Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Found an odd 45 ACP case.

Found an odd 45 ACP case.

Ok so I didn't just find it, it blew out. Not some range find that had been shot for decades but a brand new never fired case. In 30+ years I haven't had it happen with a 45 ACP case, then again I'm not sure I have ever had new unfired brass either.

Photo of the crack that runs around the inside at the radius where the wall meets the head.

Boolit Master

Do you have other cases from the same lot?
    If so, how do they look?

Super Moderator Emeritus
    i have seen this several time where bullet improperly crimped and forced back in case. pressure spiked and blew case wonder if someones hand was hurt or grips blown off gun.

The primer shows no indication of anymore pressure than others.

I also decided to section an unfired case from the same lot, this is it under a 10x loupe.

That looks like a Starline case, and I'll bet that they'd be very appreciative if you'd send it to them to examine. Their brass is usually very high quality.

My first thought looking at the first picture was that the barrel has been undercut too far, perhaps modified by someone thinking that they were making it easier to run SWC's or something.
    It, I don't think was pressure, looking at the primer…if the case were buckled at the base she wouldn't have gone into battery.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

From what I can see on my phone, one side of the blow out looks much thinner than the other. Bad annealing job maybe?

Vendor Sponsor

Was this fired in a Glock by chance ?
    case of a bad case and unsupported chamber (not in any way slamming glock in specific!)
    Picture of the sectioned case shows some cracking of wall to head as well

I would document well and contact Starline for them to investigate .. You may save someone else for a real bad day/life ..

Hornady was real glad several years ago when we discovered a bad batch of 6.5 Grendel ammo.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    out of battery firing or unsupported case wall due to feed ramp mods...

Boolit Bub
    I've seen cases like that when the KA-BOOM brothers where still members of my R&P club.
    Double charge.

Gus

+1 on sending Starline a nice note. They are going to want that (lot?) brass back, with all the information available (gun, load, etc). Glad nobody got hurt.

Was this fired in a Glock by chance ?
    case of a bad case and unsupported chamber (not in any way slamming glock in specific!)
    Picture of the sectioned case shows some cracking of wall to head as well
    Unmodified FNP-45, locked up when fired, weighed charges and firing one at a time.

The sectioned case is unfired, right out of the Starline bag and into the saw.
    Last edited by jmorris; 06-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Besides the fact that the case that blew looks as if there is a separation all the way around where the head meets the side, and the unfired case looks as if it has the same separation. I would suspect that could cause a weakening of the case web which could have let go under normal pressures, but then again how the side of the case blew is suspect too, because if it was in a supported part of the chamber why would it blow out? Out of battery slightly? Feed ramp Bubba'ed up?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

thats a manufacturing problem with the first or second draw. someone was having a bad day and let it slip out the door.

I had a blow out like that when my round misfed and jammed the round to far in.

Wilson combat 1911 blew the grips right off.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Had the same thing happen about six years ago. The 45acp load was a 225 LRN, Wolf LP Primer, 5.8 gr Unique at 835. Blew the mag bottom out (wilson), spring, follower and several rounds. The grips were g10 micarta and held together but at the time felt like a beer can. An inspection of the range pick up brass revealed some questionable once fired modern manufactured brass, some with a ballon style heads defect. I found 6 others in the empties I had shot with the same headstamp so I demilled that headstamp of brass yet to shoot and scrapped it. The 1911 in question had a new (2k ago) Kart hardfit barrel and the throating was in spec. Be careful picking up any factory brass not made in the good ol usa.
    Last edited by Greg S; 06-09-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I always get a chuckle at all the folks who are assuming that this is
    caused by bad brass. Bull hockey.

To find the cause...... go look in the mirror.

Double charged with powder.

Seen it many times, looks exactly like that. The blowout is in the unsupported part
    at the feed ramp. If it is a plastic framed gun, usually totals the gun. 1911s just split
    the grips and go on, maybe ruin the mag.

Fix your reloading routine ensure no more double charges.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

look at his pretty pic of the sectioned unfired case, its the brass. having made brass for a living, that stuff should have never been let out the door. in the pic of the inside of the failed case, it failed right along the stress riser. im right there in the gorup that says 99.9% of blow outs are reloader error, but this is bad brass.

Double charged with powder.
    Negitive, was working up loads one round at a time with weighed charges. The blown case was at 4.5 grains, not 4.4 or 4.6 and certainly not 9.0.

The final load wound up being 4.9 grains pushing a 230 gn JHP to 811fps average.

Boolit Master

Every time I go to the range, I'm a brass magnet and pick up any and all I see. I have a collection of brass that looks "PREGNANT". I sit and watch what people are shooting and watch where there brass fall, and if some falls my way I'll pick it up and examine it. All of the "PREGNANT" brass I've found is from one gun, a "GLOCK". And yes, some of it is ruptured and they even happen to the Starline brass which I use as much as possible but with my Colt 1911's I've never had that problem. Don't know about the Colt Series 80's though because with all of their attorney approved safety devices, I have no use for them. When I see brass buldging and it's a Glock, I will very politely show the user what's happening to his rounds, explain the problems, and hope they listen. And with the exception of the Starline Brass, all of the "PREGNANT" rounds are factory loaded, just poor support when the round is chambered, another reason I'll never own a Glock. Just a personal opinion and observation so don't everyone go off on a tangent on this post, it's just personal obvervations that "I'VE" witnessed.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast