Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 remington, case fireforming, can I do this?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    If you are a stickler for case formed correctly the first time without fire forming you could buy .38-55 Win brass and form it so that your shoulder is in the correct location.
    + one on this a much easier route to go!

Boolit Master
    Suggesting .375 brass is nearly a worthless idea since they go for about $3.00 apiece now - which means supply is so poor that they are not worth looking for.
    That is indeed the problem if you have to pay that much or can't find any. Midway say it is unavailable and in limited production, which may mean an occasional run. Neither of us know whether the firms which do claim availability actually have it. Also plenty of people have some, or know someone who has. It was worth mentioning.

http://www.eabco.net/375-Winchester-...0_p_13543.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ster-bag-of-50

https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting...ns-br-375ws-20

Buffalo Arms describe their .38-55 as being of modern metallurgy but greater capacity than .375 Winchester, and advise keeping pressure down to 38,000 CUP. That would give very useful performance in the .35 Remington, though perhaps not all some people would like to do with it.

When I don't say someone's information is nearly worthless, it may well mean total endorsement of their opinion. Some of the time.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Here's a question to ask .
    From custom brass real 30 Rem is $55 /100 and $16 shipping so $71/100 . Quick trip through the annealing process and a trip through the sizer and it's 32 Rem or for $187/100 ready to load you can have correct headstamp too .
    Or buy 30-30 @ $60/100 and spend hours making it rimless , or making it out of range brass from 14 lots spread over the last 50-60 years .
    Maybe if I had the lathe and a 1step tool it would be worth $27 to convert new brass , it certainly would be if I knew that the range brass was all recent 1x . But to pay someone to make the cuts $27 and an hr at the press is cheap . I flinch at $117 difference for the correct HS but Ms shot a pig last spring with with a box of 30 WCF 1961 150 gr Silver tip Winchesters in their om box so what do I know
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Why don't you read all the information at each of those links?

1. Eabco >>>Our 375 Win brass is made from brand new, unfired 30-30 brass. The headstamp reads "30-30 Win"*. As you probably know, original 375 Winchester headstamped brass is awfully hard to come by. We have developed a proprietary brass forming process to make straight walled 375 Winchester compatible brass from original bottleneck 30-30 brass with NO FIREFORMING. Depending on availability, we have used brand new unfired 30-30 brass from several manufacturers including Remington, Winchester, PPU, and Hornady.

2. Midway - Not available as you say

3. Westernmetal - They are once fired at $1.00 each and they are not available. Westernmetal is a Canuck site and I cannot purchase from them.

Check gunbroker and you will find a bag of 50 cases that is still being bid on and they are up to $125.
    So far as I know NO company has advertised it in 4 or 5 years. The only bulk buy of it that I was ever able to find was about 20 years ago and it was relatively expensive then.
    I have 2 rifles and a Contender barrel for this caliber. Little did I know that my pack ratted pile of brass would become more valuable than any of my rifles.
    I am not sure why you mention .35 Rem but I have plenty of brass for it too. These rounds are all used because they work well with mild cast bullet loads.
    The .375 Win is not really needed loaded to its maximum. It is a good round for cast bullets. If you want to run it at maximum pressure get a more powerful cartridge.

I have looked for bargains for about 20 years and have monitored auctions on gunbroker for several years. I can say that searching for a retail source of this brass is a waste of time if you value your time and you are unwilling to pay $3 a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    That is indeed the problem if you have to pay that much or can't find any. Midway say it is unavailable and in limited production, which may mean an occasional run. Neither of us know whether the firms which do claim availability actually have it. Also plenty of people have some, or know someone who has. It was worth mentioning.

http://www.eabco.net/375-Winchester-...0_p_13543.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ster-bag-of-50

https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting...ns-br-375ws-20

Buffalo Arms describe their .38-55 as being of modern metallurgy but greater capacity than .375 Winchester, and advise keeping pressure down to 38,000 CUP. That would give very useful performance in the .35 Remington, though perhaps not all some people would like to do with it.

When I don't say someone's information is nearly worthless, it may well mean total endorsement of their opinion. Some of the time.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-09-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Don't let your imagination run away with things.
    Lots of 30-30 brass can be found at indoor ranges. This brass has never been on the ground and you can often pick it out by head stamp.
    I guess it pays to be an older hand loader because all of my 30-30 brass was swapped for other range brass or it was bought from indoor ranges when it was $.05 each.
    Using my $5 /hundred brass it is very inexpensive to turn it into what ever I want. I have the advantage of about 10,000 hrs running lathes.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Here's a question to ask .
    From custom brass real 30 Rem is $55 /100 and $16 shipping so $71/100 . Quick trip through the annealing process and a trip through the sizer and it's 32 Rem or for $187/100 ready to load you can have correct headstamp too .
    Or buy 30-30 @ $60/100 and spend hours making it rimless , or making it out of range brass from 14 lots spread over the last 50-60 years .
    Maybe if I had the lathe and a 1step tool it would be worth $27 to convert new brass , it certainly would be if I knew that the range brass was all recent 1x . But to pay someone to make the cuts $27 and an hr at the press is cheap . I flinch at $117 difference for the correct HS but Ms shot a pig last spring with with a box of 30 WCF 1961 150 gr Silver tip Winchesters in their om box so what do I know
    EDG

I didn't fall off the turnip truck and into the loading room yesterday .

I have turned 30-30 and 32 Win Special for 32 Rem which is represented as being "a twin rimless" of the others . It is not it is more like a Weatherby shouldered AI . Having a 32 Rem I have been through the mill to make brass for it . I found pulled factory brass to be too long in my chamber . I also found that I had to use the false shoulder method to get correct shoulder length.
    I found after many searches that the last factory regular production run of 32 REMINGTON was in 1964 by Winchester/Olin . 12 yr ago at $38 per box of 20 available from Old West Scrounger . There were a couple of reformed brass sources and small lots to be had here and there .
    Right now at 55 cents per case plus shipping for neck up sister brass is ......um ........cost effective many times over for cutting it out of 30-30 . 375 vs 38-55 was never a question perhaps if it were needed to make brass for a 7x6.8 wildcat or 6.8 Rem SPC it might be considered , if there were zero 35 Remington brass available with a Lee bulge buster for 40 S&W or 10 mm .

Fortune has smiled on me having secured 200+ NOS 32 REMINGTON brass and factory loaded ammo and plenty of FC 6.8 and RP and S&B for the 7x6.8 .

Carcano brass could also be run through a bulge buster and resized and trimmed for the REMINGTON cartridges .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    You apparently have never ran a lathe much or you would not think it is so difficult to make cases.
    I do not consider $.55 cents a case very cost effective when my time is free (because I enjoy the work). Holding the cases is easy using a Wilson trimmer case holder and a 1" 5C collet.
    All you have to do is turn off the rim on all the cases and cut an extractor groove. The rest of the case forming is routine work. So what if you lose one. There are millions more .30-30 cases out there. If you would get past the focus on small quantities you could buy 500 once fired 30-30 cases and modify all of them and never have to mess with making 32 Rem cases again.

You might want to try the Lee bulge buster idea before you bank on it. I have formed 7.62 Nato brass to 6.5 Jap which is also about .445 on the head.
    However Jap chambers are about .450. I split several dies in the process. So here is a quote that covers the topic - In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice they are not.
    I think you learned that with your Carcano adventure.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the 6.8 SPC. For the most part it is worthless since at 1.667" long it is too short for any of these cases.
    The Carcano is too large in the head and is too expensive to be forming to something else when you can use .30-30 cases. I would much rather turn rims than swage case heads.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck and into the loading room yesterday .

I have turned 30-30 and 32 Win Special for 32 Rem which is represented as being "a twin rimless" of the others . It is not it is more like a Weatherby shouldered AI . Having a 32 Rem I have been through the mill to make brass for it . I found pulled factory brass to be too long in my chamber . I also found that I had to use the false shoulder method to get correct shoulder length.
    I found after many searches that the last factory regular production run of 32 REMINGTON was in 1964 by Winchester/Olin . 12 yr ago at $38 per box of 20 available from Old West Scrounger . There were a couple of reformed brass sources and small lots to be had here and there .
    Right now at 55 cents per case plus shipping for neck up sister brass is ......um ........cost effective many times over for cutting it out of 30-30 . 375 vs 38-55 was never a question perhaps if it were needed to make brass for a 7x6.8 wildcat or 6.8 Rem SPC it might be considered , if there were zero 35 Remington brass available with a Lee bulge buster for 40 S&W or 10 mm .

Fortune has smiled on me having secured 200+ NOS 32 REMINGTON brass and factory loaded ammo and plenty of FC 6.8 and RP and S&B for the 7x6.8 .

Carcano brass could also be run through a bulge buster and resized and trimmed for the REMINGTON cartridges .
    Last edited by EDG; 12-09-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    EDG

I have turned rims .
    It was not a terrible experience.
    30-30 is not a common at our ranges here .
    I don't have a lathe .
    If I pay 30-50 cents for a 1x , and 50-1.00 for new brass in common cartridges , it makes little sense to spend the additional time beyond the simple joy/satisfaction of making something out of something else .

I enjoyed the adventure of making a few 7 and 8x57 , 257 Roberts , 358 Win , 45 Raptor from 270 because I had lots of it . I even made a few shouldered cases out of 308 for 45 Colts shotshells . Of course all of this is just gently jamming a case in a sizing die or 2 maybe 3 and cutting to length . I even choked a few cracked neck Mausers down to 243 and 22-250 just to prove I could . I loathe making 222 so when it was available I bought some , enough to hold me 15-20 yr I'd guess .

Boolit Master
    Graf & Sons has .25,.30,and .32 Remington brass available.$42.99 for 50 cases dealer price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    Graf & Sons has .25,.30,and .32 Remington brass available.$42.99 for 50 cases dealer price.
    Problem solved (again). Not to mention someone on the following thread buying .375 Winchester from them for the same price a week ago, as well as other possible sources. You aren't wasting time, even your own, by considering procedures and sources which might become necessary in the future.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...06#post3871006
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 12-10-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Mold
    This new availability of 32 Rem brass ( and also 25 and 30 Rem) is a real godsend. I had been looking everywhere since April when I got the gun, and could find absolutely nothing until now. Some places said they had it, but "out of stock."
    Happy to say have just obtained some new 32 brass, and reloading and shooting it now. Will see how many reloads I can get out of a case, using starting loads, and won't go over a mid-range load.
    Availability of this brass probably good "while supply lasts!"

Boolit Grand Master

If you are a stickler for case formed correctly the first time without fire forming you could buy .38-55 Win brass and form it so that your shoulder is in the correct location.
    Old thread but I've seen an old Rem Slide for a song as I doubt most have no idea what it is. Picked my interest and although Graf's has it I'm interested in this as I've only seen brass that needs the rim turned down with a lathe. Can you expand upon this?
    Last edited by jonp; 05-11-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    when i fire form brass i put 6-10 grs. of UNIQUE with COW- PABLUM-or FARINA, on top of the powder. then push the case mouth into a hard bar of soap- IRISH SPRING- or IVORY, or canning wax to seal it, then fire straight up into the air- this increases the pressure, as opposed as to straight line firing.

Boolit Master
    Remington Slide? a slide what?
    The 3 rem cases are .25 Rem., .30 Rem., and 32 Rem that all use the same head diameter.

The .38-55 case can be formed like a basic case to each of the 3 Rem cases above.
    I would not buy the .38-55 brass when the Grafs brass is available.
    If you have the knowledge and patience you can make all 3 cases from once fired 30-30 cases which are a much cheaper starting place.

I have no idea what you mean by "as I've only seen brass that needs the rim turned down with a lathe."
    The 38-55 brass also has a rim that has to be turned off.

It seems that some people come to this forum and they want brass they can buy cheap and brass that they do not have to do much if any work to to use.
    It does not work that way. Sometimes you spend a lot of time and money and effort just to get a mediocre case that will go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Old thread but I've seen an old Rem Slide for a song as I doubt most have no idea what it is. Picked my interest and although Graf's has it I'm interested in this Can you expand upon this?
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I don't know how you can say that. From my observations 30-30 is by far the most common hunting rifle brass discarded everywhere I have ever shot.

I have turned rims .
    It was not a terrible experience.
    30-30 is not a common at our ranges here .
    I don't have a lathe .
    If I pay 30-50 cents for a 1x , and 50-1.00 for new brass in common cartridges , it makes little sense to spend the additional time beyond the simple joy/satisfaction of making something out of something else .

I enjoyed the adventure of making a few 7 and 8x57 , 257 Roberts , 358 Win , 45 Raptor from 270 because I had lots of it . I even made a few shouldered cases out of 308 for 45 Colts shotshells . Of course all of this is just gently jamming a case in a sizing die or 2 maybe 3 and cutting to length . I even choked a few cracked neck Mausers down to 243 and 22-250 just to prove I could . I loathe making 222 so when it was available I bought some , enough to hold me 15-20 yr I'd guess .
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Remington Slide? a slide what?
    The 3 rem cases are .25 Rem., .30 Rem., and 32 Rem that all use the same head diameter.

The .38-55 case can be formed like a basic case to each of the 3 Rem cases above.
    I would not buy the .38-55 brass when the Grafs brass is available.
    If you have the knowledge and patience you can make all 3 cases from once fired 30-30 cases which are a much cheaper starting place.

I have no idea what you mean by "as I've only seen brass that needs the rim turned down with a lathe."
    The 38-55 brass also has a rim that has to be turned off.

It seems that some people come to this forum and they want brass they can buy cheap and brass that they do not have to do much if any work to to use.
    It does not work that way. Sometimes you spend a lot of time and money and effort just to get a mediocre case that will go bang.
    I should have been more specific. The thread is about a 32 Rem and that's what I was asking about. The comment I referred to by you seemed to suggest being able to form brass without a lathe which interested me as I don't have one. All of the research I've done indicated a lathe. As for forming it, I don't mind several steps as I do this already for others.
    No need to be snarky about it.

Boolit Master
    You might want to tell us how you might remove a rim witout a lathe.
    There is an expected minimum level of knowledge for people venturing into case forming. You seem to be the only person here that either does not know what a .38-55 case looks like. There is no magic to removing rims. If you don't have a lathe you are going to be handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I should have been more specific. The thread is about a 32 Rem and that's what I was asking about. The comment I referred to by you seemed to suggest being able to form brass without a lathe which interested me as I don't have one. All of the research I've done indicated a lathe. As for forming it, I don't mind several steps as I do this already for others.
    No need to be snarky about it.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to tell us how you might remove a rim witout a lathe.
    There is an expected minimum level of knowledge for people venturing into case forming. You seem to be the only person here that either does not know what a .38-55 case looks like. There is no magic to removing rims. If you don't have a lathe you are going to be handicapped.
    Pretty sure I know what a 38-55 case looks like as I shot my first whitetail with one.

I dont know what a 32 Rem looks like and read my post again. All I read said lathe was needed but the post sounded to me like one could be made without one so I asked.

I don't know why your so hostile. Just want to show everyone how smart you are? Grip yourself, this forum is for answering questions not insulting other members

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12