RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: .60 caliber round ball

Banned

.60 caliber round ball

Picked up a Lyman mold from a gun shop that is closing down for what would have been a decent price just for the handles on it, so I figure I'd do good either way.

Finally cast some a couple of days ago, cast them a lot harder than I'd normally do trying to get the diameter up, but they came out to .602, so small anyway. Tried the fit of one in a little junk single shot I keep in the shop and the ball dropped straight through the modified choke barrel.

Did I waste my time casting these? I'm guessing they're way too big to fit inside a shotcup and too small to be full diameter in a rifled gun. Would these possibly be ok just for short range loads in a smoothbore choked barrel?

Boolit Master

Heckuva 2-ball load in multimetal type shot cup.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

In a 20 gauge? What is a multimetal shot cup?

Boolit Master

Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I load 3 .60 balls in a triball 12 guage load, lots of bluedot, they are serious kickers.

In Remembrance

Exactly! Perfect tri-ball components!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

Carl, with all the rain good to see your head above water!
    Leonard Ravenhill

Here ya go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Ya no kidding.
    Got a lot of rain here , not nearly as bad as Houston, of course. And Fort Hood did lose those soldiers, which was very sad.

Believe it or not, I plan to get out and finally test those loads: zlugs and dino's slugs, in the next month or so.

Cant believe how LITTLE shooting time I've had in the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Carl, with all the rain good to see your head above water!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

Great size for a ML fowler with .620 bore also! Patched or wadded IMHO Wanna sell it?

Banned

Might just play around with it first. I'll keep you in mind.

Boolit Master

My middle son (USMC son) calls my tri-ball loads my T-Rex hunting loads...

Boolit Master
    Moonie, hehehehe... Going far far far off topic. I have a little nephew who loves everything dino-. Naturally uncle HAD to watch and rewatch all the jurassic stuff. Ever saw how unpreppared to cope with a dino crisis they were? At least in the last movie, the "mr niceguy" had a marlin with big boolits of 45-70 I guess. A 12ga with tri-ball would make terrific raptor medicine. Not sure about T-Rex, they should call Hubel maybe... LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
    Moonie, hehehehe... Going far far far off topic. I have a little nephew who loves everything dino-. Naturally uncle HAD to watch and rewatch all the jurassic stuff. Ever saw how unpreppared to cope with a dino crisis they were? At least in the last movie, the "mr niceguy" had a marlin with big boolits of 45-70 I guess. A 12ga with tri-ball would make terrific raptor medicine. Not sure about T-Rex, they should call Hubel maybe... LOL
    My 16 year old daughter and I do all the shark and dinosaur movies, she actually read the Michael Crichton book. The two of us saw the latest one together, father daughter date. Yea, jacketed soft points in that 45-70... Better served with a 500+gr hard cast against those critters.

Banned

I finally got around to trying some of these today. Loaded some Winchester AA hulls using first 15 grains of Unique and then bumped up to 17 (I was referencing a 7/8 ounce field load in my Lyman book), used a standard Winchester trap wad with the petals cut off since this ball seems to big to use inside a shotcup. Some time ago, I bought a big box of 20 gauge fiber wads that are about a half inch thick, so I put one of those on top of the cut down trap wad and then the ball on top with a little corn meal on top of that. All this was done with a Lee Load All and shot them in a cheapie Rossi single barrel I keep in the shop for varmints, 26" or so barrel, chambered for 3" shells, modified choke.

I was surprised at the accuracy for a first try. Both five shot groups from a less than perfect rest and only the front bead to aim with came out to about four inches at 35 yards or so. Most of my deer hunting shots aren't much farther than that, and I could probably be just as steady for a tree stand as I was today.

I'll tweak this load a bit and try it in some other guns, but I sure wasn't expecting things to work this well first try.