in Wal-Mart last night. 3 packs of 100 each CCI plated hp sitting right there on the shelf. I picked up one, wasn't thrilled about the price at $7.24 per hundred but do like that ammo and the CCI plastic packs. Have to set this one next to the $4 packs I have at home, maybe try them at the range side by each and see if the $7 stuff is almost twice as accurate as the $4 CCI from back a few years. But better price than the $50 for 500 rounds which were what I last saw in the area. $7 per 100 is no more expensive than reloaded .38's $10 and one might as well go ahead in plink with the 38's or even .357
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I'll you what, I am happy and excited about my windfall of 22 lr. I haven't shot it much at all since what I had I was saving for the kids. Matter of fact, my 10/22 magazines have been loaded so long that one of them was having issues feeding rounds. I had so much fun though. When I finished shooting I looked around at the scattering of cases all around me, and I was content, lol. I have 2 more mags coming, and am now in the market for a good bolt action 22 with iron sights. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the CZ line.

I asked how much the store had and the man said they got a very large shipment in. I called our local scout leader and chatted with him, but turns out they have stayed flush with 22 lr, even during the major shortages. Seems everybody came out of the woodwork and donated a bunch to them steadily over the years to the point he started telling people to keep their ammo.

Good times!!

Picked up some Auto match this past weekend for 19.99 a box. I bought 8 boxes. That was all they would let me have. I will need to check back the next time I go to that town.

Boolit Master

Plenty of .22 here avout, my local WMT had shorts last week too. My interest has been .22 mag for some time and there is still none to be had.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    The stores didn't seem to get much .22 Mag ammo in to sell. I got some while they had it though. I think there is a lot of pent up frustrated demand for .22 Mag ammo though. People can't get it. You would think with the prices for .22 WMR ammo being so high, that 9x19 ammo costs less for a box of 50, that the stores would tend to have it in stock even when the .22LR ammo is out.

Boolit Buddy

Sure, you can find some overpriced, low end, stuff. Try to find some top shelf match ammo that doesn't require a second mortgage and your first born child. It's no longer worth it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast