RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an AR-9 Need parts help

Banned

Building an AR-9 Need parts help

The wife is wanting an AR in 9mm so I am once again parts hunting. I do not want a completed upper. I wish to assemble it myself. So, if you have a favorite bolt assembly,upper, lower,barrel, and such please do mention it.I do want it to use GLOCK magazines without an adapter if possible but will consider anything posted.

I have not built one but one of our sponsers Palmetto does have the parts you seek.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-ar15-lowers/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ks-47...ar-9/ar-9.html
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The PSA kit uses standard colt mags , uzi mags are supposed to be easy to covert. I have one and it runs great with full power fmj

Boolit Master
    Sometimes they can be a nightmare to get to run. The mags are critical. Brownells sells some they re-brand under their own name and they work really, really well. They have a black, rounded follower. I have had ZERO success with the mags that have the square-ish, orange followers...
    [

Boolit Man

I built mine on a quarter circle 10 (http://www.quartercircle10.com/) lower, with their barrel and bolt, and a Rainer slick side upper. Their stuff is a little pricey, but runs like a champ. If you want the last round BHO to function correctly, you need to put the +10% mag springs in your Glock mags that you use for the rifle.
    Last edited by g.man10mm; 06-05-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master

The deal on Colt style magazines are the Metalform sold by Palmetto State Armory. They run sales on a semi regular basis.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Gentlemen - if you would take the time to go to the link I posted for the OP and look you will see
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-g...sic-lower.html

PSA 9MM BILLET COMPLETE CLASSIC LOWER - USES GLOCK®-STYLE MAGAZINES

4 Reviews | Add Your Review

IN STOCK

$ 299.99
    $ 259.99

SKU: 7781307
    UPC: 7781307
    MFR#:

PSA 9mm Billet Complete Classic Lower designed to use Glock®-style magazines
    Palmetto State Armory is proud to announce our latest 9mm AR lower.
    Machined from Billet 7075 T6 forgings and then hard coat anodized, these lowers are purpose built to accept 9mm Glock®-style magazines. Designed to work with PSA's new 9mm Hybrid uppers. The lower is assembled with a Palmetto State Armory lower build kit with a classic A2 Grip, 6 position Buffer tube and PSA M4-style stock.
    Must be used with a Palmetto State Armory Hybrid 9mm Upper.
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    The PSA kit uses standard colt mags , uzi mags are supposed to be easy to covert. I have one and it runs great with full power fmj
    The PSA I linked too does NOT use standard colt magazines, or adapted UZI mags.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    I guess I won't be buying anything until they have the matching uppers or upper parts in stock.

Boolit Master
    I have put together a couple myself. I did not use the PSA parts because A, I put together mine before these lowers were available, and B because I do not like the proprietary nature of the upper and lower combo to get a last round bolt hold open function. Never been a Palmetto fanboy. I used a conversion block in a standard lower "both", and a green mountain 9mm barrel in one while I used a kaw valley in another. One is 10.5" and the other is a 4.5". I prefer the 10.5 with the suppressor because it is quieter. One has a CMMG bolt carrier group, and the other I used the new frontier modular BCG. Both work just fine. I use the standard AR upper nothing fancy, and colt style 9mm mags. The conversion blocks can get spendy, but do work well. For a tinkerer like myself I was able to get the promag elchepo block to work well, and drop in from the top with a few modifications, but would not recommend them for a build unless you have a rotary tool and some patience. I found smoothing out the feed ramps on the barrels to be necessary for reliable function with hollow points as well. 9mm AR builds can be quite a bit more finicky to get running right, and in my experience take more patience than just slapping them together like you can do with a standard 5.56 assembly.
    There are some 80% options available now for glock mags. I buy parts from Joebobs, and JSE surplus. I will give you some links to them as well as green Mt. Shop around there is a bunch of info and parts suppliers out there. AIM seems to have one of the best prices on colt style mags. Because of the price they sell out fast. Get on the mailing list if you want those. Just don't buy ammo from them lol. Whole nother story there, and if you did in the past you may want to get a hold of them. They are offering free credit monitoring for a year. Other orders were not affected.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sear...?q=ar9&Submit=
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_...-80percent.htm
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m9-1...nd-phosphated/

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar9mm.aspx

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e+SS+Magazines
    Last edited by xacex; 06-08-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I guess I won't be buying anything until they have the matching uppers or upper parts in stock.
    It's PSA, good luck on catching the glock lowers and 9mm uppers in stock at the same time.
    If it happens, buy then, something will go out of stock in a few minutes.

Since they will ship separately it doesn't really matter.
    My issue is that I cannot find any reviews on their carbines.
    They are fairly new, and PSA has a rep for having issues with new products.

They gave the best pricing on glock AR parts, but are they worth it?

Any other dedicated glock AR looks to be around 1k.

I have the Jones for a pistol caliber carbine, but will probably opt for a lower priced solution while the glock AR market nature's.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Any other dedicated glock AR looks to be around 1k.

I have the Jones for a pistol caliber carbine, but will probably opt for a lower priced solution while the glock AR market nature's.

I continue to be amazed by how expensive all PCC's are, with the exception of the HiPoint. I, too, would really love something like a 9mm AR, eventually SBR'ed. I cannot justify the cost, though. I, for one, believe a SBR in 9mm would make an excellent inside-the-home defense weapon. Sure, a 5.56 would be more effective, but how hard is it to make headshots inside of 10 yards with a shoulder-mounted weapon? And do you really want to be touching off such a nasty-loud cartridge indoors? Do you wear your hearing pro around all day long?

An SBR in 9mm might not be a great all-around gun (think 50+ yards), but it sure beats the pistol I would be using inside my home as an alternative. Plus I bet they're just dang fun to shoot - ok that might be 99.99% of the rationale!

Boolit Master
    I was just pricing hi-points at the shop today.
    Our distributors finally have the 9mm in stock again.
    Looks like glock mag kel-techs are making an appearance, but mostly in 40.

I got to handle the psa 9mm glock AR at the NRA show.
    It felt like an AR, what can I say,
    Can't tell much until you get to shoot a gun.
    Was really disappointed in the PSA booth, just 5 or 6 guns, 1 glock AR, 1 ak/ar.
    No 308.
    Really wanted to check out more of their available models.
    And see their 1911.

Current reviews on their 5.56 ARs are good, but haven't read much else good on them.

Boolit Master
    Quarter circle gets great reviews

Boolit Master
    Hit reply too early.
    QC10 guns felt great at the NRA show, but they were in pistol config with cans and wrist braces, just waiting to be sbr'd.

Sbr's are a new thing in IL, but no cans yet.
    A PCC is just crying out for a short barrel.

Boolit Man
    I built one with New Frontier Armory billet upper, lower and match barrel. So far I am pleased with it all although it was an expensive build.

Boolit Buddy
    Hit reply too early.
    QC10 guns felt great at the NRA show, but they were in pistol config with cans and wrist braces, just waiting to be sbr'd.

Sbr's are a new thing in IL, but no cans yet.
    A PCC is just crying out for a short barrel.

Couldn't agree more. While 5.56 is a little ridiculous below 10 or so inches, 9mm doesn't gain hardly anything after 7 or 8. Anything more is just added weight and less manuverability, IMO.

Obviously you could work up some ridiculous 9mm load that needs all 16+ inches, but it would suck (wouldn't even function?) out of a handgun. I'm sure someone has done that. Link to results?

Boolit Master
    So off the top of my head, ar glock mag manufacturers-
    QC10
    New frontier
    Lone wolf
    PSA
    At least one other i can't remember.

Alternatives-
    Just right carbine (ar like, takes ar parts/furniture)
    Mec-tech (glock upper)
    Kel-tech sub 2k (glock, Beretta mag)

Who else am I missing?

Apologies to the op, but this is a subject I am very interested in and I am not sold on the PSA versions, just not enough (any) feedback on them yet.

Shot a few rounds through a 9mm JRC this weekend, some last round failures to feed in the first few mags, then it functioned ok.
    Still we only ran 50-75 rounds through it.
    Cleaning is a big complaint, but after the first time and with a decent wrench it is no big deal.
    Just need an Allen wrench, ar wrench, and some way to hold the hammer down(use Allen wrench).
    Took me a while today between customers, but I bet I could do take down and cleaning in 5-10 minutes with practice.
    If you get one, get the jrc wrench.

Newer version is supposed to make take down even easier, haven't played with one yet.
    Modular design, caliber and mag conversions.
    Takes either Smith M&P or glock mags.
    Neat in theory, but I would love to put a few hundred more rounds through one before laying down the cash for one.

Not a fan of the take down, no way to mount a front site, and I do not like the quad rail the standard version comes with, but I am a minimalist.

I really wanted to pull the quad rail off and throw something else on it, but the mag pull wrench we have at the shop will not fit the nut on the JRC (again get the JRC wrench, should come with the gun).

Boolit Grand Master
    Palmetto has a daily special on there e-mail page. Sign up for it. They have everything you need. Never bought a barrel. 1:7 seems to be the latest twist. I prefer 1:8 or 1:9.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

JPrifles, American Spirit Arms, Matrix are a few missed. Plenty of boutique outfits rebranding, or rather branding NF made products along with larger dealers as JoeBob.

Boolit Master
    You missed one of the best alternative, the Beratta CX4 storm. Mine is short, fast and 100 percent reliable. Plus it converts for leftys. It takes 92 type mags and they have a great 30 round mag for it.
    So off the top of my head, ar glock mag manufacturers-
    QC10
    New frontier
    Lone wolf
    PSA
    At least one other i can't remember.

Alternatives-
    Just right carbine (ar like, takes ar parts/furniture)
    Mec-tech (glock upper)
    Kel-tech sub 2k (glock, Beretta mag)

Who else am I missing?

Apologies to the op, but this is a subject I am very interested in and I am not sold on the PSA versions, just not enough (any) feedback on them yet.

Shot a few rounds through a 9mm JRC this weekend, some last round failures to feed in the first few mags, then it functioned ok.
    Still we only ran 50-75 rounds through it.
    Cleaning is a big complaint, but after the first time and with a decent wrench it is no big deal.
    Just need an Allen wrench, ar wrench, and some way to hold the hammer down(use Allen wrench).
    Took me a while today between customers, but I bet I could do take down and cleaning in 5-10 minutes with practice.
    If you get one, get the jrc wrench.

Newer version is supposed to make take down even easier, haven't played with one yet.
    Modular design, caliber and mag conversions.
    Takes either Smith M&P or glock mags.
    Neat in theory, but I would love to put a few hundred more rounds through one before laying down the cash for one.

Not a fan of the take down, no way to mount a front site, and I do not like the quad rail the standard version comes with, but I am a minimalist.

I really wanted to pull the quad rail off and throw something else on it, but the mag pull wrench we have at the shop will not fit the nut on the JRC (again get the JRC wrench, should come with the gun).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast