MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 572 Field Master

Banned

Remington 572 Field Master

How are these little rifles. I've kind of got the itch for a pump .22, mainly so it can use the quiet ammo and still cycle follow up shots pretty fast. Are these as accurate as most .22s?

I never really payed that much attention to them, they seemed to be pretty common a few years ago, now I'm surprised at the prices they seem to be commanding.

Boolit Master

I had the deluxe model, not what you'd call a tack driver, but worked very well on all types of varmints.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

In Remembrance

I had one in the buckskin tan aluminum models in the 1960's that was a tack driver. I think the ammo back then was more accurate than what we get today. I won many backwoods shooting contests with it. Wish I had never traded it. One on gun broker is priced at $800.

Boolit Master

I have one, a 60's vintage from a great aunt, aluminum anodized a copper color with a light maple stock. Very beautiful rifle. It has always shot well.

Banned

Can't believe the kind of prices these are bringing. Are they still being made?

I passed by a pretty nice High Standard pump about a year ago, might should have bought it now that I think about it.

Boolit Master

not a pump action but a bolt action.....Mossburg model 42.....VERY accurate and shoots short, longs and long rifle.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned

I have a couple of good bolt actions, looking for something with fast follow up shots.

I do like all those old bolt guns Mossberg used to make. I wish someone would make good, inexpensive .22s like they used to.

Good or inexpensive, choose one.

Banned

The thing is, those older ones were both. I was looking at an old Marlin in a pawn shop the other day, similar bolt action, nice walnut, highly polished blueing and it wasn't an expensive, high end gun when it was new. Even the run of the mill stuff was nice then.

Boolit Master
    I had one that was a tack driver. However, the receivers are made of aluminum, and get worn. When this happens, they will unlock with little or no help from you. I had to physically put forward pressure on the forearm to keep it from unlocking. I first noticed it when resting on a bench rest for target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The thing is, those older ones were both. I was looking at an old Marlin in a pawn shop the other day, similar bolt action, nice walnut, highly polished blueing and it wasn't an expensive, high end gun when it was new. Even the run of the mill stuff was nice then.
    I have an old Winchester model 72A bolt rifle. No serial number but is grooved for a scope. I have had it for 52 years myself. It will still shoot minute of squirrel head at 50 yards. Not a target gun, but good enough. I don't know if it was an expensive gun at the time or not. I bought it from my brother for $20 in 1964.
    Anything you get now that is certain to be highly accurate is going to be expensive. The manufacturers just don't put the care into the barrels and actions without wanting serious bucks for them these days.

Banned

I also have a 72A and like it. I also have a Remington (511, 512, 514, can't remember, clip fed) from the same era that will easily outshoot the Winchester, but I don't like it as well. Just something about that diminutive short bolt travel on the 72A and 69A that's appealing.

Maybe I jut need to learn to work a bolt faster.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I also have a 72A and like it. I also have a Remington (511, 512, 514, can't remember, clip fed) from the same era that will easily outshoot the Winchester, but I don't like it as well. Just something about that diminutive short bolt travel on the 72A and 69A that's appealing.

Maybe I jut need to learn to work a bolt faster.
    I also have the Remington clip fed bolt action you speak of. I inherited it from my father. I haven't shot it much so can't comment on how well it shoots. Dad didn't take very good care of the Remington while he had it in his later years so the rifle isn't in very good shape. I wish it was easier to put a scope on since I would shoot it more that way.
    I am looking into getting a CZ452(or 455) Ultra Lux in the near future. Not cheap but not terribly expensive either. Reputation says they are superbly accurate.

Boolit Master

You might look for an old High Standard SportsKing semi auto which is also accurate and will give those quick follow up shots. I have one and at a cost of $135.00 it qualifies as inexpensive and accurate. I stuck a old weaver 1.5 on it and its good out to 100 yds.
    I like those rifles with the long tubular magazines....15 rods with LR or more with Shorts and you can really create havoc downrange
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned
    I had one years ago and it was a decent rifle. From an accuracy viewpoint, I would put it on par with say a Marlin model 60. It was more than adequate as a general use .22 rifle. The trigger worked but wasn't awesome. The chamber was probably cut a little larger than needed to put functioning over accuracy. The sights were adequate but not really designed for target work. The trigger group on a Field Master reminds me of a 870 shotgun trigger group whenever I see one. In fact, it attaches to the receiver in much the same fashion. The parts are largely stamped steel but in true Remington fashion, they make it all work while keeping the price down. Overall I would say it was a good solid Remington rimfire and a lot of fun to shoot but not a top end target gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 572 a friend gave me. He lives in Texas and found it at a garage sale. The barrel was badly rusted inside and out. I found a replacement on Gunbroker. It shoots almost as well as my 581 bolt action. Have to bead blast the previous owners name off the receiver and GunKote it and refinish the stock.

In Remembrance

[QUOTE=atr;3668370]You might look for an old High Standard SportsKing semi auto which is also accurate and will give those quick follow up shots. I have one and at a cost of $135.00 it qualifies as inexpensive and accurate. I stuck a old weaver 1.5 on it and its good out to 100 yds.
    I like those rifles with the long tubular magazines....15 rods with LR or more with Shorts and you can really create havoc downrange

I had one of these also and it was extremely accurate. Lost it in a burgulary.

Banned

Semi autos won't cycle with the quiet ammo.

I have a 572 that was my grandpa's, it was missing an ejector and a couple other small parts when I got it, I found the parts at Numrich, it is back in order now and is one of my favorite guns to shoot, my daughters love shooting it too.

Boolit Grand Master

The High Standard is easy enough to work as a bolt action. One model High Standard had the ability to be changed from semi to bolt action. I had one with the sling that pulled out of the stock and one without. both were accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast