RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Information for Allen inline action needed

Boolit Buddy

Information for Allen inline action needed

Hello all. I saw where a member here had a 32 caliber rifle built on one of the Allen inline actions from Pecatonica river. It sparked my interest. I was planning on building from scratch a caplock in 36 caliber but would like to give this inline a try but would like to have some information first.

I have looked and googled online for pics of these rifles but came up empty. I would really like to know if this action uses a breech plug of some sort. Also, the thread pitch on the front of it where the barrel screws on. I would really like to see a few pics of the action.

I was wondering if the nipple just screwed into the action with no breech plug, or if there was a removable breech plug that the nipple screwed into? If anyone has built one of these, I would really like to pick your brain on it.

I'm thinking of putting a tapered 7/8 barrel on it. Not sure of what length I should settle on. Anybody have any suggestions?

If anyone has any information on this action, I would sure appreciate your opinions, and suggestions.

Scott

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    that was me. And probably most of the info is trailed behind those builds. theres very little I could find on info about them. The breech plug is part of the action, and not removable. Here is a link to a build on one that shows a lot of photos and what not http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/fo...n+inline+build its a simple slam fire with about 2-3 parts. There was a bit of a learning curve in tuning the system. Feel free to PM me or ask what you want here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InlineActionw262.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	169416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00462.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	169417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00464.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	169418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00483.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	169422
    Last edited by Squeeze; 06-01-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Banned
    I would say do it, with a 7/8 action and barrel and tapered 7/8 barrel (leave ~3" flat, before the taper if you plan on using a scope) for a .32 cal, I definitely recommend the 1-30 twist of the TC and about a ~.005 depth rifling. Its easily fitted in most Knight plunger style stocks I like the Knight american, with the built in trigger guard. One of the issues was the recoil lug was very close to the front trigger guard, and unusually close to the trigger. Using this, its also easy to use bedding, or epoxy as filler I used 2-3 layers of tape on the barrel, and bedded the whole forearm, which after the tape removal, stayed nice and free floating. Then I used spray on bedliner (rustoleum had the least texture and worked well) so far its been good. I used it as a finish on one gun also. Its kind of a tester prototype. the second one was finished in black ice.

Perm-Banned
    follow up on this action. i have been teaching over the internet how to paperpatch a fast twist 50 cal who has that action with a 36 inch long 50 cal machine gun barrel on it. he loves the action and the gun is shooting a 724 grain pp bullet very well. it holds up well to his big gun, it will work well for you. very easy to put into a stock also.

Banned
    whats the twist on a machine gun barrel? 724 grain is huge. That one has to hurt on both ends.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Squeeze for your help and information. I'm sure you will be hearing from me again soon. Just about decided on what I'm going to build. Bout ready to order parts.

Perm-Banned
    its a 1/14 or 1/15 twist. with a 36 inch barrel the recoil isnt even something you think about. mild. he is in the early stages of working up a load. it is capable of accuracy at any range.