Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Possible sign of .22's returning

Boolit Master

good match ammo has always been at least twice the price of plinking ammo. not much difference today.

Boolit Buddy

Apples and oranges? Not many years ago I could buy a case (5000) of Federal 900B or 1000B for what they now want for a brick. When the industry went through the crisis some years ago they saw the opportunity to drastically raise the price and it's only gotten worse. On my budget it simply doesn't work. So my target guns sit in the back of the safe. I'm glad it works for you, but it surely does not work for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooter2 View Post
    Apples and oranges? Not many years ago I could buy a case (5000) of Federal 900B or 1000B for what they now want for a brick. When the industry went through the crisis some years ago they saw the opportunity to drastically raise the price and it's only gotten worse. On my budget it simply doesn't work. So my target guns sit in the back of the safe. I'm glad it works for you, but it surely does not work for me.
    didnt say it works for me, just stated thats how it is, and has been for a very long time. my BR rifle most likely has a pile of dust settled on it in the back of the safe, because ammo costs have risen beyond what i can justify.

Boolit Buddy
    During the shortage I bought a bunch of match ammo. I figured might as well go top shelf since the bottom shelf stuff was priced the same.

Boolit Master
    I think that people forget that the cost of materials used in making ammunition has skyrocketed. This is something the ammo manufacturers can't control. Copper prices have gone through the roof, so to speak. Copper prices keep going up and up. Copper is the prime ingredient in brass which is used to make the brass cases, primer cups, jackets for bullets, etc. Lead has become more expensive as well as they keep tightening up the environmental regulations for lead and recycling it. Smokeless powder is more regulated and more expensive too. Thus the cost of the ammunition has gone up.

Boolit Master

yup, prices climb. raw materials cost more, labor costs more, taxes increase, and the value of the dollar has dropped signifigantly. it all adds up to a bigger price tag on a box of ammo.

Boolit Master
    I would tend to dispute the higher manufacturing costs. Wages have be slow to grow and depending on which years you compare the price of lead and copper are down, clearly down from historical highs.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy

I think we're all looking at the same picture (data) and drawing a different conclusion. My social security check will go up by 0.3 percent next year. It's been that way for a while. However, most expenses are higher. In short, they don't track each other. Inflation is higher than the g'ment admits.

then again, they stole my FICA money and used it for other ****, now they pay me a paltry amount each month for which I am supposed to be thankful.

reloading components have about doubled, but match grade 22's have gone from affordable to not affordable. I can still afford to reload. I cannot afford to pay $150 or more for a brick for the ammo my Suhl likes.

I have neither the time or wherewithal to do a proper investigation. I just know it is not working for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Metal prices are depressed. Labor hasn't risen appreciably in quite a while. The raw Materials in a 22 can't have risen more than 9mm, but they are cheap and available. None of the arguments make sense to me.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't seen 22 ammo at our Wal Mart in over 3 years. However, when I go on trips out of state or even to the Denver area, Most Wal marts have some 22's. Wonder why the Western side of the Rockies can't get 22 ammo at WalMart

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I haven't seen 22 ammo at our Wal Mart in over 3 years. However, when I go on trips out of state or even to the Denver area, Most Wal marts have some 22's. Wonder why the Western side of the Rockies can't get 22 ammo at WalMart
    All this stuff has been sort of regional for awhile. See it all the time, one area has plenty of __________ and another area sees none of it for the last year. But they have plenty of something else that the other folks can't get for love nor money. Online has sort of helped even that out but it also funnels the people into all coming with their regional scarcity to a few online vendors who then get sucked dry by all the stocking up that folks tend to do when they can't find something for awhile.

If you haven't seen Red Dot or 2400 for a good long time you are going to make that Hazmat fee worthwhile. Currently typing gunbot.net into Google it auto completes with 22LR so apparently a lot of folks are still searching for it. Running 9 cents a round. With no real discount for buying a 5,000 round case. How messed up is that?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

keep looking, because it can be found for 5 and 6 cents a round online , but you need to be on your toes and jump when you see it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    keep looking, because it can be found for 5 and 6 cents a round online , but you need to be on your toes and jump when you see it.
    Yep, I buy it when it is under 7 cents out the door.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

A LGS recently got in some Aguila SuperExtra 40gr. plated for $40/ brick. No limit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.22ammo.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	180065

Boolit Grand Master
    You can order that Aguila from Target Sports for $370/case shipped. Not bad stuff, not great either

Boolit Buddy
    Went to our local Scheel's last night. The cheapest ammo was cci at $35 for 500.
    I passed. I would rather stock up on reloading supplies for my bigger calibers.
    Years ago I bought a bunch of reloading supplies and equipment from a friend for $15.
    It included 2000 small pistol primers and 1500 or so .38 special cases and a bunch of powder.
    With casting boolits for it I can shoot .38 for a couple of pennies out of my revolver.
    It's even a lot more fun than the .22 so why would I shoot the "expensive" stuff?
    I would like to get heavier stocked in .22 mag, but that in Reno seems to be as rare as hens teeth.
    Last edited by modified5; 11-05-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Went to our local Scheel's last night. The cheapest ammo was cci at $35 for 500.
    I passed. I would rather stock up on reloading supplies for my bigger calibers.
    Years ago I bought a bunch of reloading supplies and equipment from a friend for $15.
    It included 2000 small pistol primers and 1500 or so .38 special cases and a bunch of powder.
    With casting boolits for it I can shoot .38 for a couple of pennies out of my revolver.
    It's even a lot more fun than the .22 so why would I shoot the "expensive" stuff?
    I would like to get heavier stocked in .22 mag, but that in Reno seems to be as rare as hens teeth.
    while you may be able to currently load for those prices, you cant really count good guy old what a deal prices. in the future when your run out of those components, whats your cost going to be?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    while you may be able to currently load for those prices, you cant really count good guy old what a deal prices. in the future when your run out of those components, whats your cost going to be?
    I totally get that. What I am saying g is that right now I would rather invest in primers, powder, j word bullets, lead, etc than .22lr.
    I'm sure I will eventually purchase some but just not right now. The 2k or so I have is enough for now.

Boolit Master

its all good. ive been slowly stocking up on everything myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought some bricks of Blazer today, $29.99 per brick (500 rounds). Bobs Army and Navy, Clearfield PA, no limit. They even had .22 mag on the shelf. CCI Mini Mags were $22 (I think) for 300 round boxes.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast