Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: which ar?

Boolit Master

which ar?

Bushmaster
    Dpms

Or what?
    I never had one, and read that they are basically all alike.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 05-29-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Dmps ??
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    I've got a delton and a colt, I'd recommend colt or DIY this time. Biggest question for me was 5.56 vs .223 and twist rates on the barrel. You can find all the options from every brand these days.

Build your own, it's a great learning experience.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A real rifle is of a caliber which starts with a "3" and contains no plastic parts!

My rifle in boot camp was serial no. 4208350. Guess what it was?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

It really doesn't matter, as the same people, make most of the parts marketed under various brand names.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A real rifle is of a caliber which starts with a "3" and contains no plastic parts!

Outdated?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

Like 300 Blackout? Hmmm looking over at my two leaning in the rack only one has 1 plastic part.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    As I said, I never had one. I've been looking at Bud's gun shop for an entry-level rifle, and there is a Bushmaster for right at $600. I dunno if I'd need a chrome lined barrel or not. Probably not,as I probably won't shoot it too much. It's a wanna, not a need. Something else to shoot targets and plink with.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I would just go with the base model and go from there. If you wanted to go up to a chrome barrel then you will probably know more about them at that point to decide better. For range food/plinking I stuck a cheap primary arms red dot on mine and blast away. Not like you won't be able to sell it for twice its value in a few months .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Build your own, it's a great learning experience.
    +1. Check out Palmetto State Armory for one stop shopping.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I have to agree with outpost a bit.

The only guy I have ever seen hit anything over 25 yards with an AR with anything approaching what I would call accuracy looked military, had what appeared to be a tricked out AR-10 shooting .308 and was shooting at the 200 yard berm not the 25 or 50. Being as I could not see his targets that far out I could not say if he missed any.

But the ones on paper were all in one nice group, maybe 1.5 inches with a single wind flyer out at 3.

I was never in the Military, I am sure that that they have a place, and they are good at something other than going through ammunition in a hurry and selling parts. I just don't care enough at this point to give a hoot.

Outpost, my favorite is a .357 mag in a Handi rifle, single shot. If I do my part it will cloverleaf at 100 or more. That part is however getting harder as I age. I also have a .444 marlin that pushes the .357 mag hard on the accuracy side. IMO both qualify.

Put me in the "1 shot where it needs to be, with enough snort to do the job the first time" column.
    I will let others clog up the "30 rounds minute of 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards" column.

Does not matter how much ammo you can carry if you can not keep that other guy on the other side from doing to you before you can do it to him. First one better count.

Banned

the 50 or so rock chucks I have shot from 50 to nearly 300 yds this year would disagree with the assessment that the 223 is worthless/inaccurate/cheap.
    I won't buy an AR that costs less than a grand and the one I mainly use [STAG 6-H] for varmint hunting weighs about 8 pounds.
    but it will shoot 1/2" 100 yd groups with the bullets I make for it.

the Armalite NM-15 I shoot at 300+ yds is accurate enough to ring the 6" gongs with boring regularity.
    it would be better with a scope.
    there are other very good ones out there too, Daniel Defense and Wylde both come to mind.

all of the good ones are solid and accurate much better than the Colt Sp-101 I had back in the day.
    and for sure more accurate and better fit than anything Uncle Sam gave me.

With everything that is "alike", there are different levels of quality. Personally I wouldn't buy a bushmaster or Dpms or Delton, no need to detail, they are the lower tier. Same goes with PSA's cheaper lines(freedom, Ptac). PSA premium line with CHF FN made barrels are great. If I was gonna buy a non-Colt basic rifle, I'd get the Aero Precision rifle linked below.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aero-ac-...ete-rifle.html

Boolit Master
    I have a Bushmaster that does 1.5"@100 yds with the standard A2 sights, and has never failed me. I also have a few builds, and would recommend that route unless what you see on the shelf has everything you want. Honestly, before you either buy or build, I would figure out what you want to do with this rifle, and then get whatever will make you happy.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banned
    You can pay for a name or you can have two of them for the same price. Stay clear of the poly/plastic lowers and you will be fine. I'm partial to the Anderson lowers because they can be bought cost effectively and the money you save can be put toward a good trigger setup.

Boolit Master
    I'm very partial to my Rock River LAR-15. Great starter setup (wife and I each have one, and it will easily outperform what I am capable of. Had it at the 200yrd range busting clays (set them up as targets). Their base trigger isn't bad either till you have the money to drop in better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

+ 1 you cant go wrong with RRA they make good stuff
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Build your own. Buy the best barrel to fit your desired shooting distance. Select a twist for the type and weight bullets you think you will be shooting. If you want match accuracy get a 24 inch match barrel with bolt headspace to barrel. 1/2 moa, is possible better if you are a careful loader. Junk shoots poorly. You plan and build it will shoot.

Banned

Colt.