• ?

4 7.69%
  • ?

12 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: which ar?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A couple of friends dropped by . This is the beginning of the basic problem of wanting an AR. These are just basic cosmetic variations. The damned things are worse than that Contender/Encore that you innocently checked out .

Attachment 169487

Now you have 6 bbls , 2 receivers ,stocks .
    The AR starts with 5 basic configurations then you have 10 basic butt stocks , dozens of fore ends , dozens of gas blocks from GI to 4 plex 1913 and just a collar. Gas ports come in carbine, mid and rifle length and pistol . Barrels run from 6-24", from .9 to the .825 gas port step to a GI with a M203 step, with and without threads for 50 or more flash hiders .
    Cartridges ! Good greif there are 4 or 5 bolt faces for basically every case head . If it has less than a 2.3 OAL and is of a caliber from 17-50 and rimless without a belt from the mundane 223 to a shortened 250 Savage that on paper looks like a 257 Roberts . There are straight blow back uppers available for 9,40 and 45.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

I still don't know what I want

I own four of them. The only thing the same between them is PSA parts kits, ALG ACT triggers and Magpul furniture. Have all gas length systems except pistol. Have a piston upper that I really enjoy. What I don't have is one that's lightweight. Selecting HBAR barrels probably wasn't the smartest move. Like I said, I still don't know what I want.

I should have bought a few DelTons because none of my builds were under $600. And that was w/ only buying when parts are on sale. The entry level rifles are a lot of gun for the money and more than adequate for most people. This is assuming you want to shoot and not participate in the fashion show that is ARs :beer:

Boolit Master

I've been running AR15/M16/M4s for over 3 decades around the globe, they do work. Been issued many Colts over the years for uncle but have always built my own since 87' (XM177E2 copy, 11.5" 1:12) I've got a 10.3 pistol (1:7), couple 14.5 carbines (pinned to 16", bayonet fits and 1:7), one 16" (1:9), couple Green Mtn SS 18" (1;14, 1:6, 1:5 twst) and 20" 1:7s. Those are all 5.56 or .223 Wylde and looking at a 6.8 SPC II for a deer rifle. Right now I keep Uncles guns running here in Iraq (mainly 10.3 shorties for SOF) As a starter gun you can not go wrong with one of the entry guns. Use that later as a base if you decide what you want. Remember to vote this November or you may never have the oppurtionity again if Hillary wins.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Colt. Military contract specs, an actual 5.56 chamber (as oppose to kinda-sorta), military contract assembly checklist procedures, 50 years of practice at it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Went to Bud's gun shop and got my hands on a few. If I get one I believe it will be the S&W. Thanks for your input.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of good rifles. Gonna build or buy?? Check out http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I've used Radical Firearms uppers for my 458 Socom and 300 BO
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Do some research on the AR websites. Many people in the "know" prefer Colt and BCM (there are some others). It's a buyers market for now anyway.

S&W. Put a Rock River Varmit trigger in it. Buy a ten rd mag for bench shooting. Around $600 so far and will teach you all you need to know about AR. I started with an $1100 FN A2 20" but have since built my own. Anderson and Palmetto offer great parts. AR snobbery is rampant- folks will tell you you MUST spend a grand at least to start. Horse puckey. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Preacher,
    A long barrel does not help accuracy. It will give higher velocity.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    [QUOTE]A real rifle is of a caliber which starts with a "3" and contains no plastic parts!/QUOTE]

My thoughts exacty. Marlin 336!!

For those who disagree I would go with Anderson or Double Star, made right here in the Bluegrass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree, it always worked and was extremely accurate plus it shot a round that wasn't good for sage rats and not much else.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here it is:

Attachment 171167
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You cannot go wrong with a Colt 6920/as a couple on here posted. It is a terrific platform as it stands and can be modified with a nice trigger group if you decide you want a 600 yard clay pigeon slayer.

I also have to agree with Outpost 75. The Garand is about as much fun a guy can have with his pants on!

Funny thing how some folks answered the OP's question and some just-didn't. Question: what's the most accurate and longest serving military rifle? That would be the AR/M16. And while we're at it anyone who can't kill a deer/pig or bad guy with one shot with a 5.56 has no buisness shooting. Rant over! Best, Thomas.

I prefer Colt
    Semper Fi

Boolit Grand Master

which ar?

Any manufacturer except Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Any manufacturer except Colt.
    +1. Any manufacturer that intentionally changes their design (pin sizes and the assorted parts that said pins hold) to make it harder for you and me to fix it, can keep their product.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Are you referring to the sp1? If not, the 6920 is about as milspec and standard as it gets. The sp1 has different pin sizes between upper and lower, and the fcg group pin is different, but Colt standardized the AR15.

Long live Colt!

Boolit Master
    I have the LE6920 and a Del-ton...I purchased a giselle expensive trigger kit to upgrade either, didn't fit either of them. Tried to send it back to midway and they tell me I shipped them back the wrong parts (I tagged them with electrical tape as I removed parts to keep them separate).....I gave up and they are sitting back in the safe set back to stock configuration. The colt does shoot nice, but I kinda figured all AR parts were interchangeable as long as you matched the same size pins etc.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast