Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: How long would rolling tabacco last ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

How long would rolling tabacco last ?

How long would rolling/smoking tobacco last if sealed in food saver bags ? Been kept cool , in sealed 5 gal buckets ? Got a guess or experience ?

Boolit Master
    I smoked a 5yo pack of cigs once when I was hard up... was pretty harsh but got a nicotine buzz like it was my first time. Your results may varry.

Banned
    My guess is 10 years but that is just a guess. I would try it. Are you going to smoke it or eat it? (Yes I mean chew but I knew a kid in Ely Nevada that literally ate Coppenhagen. Never spit. Too tough for my liking. lol) Feed some to a pig and see if he gets sick first. haha.

Boolit Buddy

How long would rolling tabacco last ?

I put mine in 1/2 gal. Mason jars,vac.sealed with food saver,tried 2+year old last winter,just like fresh out of the bag.
    Can't see fighting Zombies with-out a smoke
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    We are putting up some new buckets of beans and such . We packed these buckets 8 years ago . I don't smoke anymore so was just wondering about the tobacco . Still vacuum packed in small bags with an oxygen absorber in each one . Looks like it did when put up . Got two 5 gal buckets of rolling tobacco .

Boolit Bub
    There's nothing bad going on to tobacco when stored for long time. It can only dry out, but you can reverse the process by packing a water soaked piece of a clay pot to the tobacco. It will re-moisture and be as fine as ever was.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Since you don't smoke it should be good trading material, when they get desperate enough they will smoke just about anything.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Back when I smoked a pipe I got to where I was ordering a case of 14 oz cans of Velvet pipe tobbaco at a whack. When the tax was going to double I doubled my order.

Sealed in airtight vacuum sealed cans the last can was just as good as the first. And that was some 3 years later.

Getting the air out makes a huge difference.

Boolit Master
    If the tobacco is too dry, you could grate it to snuff...

Boolit Master
    glass bottles, mason jars seal much more tightly than any plastic in my experience has been that plastic bags break down after only a few years and and whatever you put in them gets to tasting and smelling like the plastic, pests like to chew on them every time i dont store filled bags in sealed metal tins. Them mice get real hungry in dead of winter. there is nothing like pulling out an old freezer bag of processed brass that was put up years ago and they end up scattered all over the floor and everything else. not sure about plastic buckets.

Boolit Buddy
    My research has been with pipe tobacco but it sort of translates. Some tobaccos are better for aging (cellering) than others. Virginas improve over time, depending on the blend/personal taste being aged 30,40,50 years or longer. Burly does not improve with age merely keeps on keeping on and does not degrade in flavor. Aromatics on the other do not age well, they do not improve in flavor and after a while begin to taste like the underlying tobacco blend. Latikia improves up until the 15 or 20 year mark for many peoples tastes.

The best way to store tobacco for the long term is in mason jars kept in a cool dark place off of a concrete floor.

As for the food saver bags are they vacuum sealed or ziplock? If ziplock a few months to a year is what is recommended. If vacuum sealed, hard to say since the point of cellering tobacco is to improve flavor, which requires an amount of air to work. So vacuum ceiling is not normally used, plus the expense of buying a vacuum sealer. My guess a few years at least but there are better options for a prepper.
    "A house divided against its self can not stand" Abraham Lincoln

We hunters, trappers, fishermen, and shooting sports enthusiasts are the house. But we are divided and are our own worst enemy. If we do not stand together we will fall individually.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulliwig View Post
    There's nothing bad going on to tobacco when stored for long time. It can only dry out, but you can reverse the process by packing a water soaked piece of a clay pot to the tobacco. It will re-moisture and be as fine as ever was.
    Technically yes, the only problem with long term storage is mold/mildew. So if you avoid that then your fine. The problem is what the tobacco tastes like after the storage. Which if stored improperly or over the age limit of the type of tobacco used then it will taste like ****.
    "A house divided against its self can not stand" Abraham Lincoln

We hunters, trappers, fishermen, and shooting sports enthusiasts are the house. But we are divided and are our own worst enemy. If we do not stand together we will fall individually.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Get some seeds, grow your own.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Sealed cans of Grizzly seem to last months in a refrigerator (forgot about one once). Didnt seem too far off. Sealed and temp controlled I would think should last a long bit!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have cigars stored in a huge poly cooler with a humidifying system. Stored at about 70 degrees and at 70% RH. Many are 8 years old and still excellent. Look at the Cigar Oasis...I have their large model but there may be other makes out there. Use distilled water.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Since you don't smoke it should be good trading material, when they get desperate enough they will smoke just about anything.
    ^^^This would be my thinking ^^^

I just quit smoking a month ago due to emphysema(COPD is the new term I'm told.) killing me, but if I had not, I would smoke it & put up new if I was going to re stock. But, I would do it like others mentioned & put it up in something other than plastic, or at least plastic inside of something like mason jars.

G'luck in your decision. Hope it works out for ya in the best way!

JB