RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Solder

Solder

Picked up 2, 5lb. spools of solder today in a yard sale. 4 bucks.

Well done!!

Boolit Buddy
    Dang! That's a good deal. What tin %?

Some people are so lucky. I can never find such deals.

Ah, nice score but how many yard sales, how many hours expended to find that 10lb deal? I don't have that kind of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Ah, nice score but how many yard sales, how many hours expended to find that 10lb deal? I don't have that kind of time.

I was going anyway ! Picked up a pewter mug also. The solder is 60/40. It will be helpful. Found a welding shield . 2 bucks. The lens were dirty but cleaned up ok. Found a large convection oven last year. New in the box for 20 bucks. I can bake 200 - 300 boolits at a time in it. Yard sale work good sometimes.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I WILL do yard sales, and pawn shops and flea markets to get what I need or can find. Heck of a score for some solder!!!!! Just stumbling through the local resale store, found two commemorative plates for $6 , yeah I got to have these!! 96% SN stamped on the back. Almost 3 lbs!!! you get lucky sometimes I guess.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Are the commemorative plates marked SN or NS. There are two different things.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I gave up on yard sales around here over 15 years ago. Only thing there is baby furniture and baby clothes!!!!!! And stupid dishes. ( NOT antiques) Total BS! Too many young families around here.

Back in MI (30 years ago) I found tons of goodies! Tools, antiques, collectables, good stuff. Old people selling out to move to Fl.

Hope you find more. I do not have the time any more to go "garage sale-ing". The engineering company I own is doing too well! The stops at my local scrap yards (as I drive by them) yield more metals that I can possible ever handle.

banger

what does NS stand for?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

NS is from nickel-silver.

Garage sales have been mostly a bust for me, but I do make regular trips to assorted tire stores, scrap yards, and thrift stores. The area I am in is sort of rural so garage sales involve a lot of travel. The other places I mention are all stuff I can route or go to on way to somewhere else. I will say wife has never been amused to sit in the car waiting while I'm head down in the scrap lead bin... Try to make those stops on my own.

Ahh yes Nick never find those deals you say. Well you find what you look for (although some areas of the country yield different "game" to hunt) New England sees a lot more pewter than the Southern states from what I hear. We see more plain lead from pipe and construction of old buildings than they do out west, out west they have more high tech companies so scrap solder might be more plentiful.

Gotta hunt deer along the edge of the swamp, and bunnies in the fields. And hunt regular if you want success. On the other hand I once passed up around 10# of EPBM which stands for Electro Plated Britannia Metal, in short heavy tin plates and trays covered with thin layer of silver plate. Who knew? And bought a new propane fish fryer for smelting @ $40 a week before finding two at garage sales @ $10, one with a tank. Sigh. Guess that is why they call it hunting and not getting. Sometimes you fish and sometimes you catch.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

More pewter today. 2.3 lb. of bent up cups. 2 bucks

Boolit Master

Yup that there is a good deal. Good work!!!!

Boolit Man
    Don't overlook scrap yards. There's some serious booty to be had. They price high-tin stuff like babbitt and pewter at the same rate as lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Point???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Point???
    It doesn't work for him.

Yard sales have been very, very good to me. Just picked up 13# of lead shot 2 weeks ago, $1, a classic Coleman Lantern like new in box, $5, and so on.

Time commitment is just part of it. Some areas are just better then others. Gentrifying blue collar neighborhoods are best. Retired machinist goods for me, rich people furniture for the wife.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.