WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: .22 mould design conducive to paper patching?

Boolit Master

.22 mould design conducive to paper patching?

I bought a .225 Bator design mould and have a Rem 788 in .222 on the way so thought I'd ask before I go completely nuts from trying to manipulate the tiny boolits with my fat fingers... has anyone found a .224 mould design that works well for paper patching? The gas check shank is undersized for the Hornady gas checks so I'm dropping them in the sizing die with the cup up to allow the check to be seated but I'm wondering if a stick-on label might work with the right mould design. Might be an easier way to shoot the tiny projectiles!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    this sounds cool. sometimes we shouldn't ask but try ourselves and see what happens. i know nothing of PP so i can't say why it wouldn't work...

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I rolled a few for a 222 with the 1R FP Bator 55 gr. I don't remember what I used for paper but it was akin to a stiff dictionary page . I don't recall loads but I was surprised at how little it took to make it go really fast . I haven't had anything in that particular rifle that shot bad. I didn't have a .219 sizer for the core just a 226 for the finish "iron on".
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Several years ago, I had Tom Ballard make an adjustable cup based smooth sided .22 paper patch mould. Bullets are straight not tapered. Dia. is about .003 over bore (land-to land) dia. & I can size for various diameters.

Boolit Master
    I'll try to PP some of the Bators and try them in the .22-250; and then the .222 when it comes in. Seems to me a longer boolit would be easier to patch if the 14" twist will stabilize it. I'd thought about trying the N.O.E. 225407 as a P.P. candidate but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had had success with some other design.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Get some Teflon tape also known as pipe dope roll that on those boolits load them and shoot them. Work your loads up till you get bad signs on the targets. You may not need to size the taped boolits, but test first.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I'll try to PP some of the Bators and try them in the .22-250; and then the .222 when it comes in. Seems to me a longer boolit would be easier to patch if the 14" twist will stabilize it. I'd thought about trying the N.O.E. 225407 as a P.P. candidate but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had had success with some other design.
    I made set up to hold the boolit while patching. I forget how it worked or whether it was even worth it.

I've thought of a guide on the rolling pad that aligned the boolit base as it was rolled on the patch. I seemed to manage guiding them by hand but those were larger boolits. My patches have guide lines on them.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''