Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW holder takes on rifleman in Houston TX killing and is wounded

CCW holder takes on rifleman in Houston TX killing and is wounded

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/05...-media-silent/

Concealed Carrying Hero Battled Mass Shooter In Houston: Media Silent

Posted at 5:24 pm on May 31, 2016 by Bob Owens

Concealed carry permit holder Byron Wilson drew his handgun and engaged a mass shooter in Texas on Sunday, possibly saving lives at great risk to his own.

An Army veteran* of multiple tours in Afghanistan opened fire in Houston on Sunday, killing two people wounding and wounding six more before being killed by responding SWAT officers.

What many news outlets seem to be glossing over in their reporting of attack is that the veteran’s attack, carried out with an AR-15 variant, showed that the weapon was anything but “high-powered.” Six of the eight people shot with the most common rifle sold in the United States survived the attack.

One of those survivors, Byron Wilson, was a concealed carrier who drew his handgun and engaged the rifle armed shooter before being shot three times.

Pictures from the scene also show police patrol cars riddled with bullet holes.

He killed 56-year-old Eugene Linscomb and critically injured father Byron Wilson, who police say was trying to fight back and stop the deadly attack.

Authorities said Wilson had a concealed carry permit and fired at the suspect. He was shot three times in the process.

He is expected to survive.

Details are very sketchy about the exact role Mr. Wilson played in stopping the attack. We don’t know if Mr. Wilson hit the gunman, but we do know that he distracted him and shot at him.

We don’t know why Mr. Wilson, who is just one of 12+ million concealed carriers in the United States, chose to draw his weapon and wade into a fight against an attacker with a longer-ranged weapon and ostensibly more training.

But Mr. Wilson did make that choice, and I think, deep down, that all of us who carry firearms and give serious thought to their use and obtain training to more effectively use them know why Mr. Wilson felt compelled to act.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13
    Most people in this world hear cries of alarm and pain and violence and either freeze or run away.

There are some, however, who run towards danger, and they are the men and women who make a difference.

Thank you, Byron Wilson, for being one of those brave souls who runs towards the sound of gunfire to save your neighbors, and thank you Houston SWAT, for also answering the call and ending the threat.
    It's interesting to read the Lame Stream Media about the attack
    http://abc13.com/news/two-dead-6-wou...oting/1361533/

http://www.policemag.com/channel/swa...n-rampage.aspx
    Police say a second shooter was struck by gunfire and taken to the hospital. At this point, the role of that person isn't known. Police are interviewing him now.
    http://www.khou.com/news/crime/motiv...tery/222758873
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Police sources also say a second man identified as Byron WIlson is no longer a suspect and was in fact a Good Samaritan trying to help in Sunday’s deadly shooting in west Houston. (Photo: Custom)

The Good Samaritan was shot by the suspect as he tried to help and fight back. Wilson was critically injured, but he is expected to survive

If you wish to help the CCW with his medical bills there is a gofundme link
    https://www.gofundme.com/HelpByronRecover
    Last edited by Artful; 06-02-2016 at 03:23 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Nice post. I didn't know that until your post.

In Remembrance
    Also glad to see this post. There is just a slight difference between a second shooter, and someone legally fighting back and perhaps saving an untold amount of lives.

Boolit Grand Master

Hope this guy makes a full recovery and receives appropriate accolade while promoting legal concealed carry.

As an aside, had this guy been open carrying, perhaps he would have been one of the first victims.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you Artful ! Good story .

Interesting part about the shooter, from Ca, 22 yrs old, joined in 2010, was in Af. until Nov 2010, discharged in 2014. Came to Texas after on-line meeting some nut cases. Parents claim it's PTSD. Prayers for Mr. Wilson's complete recovery. As he was hit 3 times, assume CHL's are not used to getting shot at. Looking at the squad car, I assume the shooter wasn't either.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Hope this guy makes a full recovery and receives appropriate accolade while promoting legal concealed carry.

As an aside, had this guy been open carrying, perhaps he would have been one of the first victims.
    You could just as easily say perhaps the shooter would have just left for easier prey if he had seen someone wearing a sidearm.

Little off-subject question here, the least of Mr. Wilson's cares now. I saw mention in a different post that if a gun is used in a shooting of any kind, it would not be returned to the owner. Any state for Fed law covering that? Don't see anything like that in Texas Penal code.
    shooter would have just left for easier prey if he had seen someone wearing a sidearm.
    Hard to tell but IMHO, the shooter was out to do damage, turned defensive when threatened and just sprayed the neighborhood. Appears to be very common attitude in these kind of attacks so putting them down quickly is the only solution. Kid who's dad shot a LEO trial starts today, his only chance is if they find he threw the gun his dad gave him away and then hid.
    Last edited by popper; 06-03-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    Whatever!

Out of all these comments, this is what I walk away with..Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13

I think our Greatest Generation would have proudly gathered around him to welcome him home…had he not been successful.

True American…pray for his speedy recovery and that he be celebrated and held high as an example.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance
    Popper. I had a gun held in Texas years ago it was evidense, so they had to keep it till after the trial, then had to keep it till after all appeals were denied (over a year) then they I got all the evidence back except the gun, as they kept it because thye wanted too for another year. I finally got a court order to lock up the county sherrif to get it back, which took another year. I would imagine a lot of folks would have given up, but there were no longer any legal grounds to hold it.

I'm not a CCW permit holder, don't want to be on any lists out there or on more than I'm already on. But I never thought of this aspect…I know this much now…I sure as heck wouldn't carry one of my favorite pistols…looks like that old H&R .38 snubby I have just got re-evaluated.

In Remembrance
    From the article ... "What many news outlets seem to be glossing over in their reporting of attack is that the veteran’s attack, carried out with an AR-15 variant, showed that the weapon was anything but “high-powered.” Six of the eight people shot with the most common rifle sold in the United States survived the attack."

In addition to that information, Wilson, himself, was shot three times.

Would somebody care to speculate about the possibility that the perp was shooting M-855 green tip ammo?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Might reconsider to I carry a 45 but have a CZ52 that is quite effective at 100 yds, HUMM
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master

I will never understand this line of thinking. It comes up all the time when talking about open carry. There are lots of surveillance videos where robbers come into the store and stick up the clerk while there is an armed police officer in the store. They don't usually pay attention to their surroundings because they are only focused on one thing. And they are usually looking for an easy mark. Someone that is armed does not fit that description.

Fact of the matter is that we will never know in this particular case because he was not open carrying. There is just as much of a chance that the perp could have decided not to start his assault after seeing someone open carrying a gun. These shooters pick soft targets for a reason. They want maximum kills before the potential suicide by cop.

This type of incident makes me want to have an AR in the truck at all times. Your carry piece can potentially be used to fight your way to it. No matter what I never want to be in this type of situation.

Boolit Grand Master

Never heard about the CCW's role in this shooting, glad he was there. Hard to say for sure but suspect he saved lives or kept more folks from getting shot. Hope he recovers fully. As for a gun being held for evidence it would bother me but I won't let it influence what I carry. If it saves my butt or someone else's it's money well spent.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Little off-subject question here, the least of Mr. Wilson's cares now. I saw mention in a different post that if a gun is used in a shooting of any kind, it would not be returned to the owner. Any state for Fed law covering that? Don't see anything like that in Texas Penal code.
    For what it's worth, my last incident, I got my gun back the day the Grand Jury No Billed me. No hassle of any kind. I was told it helped that it was on video and was very obviously justified.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    ..... I was told it helped that it was on video and was very obviously justified.....
    Well that is certainly not the norm!

I am not sure which LEO force was involved but the Harris County Sheriff is very famous for not signing off on NFA items so he is no friend of armed citizens

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Thanks. Almost like there's a conspiracy in the media where the philosophies drive what they print isn't it? Almost?

Boolit Buddy

Good point about open carry. I would not carry at all before I'd go open unless I was out hunting with one of my handguns. Make's you such an obvious target! On the down side, I could envision the shooter's family suing the good guy for distracting their relative and causing him to be shot. It seem's in a number of places you can't fire on a shooter unless you or your family are endangered. That's sad! I think in a case like that, rule's should fly out the window into the favor of the good guy. Hope the guy is alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Well that is certainly not the norm!

I am not sure which LEO force was involved but the Harris County Sheriff is very famous for not signing off on NFA items so he is no friend of armed citizens
    I think the last 'good' sheriff you had there was, C.V. Buster Kerns…Dad worked for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast