Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real deal 9x39

Boolit Master

Lyman Mould 358318 would be great sub-sonic in a 9mm (356 to 358) bore
    Mike

if you want a real thumper go with the 358009
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    The 9.3X62 Mauser cartridge uses heavy .366 diameter bullets. Bullet weights go from 231 gr to 293 gr.

You might find a 9.3 Mauser barrel blank or barrel that can be turned down to fit.

I'm fairly certain this bore size and range of bullet sizes has been used in Finland for wildcat cartridges based on the Soviet 7.62X54R case.

Boolit Master
    Looking a little further I found that Nosler makes .366 bullets in 250 gr , 286 gr, theres also the 286 gr Hornady and a 270 gr Speer.

CZ also makes rifles chambered for this round, which is popular in Canada and Australia.

Boolit Bub
    @kawasakifreak77, sorry for restarting old thread.
    But did you move any further on the project?
    Any interesting results?

Boolit Master

Stateside now

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/...round-box.html

20 rounds for $13.99
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    KAK has barrels, bullets, and dies for this round. https://www.kakindustry.com/catalogs...result/?q=9x39
    Starline makes "Grendel basic" brass that supposedly works for making this round https://www.starlinebrass.com/grendel-basic

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...s/barrels/9x39 Try calling these guys...nevernind someone beat me to it.
    I also think a cz527 would be the perfect rifle to fling these from, especially cast...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    Think the Russians did another cartridge conversion called the Medved.My details are hazy but think they used a semi auto design based on a kalashnikov design and based on the 7.62x54r case. Since you are using a bolt action chambered in the x39 cartridge why not use the Ruger All American compact rifle?. Would be way cheaper than the CZ and might help to offset costs. Looked up the link posted and a 278 grain bullet should be a real thumper. The twist on my old Husky bolt action in 9.3x57 is 1x14" and a standard load is with a 286 gr .366 bullet diameter. According to the serial number was made in 1928 on a pre WWII FN 98 mauser bolt action. Still have to glass bed the action as it still has the original stock. Frank

Boolit Master

Been kinda obsessed with the 9x39 lately that I wanna revive this thread with my experience with this round so far.
    I still built me an AR pistol with KAK barrel & parts I already have knowing that I have to be a little resourceful with reloading components & tools. Commercial ammo (steel/bimetal case) is still expensive for my taste.
    Got plenty of 7.62x39 brass (mostly PPUs & PMCs remnants from prior grendel conversion) so no added cost for me. Bought some 36cal moldsand a sacrificial but cheap 35rem die set from S&S .
    My first step was decap 7.62x39 brass then anneal case neck.
    While waiting for the dies, I opened up the case mouth/neck using 9mm Lyman M-die
    While waiting for the molds, I bought some Missouri 9.3mm 275g pp bullets for fireforming.
    Primed the brass with Wolf NCLR primers & charge with KAK's load of 11g of Lil'Gun.
    Seated them touching the lands then crimp using 7.62x39 LFCD, not ideal but it worked.
    Single loaded manually with mags on & fire-formed about 250 rounds nicely, though bolt would not cycle fully at times, it locked back each time. Will probably up the charge when I start loading fully sized brass.
    I've checked the gas line & there's no visible issues with commercial PC, I'll try my own PC boolits next.
    Ran out of MBC boolits so I Cast/PC'd some 366408 to continue loading 7.62 brass for fireforming.
    When I get enough brass & boolits, I'll be trying some loads that those AK guys (AKFiles forum) have had success.
    I love my "silent" rounds...277WLV, 300BLK, 458Socom & now 9.3x39, other than my .458 (which I'm waiting on a From 1) I use my Griffin 9 for suppressed shooting.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12