Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVA Hawkens Caplock Bolster Question

Boolit Master

CVA Hawkens Caplock Bolster Question

I just picked up a CVA .50 caliber Hawken caplock at a local show and have a question about the nipple bolster. When I got home and pulled the rifle apart I found that the bolster where the nipple screws in is loose. It can rotate from about 10 o'clock to about 2 o'clock. I didn't notice this when I bought the rifle at the show cause the lock plate was jambed hard against the bolster which prevented it from turning. There is no play in the bolster, it just rotates.
    CVA doesn't service their barrels anymore so I'm stuck with either getting it fixed or parting the rifle out. The rifle has never been fired and has pristine rifling. Any safe ideas on repairs?
    The only choices I can think of would be either hard silver solder or braze the bolster in place or do some serious machine work and make a replacement bolster that screws into the barrel. I don't have a lot of money in the rifle, just want to fix it right if possible. I would also be interested in a replacement barrel if anyone has a used one advailable which is the best option.
    Please no flaming, just an idea if repairing the bolster is possible and how to do it.
    Thanks
    Eddie

Perma-Banned
    it has most likely been removed at some point by someone unfamiliar with the fact you should never do that with a CVA. if everything looks to be okay other than the loose bolster, and if it lines up okay with the nipple, i would back it out a couple turns & then use either some two-part epoxy or the strongest version of lok-tite on the threads & screw it in to the proper position & allow to fully cure.

Boolit Master
    Well epoxy is a lot easier than what I thought my other options were. I wasn't sure how the bolster was mounted into the barrel and didn't know if it was even removable. The CVA website said removing the bolster voids the warrenty which is a mute point consitering how old the rifle appears to be and how loose the bolster is. I'll try backing the bolster out and epoxy it in. I'm only in the rifle for 75 bucks but want to fix it right for a shooter.
    Thanks

Eddie, I think I'd check with Deer Creek Products, Dixie Gun Works, and/or Track of the Wolf to see whether you can obtain a slightly larger or replacement drum. This will probably mean a bit of drilling and tapping, but it is safer than epoxying the poorly fitting original (?) in place. Btw, I "get" the epoxy thing, but drilling & tapping is the better way.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe make a steel shim to go between the drum and the barrel so it indexes correctly when you thread it in and tighten it down?

Boolit Grand Master

Once more CVA's have a drum that is screwed into the breech plug that is IN the barrel and THEN they are drilled for the powder chamber. It takes a real craftsman to refit a drum and get everything to line up, OR you need a special long drill to do the job right. Every once in a while I get one of these in boogered and have to re do the drum. I HAVE the right drill and I replace the drum with a blank and then drill the powder chamber and then drill and tap for the nipple with a special jig. NOT cheap, but I don't want glue holding my gun together when an overload or a rough bore drives up the pressure.

Do it right and you won't have to worry about sending a secondary projectile across the firing line. Seen it and don't like it!

Boolit Master
    The epoxy makes me nervous also, mainly because it can loose its strength with heat and time. I don't want to force the bolster out and make it worse by buggering up the threads or drum. Making a replacement drum, taping the barrel for it and indexing it for the nipple is something I think I can do in my shop (lots of work) but I'm leaning towards hard silver solder or brazing the drum in place. The rifle barrel is soft steel and won't loose any temper from the heat and little brazing will make it plenty strong enough if done right. All I'm trying to do is lock the threads to keep the bolster from moving and keep it as close to factory as possible.
    Any reason why a small braze repair won't work? It's the direction I'm thinking of heading at this moment.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 05-30-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Any reason why a small braze repair won't work? It's the direction I'm thinking of heading at this moment.
    A number of reasons, but brass is softer than steel, also more brittle so it will likely be, at best, a temporary repair anyway.

I'm pretty sure you could rig up an atomic bomb to be detonated by an alarm clock from the Dollar Store... but that doesn't mean you SHOULD.

KCSO referenced a secondary projectile. Now maybe you didn't understand that reference; the secondary projectile is the bolster with the nipple that flies out of the breech plug in the direction of the individual on the shooting line to your immediate right. If this projectile does not kill him, it may well make him very angry... and he might be holding a loaded rifle while you are holding a recently fired and inoperative rifle. Doesn't sound like a fun day at the range, does it?

I would suggest that you take that disaster waiting to happen to a competent 'smith and have it repaired properly. Considering how little you paid for it, even an expensive repair that gives you a functional rifle is money well spent. Though, if you want to cut your losses... you could just throw it into a lake.

Perma-Banned
    when i mentioned epoxy I more correctly meant J-B Weld. I sometimes use the terms interchangeably so maybe i gave the wrong idea but J-B is what i meant to say.

the only problem I've seen mentioned is the drum turns a bit past the point where the hammer & nipple line up. this can only be because a previous owner has unwittingly removed it for whatever reason. no other actual damage whatsoever is mentioned. that bein' the case, yer not gonna make it any worse by removin' the drum again to inspect it. so....

IF upon removal the drum is sound,
    IF the threads are good on the drum,
    IF the threads in the barrel are good &
    IF it can be lined up so that the hammer/nipple geometry is correct I see absolutely no problem in applyin' a dose of J-B to the threads & screwin' it in 'til things are in their proper perspective, let it cure a few days then never worry about it again. and as stated, if the drum is sound & the threads on it & the barrel are good you aren't gonna create a "secondary projectile" even if ya shot it as-is.

I would worry more about the amount of pressure you say the lock was puttin' on the drum that you couldn't move the bolster when the barrel was in the stock. if its that much the upward pressure on the drum combined with all the things that go on durin' recoil could cause it to shear off. then you'd have a "secondary projectile" for sure.

but, if yer that concerned with it, make a tomater stake out of the barrel & buy one off Deer Creek or flea-bay.

luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.
    Last edited by bubba.50; 05-31-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Bubba, thanks for the help, I use JB Weld all the time and have never had any problems with it. The bolster looks in good shape, not all chewed up from pliers or vice grips so I'm not planning in pulling it. Instead I'll make it permanent with a tack of braze on the underside of the bolster. I'm not planning on brazing the entire joint, just the area that's hidden by the stock so the repair isn't noticable. Done right it will be plenty strong. Been brazing and welding with torches for years and I'm comfortable with doing the job.
    From what I can tell about the rifle it was a kit and the builder assembled it but didn't check any clearences. The set trigger was jambed in the stock and didn't work and I'm betting the assembler tried to twist the bolster to line up with the hammer and loosened it up just enough so it wouldn't stay in one place. I've already taken care of the bolster getting pressed on by the lock plate, just a little file work made a big difference and removed a little wood under the triggers for clearence.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 05-31-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Here are a couple pictures of the rifle and the braze job. Took a little work with a file and some paper to clean up the excess braze. I think it will work just fine.Attachment 169339Attachment 169338
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 05-31-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Sharpsman
    Hang it on the mantel over their fireplace and chalk up as experience!!

Boolit Master
    Hang it on the mantel over their fireplace and chalk up as experience!!
    Why??
    Brazing bolsters in place has been done for years.
    Looks like the pictures didn't upload.
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 05-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2351.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	169352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2350.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	169353Take two for the pictures

Boolit Master
    I have used J B Weld and Brazed engine blocks on my 9N tractors and have never had a failure of any kind ,and would have NO PROBLEM shooting that repaired barrel . Seems some people comment without knowing

Boolit Bub
    I think there is only one correct answer for this rifle, get a new barrel. It's not worth your life for a quick fix.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Send it to KCSO for proper repair, or replace the barrel. Much better than having the drum leaving the gun and going through someone's head standing next to you.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...of-jukar/page3
    Hi Eddie,It may be that this link could help.It would involve some machining.Although for a Flintlock Breachplug a similar approach could be taken for a Percussion Rifle.Regards.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the advice, the bolster is brazed in place, the orignial threads going into the barrel are intact which is where the strength is and the braze is holding the bolster in posistion so it doesn't rotate, why would the bolster blow out, please explain your reasoning? It's being held in with the original machining that came from the factory. I'm ready to shoot it. This is not my first build or repair.
    Col4570, great link but way over anything I can do in my machine shop, kinda overkill for the problem I'm dealing with anyway.
    Thanks again all

Perma-Banned
    I'm no genius or an expert at anything but, i do try to learn & understand when i can. so, followin' the logic of some of the commentors here,

if ya screw part A(the drum) out of part B(the barrel) and usin' average intelligence & basic knowledge of how these things work,
    if ya determine part A is sound & the threads good and
    if ya determine part B is sound & the threads good, then
    if ya screw part A back into part B to the proper depth/position & use a bit of J-B weld or low-heat solder to hold the nipple/hammer geometry in the proper perspective, then if you take it to the range to shoot it yer gonna behead the shooter next to ya?

is that right? that seems to me to be the general opinion here.

well to me, usin' that logic, then every gun in rfd's gun rack is just waitin' for his next trip to the range to kill someone 'cause he removes part A(breechplug) from part B(barrel) on every one of his guns. haven't heard of him killin' anybody yet with what are obviously pipe-bombs just waitin' to blow at any time. maybe y'all should warn him before it's too late. boy, I'm sure glad he's in Jersey & I don't hafta wworry about bein' on the firin' line beside him.