Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor from 243 brass

Boolit Bub

6.5 Creedmoor from 243 brass

I came into a pile of 243 brass and was wanting to know if any of you have successfully converted it into 6.5 Creedmoor? I know 22-250 cases are preferred for forming 6.5 Creedmoor, but I would think 243 brass would work. Opinions?

Boolit Master

I haven't tried it myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult as long as you are willing to neck ream or turn.

Yes, I made a jig for a guy to trim 243 to 6.5 creedmoor. He says it is an easy process

Boolit Master

Its an easy process. I've done both 243-6.5Cr and 22-250 to 6.5Cr reforming. For your purposes, its a pass through to enlarge the neck/reform the shoulder and then a trim to proper length. If you have a tight chamber, you might have to thin the neck for the brass to chamber.

If you reform 22-250 to 6.5Cr than your first shot after resizing the neck should blow the case out to the proper taper as well.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I've converted 150 .243 Winchester cases to 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm using Hornady dies and find that the sizing die is too short to full length size and trim. The case shoulders crumple when the case mouth strikes the end of the die. So I screw the FL die in about 3 turns and expand the neck to 6.5 ( inside lubricate the neck to prevent shoulder collapse) I the trim the cases to 1.910" using a cordless drill with my Forster case trimmer. Full length resize, making sure there is no lube on the case shoulder to prevent shoulder dents/collapse. I use a lanolin/alcohol (Heat gas treatment) spray, wait until the alcohol evaporates and then wipe the neck/shoulder off before sizing. The cases generally emerge a little longer that 1.910 and with a "bump" at the shoulder because the .243 is slightly more tapered than the 6.5. Neck thickness has not been an issue with the Winchester and Federal cases I've converted. The necks of loaded rounds measure .290" , the same as the Hornady factory rounds I bought but haven't fired yet. Fire form with any bullet and the starting load listed for it. The cases eject perfectly formed. I fired all my newly formed cases in five shot groups with the new Hornady 140 gr ELD match bullet and 32.0 grains of IMR 4895 in my Ruger American. Smallest group was .68 the largest was 1.45" but the average including the stinker was still under an inch. I use .243 Winchester brass because it is the only new brass I can get in my area that is easy to convert.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOrgan View Post
    I've converted 150 .243 Winchester cases to 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm using Hornady dies and find that the sizing die is too short to full length size and trim. The case shoulders crumple when the case mouth strikes the end of the die. So I screw the FL die in about 3 turns and expand the neck to 6.5 ( inside lubricate the neck to prevent shoulder collapse) I the trim the cases to 1.910" using a cordless drill with my Forster case trimmer. Full length resize, making sure there is no lube on the case shoulder to prevent shoulder dents/collapse. I use a lanolin/alcohol (Heat gas treatment) spray, wait until the alcohol evaporates and then wipe the neck/shoulder off before sizing. The cases generally emerge a little longer that 1.910 and with a "bump" at the shoulder because the .243 is slightly more tapered than the 6.5. Neck thickness has not been an issue with the Winchester and Federal cases I've converted. The necks of loaded rounds measure .290" , the same as the Hornady factory rounds I bought but haven't fired yet. Fire form with any bullet and the starting load listed for it. The cases eject perfectly formed. I fired all my newly formed cases in five shot groups with the new Hornady 140 gr ELD match bullet and 32.0 grains of IMR 4895 in my Ruger American. Smallest group was .68 the largest was 1.45" but the average including the stinker was still under an inch. I use .243 Winchester brass because it is the only new brass I can get in my area that is easy to convert.
    Since it has to be fireformed, I'm probably better off selling the 243 brass and buying new Creedmoor brass

Boolit Bub
    I found 150 RP 22-250 cases, but they are nickel plated. I don't like nickel plated cases, because the necks seem to split more easily than brass. Do you think it would be worthwhile converting them to 6.5 Creedmoor?

What is the process for converting 22-220 cases? Just run them through a 6.5 Creedmoor FL sizer die, trim, and fireform or will I still have to neck turn them?

Banned

I have just tried reforming .243 brass to 6.5mm Creedmoor brass successfully. I used a Lee 6.5 CM full length sizing die, first with the neck mandrel removed then re-installed the mandrel and lubed the inside of the neck and ran it through again, checked the neck inside diameter and it is a match. Then I ran a 243 through without removing the mandrel and it worked just as well. My chamber on my 6.5 CM is kinda tight so I'm sure I'll have to turn the necks, but that's no big deal. Still have to trim to length and try to chamber but I was looking at this thread and wanted to post my results. I will update after trimming, chamber fit and neck turning if needed. Incidentally, I need to order some Imperial sizing wax, so I tried Vaseline and it worked great, and since I will be tumbling the brass any way it won't be a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Following this, my question is why would you have to turn the necks or ream as you are bumping up the neck diameter which should result in slightly thinner metal in the neck. Am I thinking about this incorrectly? Thanks

Banned

My concern was, with the shoulder bumped back so far there would be some of the shoulder brass in the neck after trimming. But it doesn't look like I'll need to turn the necks. I ran 5 of these and trimmed them down, then chambered them in the gun. Only one was just slightly sticky, but nothing of any concern. So unless I start having trouble closing the bolt, I won't need to turn any necks.

Boolit Mold
    You can usually can find 6.5 creed brass pretty cheap, especially once fired stuff, typically about .30 cents per case, not sure it is worth the hassle to convert it over from another caliber. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

Seat a bullet in a case and measure the loaded round dia and compare to others. Not real familiar with the 6.5 creedmoor. I think most of the new neck will be the old shoulder and possibly a small part of the body right below the shoulder.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely look as selling your 243 and buying 6.5 brass if you can find it. When 6.5CM first became popular brass was scarce and expensive. Reforming was a necessity at times. Now not so much. I started with 500 LC .308 cases with all the same year headstamp. Made some real nice tough brass but not without a few challenges. I'll have enough to probably last me for the rest of my life. 243 and 22-250 would be real good candidates for reforming if you want to give it a try. A case of close to the same length and requires the neck to be expanded is your best bet. Not as likely to form the dreaded neck donut. Squeezing down part of the case body to form the new neck can create problems.

Good luck, Floyd

Banned

Update on my test. I took 22 converted 243 cases out and fireformed them in my 6.5 CM today. I had two that the bolt wouldn't close on, I'll have to pull them down and mark with a Sharpie then try to chamber to see where my restriction is. I'm pretty pleased with my results, I now have 20 more 6.5 CM.

Boolit Buddy
    I just reformed 80 Hornady .243 cases to 6.5CM and they chambered fine, waiting on my case length gage from Midway to arrive before loading them. Have not tried firing them yet.

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried to chamber the first loaded round and it didn't chamber. Jammed halfway up the neck where the shoulder made part of the new neck. Bruce Drake's comment above is correct, "If you have a tight chamber, you might have to thin the neck for the brass to chamber." I outside trimmed the round in the lathe and it fit fine.

Steve

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Following this, my question is why would you have to turn the necks or ream as you are bumping up the neck diameter which should result in slightly thinner metal in the neck. Am I thinking about this incorrectly? Thanks
    That would be correct if you were necking .243 Win to .260 Rem since the cases are the same length. With the 6.5 CM you are sizing the shoulder and body down to form the neck on a shorter case than the 243 Win.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    As it turns out, the round that had the neck problem was a PPU headstamp, I had a few of them in the batch. Subsequently I loaded 10 all Hornady rounds, and they all chambered fine. I checked all the rounds and found 8 more PPU brass in the mix, so I masured them and they all exhibited the same swell close to the shoulder. I neck trimmed them all, loaded one to try it and it chambered fine.

Steve

Boolit Bub
    Hadn’t thought of trying this but I have a pile of 243 brass. Might have to give it a try...

Boolit Buddy
    Watch your cases, I have found differences between PPU and Hornady cases, measure close to shoulder. PPU measured .300, Hornady measured .290, PPU wouldn't chamber so I outside neck turned them to .290.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast