Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many go to church? A few pointed questions for you.

Perm-Banned
    its funny that many here let people seperate them selves and its really God and his son we worship, not the people around us. may be if your the one who sets an example in the church you could affect one of the believers to do better. i had to change churches once as it got so out of hand with the pastor and a girlfriend on the side that i had to go somewheres else. that stuff happens, leave. also i agree, if the methodist church allows gays we will split away, no choise. my pastor will split also. can allow that in a church. Go to a church of your choise and worship with the Joy that as a christian we are given. to have ones name wrote in the lambs book of life is a awesome thing and worth being happy about.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Wife goes to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.

Didn't post it as such as I was in a hurry and did not have time to look up the spelling of Evangelical.

And yes they accept both.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

the post above asked the question and provided a good answer: Is church necessary? Absolutely, it brings people of faith, it is good to pray alone and even worship alone, it is also good to share your faith and worship with with others in church. How else would you accept the body & blood of Christ!

Scripture always provides the best answers to our questions and in this case it is very clear on the role the Church (notice it is the big "C" here and not a particular sect) is to have in this world. But to start off before I highlight scriptures to us I must start off and say that attending a church will not make a person a christian any more than standing in a garage will make you a car. However I believe that a christian will WANT to assemble with other believers and I believe that scripture supports this belief. A check of Hebrews 10:25 will reveal that we are extorted..."to assemble together and so much more as you see the Day approaching". Evidently some early Christians had stopped attending or had become lax in attending their local church for what ever reason. The assembly here is the Greek word for synagogue which specifically means the local, physical gathering of believers not the church which would be the spiritual, invisible body of believers. This local assembly is where the gospel message is preached, and also where the Word of God is applied to the circumstances of our lives. The Day approaching simply refers to the fact that Christ's return is imminent and we are to encourage each other even more to remain faithful to Him.
    Volumes have been written about the body of Christ and the fact that every one is needed to be a part of the local, physical, body of believers in order to provide the help, comfort, and support that all warriors need in the day of battle. I encourage each one to do their own study to see where they fit into the body of Christ. The idea that a person can make it through to victory without the help of the local assembly of believers makes me want to ask why would you want to? When it is all said and done this is not about me or you. It is about being a follower of Christ and being His witnesses and making disciples everywhere.
    I should say that normally I would be worshiping in my local assembly at this time but I am home today recovering from prostate surgery last Wednesday. I received a good report by the way in that the cancer was contained within the prostate and had not gotten to the nearby lymph nodes or surrounding tissue. Praise God for his healing hand.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I try to be the best person I can be. I sometimes fall short. I try to attend church every time I physically can. I miss 4 or 5 services every year because my ailments have me "tied" to the bed. To be a Christian, I don't think requires you to be in church every service. But I think we are judged by other people "how we live". I can't very well spend every Saturday night getting drunk in a bar and chasing strange women, and get up and go sing in the choir on Sunday morning. Then go do the same thing next Saturday. If everyone sees me getting drunk and chasing women knowing my wife is at home waiting on me to come home... What kind of hypocrite does that make me? No... I don't do that. But yes , I have short comings every day. That's why I do my best to go to church service 2 times on Sunday and also on Wednesday evening. I don't go to show off new shoes or new suit to other members. I sometimes wear clothes that aren't exactly up to date fashion wise. But they are as clean as the washer or the dry cleaners can get them. And I am physically clean as possible as Dial soap and Lava hand cleaner will get my skin.

I go to church every time I can to scrub my soul and to rid myself of the nasty feeling that sin leaves. I don't go for you. I don't go for my Dad that has been gone several decades. Or for my Mom that's been gone 5 years. I don't go for my children, grand children or my great grand children. I pray for them every time I'm there. For God to protect and watch over them. But I go for me... ME alone. I don't go to brag or show off. I go to pray for an old sinner that has been saved. ME.

I did not specify that I go to a Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran or Catholic Church. I go to a church where the preacher preaches and teaches from the black book he holds in his hands, The Holy Bible.

God bless you.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Neither do I go to Church to show off what I'm wearing, but being as I believe I am in God's presence when in the Sanctuary I usually dress in my best, or close to it.

Just as I would not go for a job interview wearing cut off jeans and flip flops and a tee shirt.

Saw a young "lady?" today wearing short shorts that were see thru lace?????????????????????

Highly out of place IMO!

YMMV regarding this, just MO.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Just wondering how many of you go to church. How many actually practice what you profess to believe in? How many are hypocrites? How many keep the commandments everyday? Is church actually necessary? Be careful here....

I faithfully attend Sunday's Wednesday and our monthly bunch meetings
    but I'm sorely lacking at attending the many other functions our church has

i practice what I preach
    I'm not very good at it but I do try

I'm am not a hypocrite.
    hypocrite in the Greek means actor my faith is not a act

I sin everyday almost every hour

Is church necessary? No, not too our salvation

Is church necessary? Yes its where we learn. How can we speak boldly about Christ if we don't know about him? Yes we can read and we should,but we also need guidance from a man chosen by God to lead us .

we also need to remember he is a man same as us. He falls short often,and is clouded by the ways of the world same as us. That's why we need to read and fellowship with others
    Last edited by rl69; 05-29-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    its funny that many here let people seperate them selves and its really God and his son we worship, not the people around us. may be if your the one who sets an example in the church you could affect one of the believers to do better. i had to change churches once as it got so out of hand with the pastor and a girlfriend on the side that i had to go somewheres else. that stuff happens, leave. also i agree, if the methodist church allows gays we will split away, no choise. my pastor will split also. can allow that in a church. Go to a church of your choise and worship with the Joy that as a christian we are given. to have ones name wrote in the lambs book of life is a awesome thing and worth being happy about.
    i have nothing too add just thought it should be posted again
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Moderator Emeritus

6bg6ga: Just wondering how many of you go to church.

BW: I can't go much any more, but make it when I can. Physical problems.

6bg: How many actually practice what you profess to believe in?

BW: HAR! NOBODY is without sin and some element of hypocrisy! No, not ONE! But most of us are chastened by our Lord, and we keep coming back and trying to do better. Only ONE has walked this earth and been perfect. That's no excuse for what we do, of course, when we falter and fail, but it's still the simple truth of it. We do what we do, and learn from it as we go. Hopefully, we learn easily and well, and redirect ourselves daily or multiple times each day. Resisting temptations is always going to be an on-again, off-again situation with us all, I think. That's what we've been told, too, so it's what I believe. We pay for our sins one way or another at some time or another, that's for sure. Perfection just isn't ever going to be a part of our repertoire. If St. Peter said he was "chief among sinners," I don't even want to think about where that puts ME!

6bg: How many are hypocrites?

BW: Truthfully? All of us, at one time or another. I absolutely HATE hypocrites, and yet, I've done just that at times! I think it was Peter who said he couldn't stop himself from doing what he didn't WANT to do, and couldn't seem to make himself do what he DID want to do. If that was so with him, who among us here could claim better? I think these questions are the ones that are given us to keep us humble and honest. No matter how hard we try, not one among us achieves what we truly WANT to. But maybe that's the "secret?" That we're supposed to stay humble and keep trying .... and trying and trying and trying?

6bg: How many keep the commandments 6?

BW: I doubt any of us have never broken all 10 of them in the Old Testament. Multiple times, probably? Once again, we just have to keep trying and trying and trying, but it's got to be increasingly serious or it's all show and no go. Satan has learned through the millenea, just how to reach us at our weakest points. Sometimes we withstand his best efforts, and sometimes we yield to varying degrees. So much is said about our faith these days, but so little of it is truly helpful to us. Most of it is just repeating the same things over and over and over again. Good theology is hard to find, but it IS out there. And the good stuff truly edifies us, and helps us focus and understand the meanings behind the words of the Bible, and how it all links together into a unified whole. But most are "too busy" to really search that stuff out, and often try to excuse themselves by saying they're "too busy." Whatever degree of truth there may be in that, if we don't have ANY time for our Lord, would it not be expected that He may not have much time for us in return? That helps many keep straight. And progressing. Christianity is a challenge and a search, not a destination. That's my belief, anyway.

6bg: Is church actually necessary? Be careful here....

BW: Excellent question! According to the Bible, one CAN, as the good thief at the crucifixion, get to Heaven without having ever set foot inside a church door. Christ himself declared it so. So I'll have to go along with Christ, and say "No, it's not really necessary. But without it, we truly have a very strong tendency to regress, so it's surely advisable! BIG TIME! That's my 2 cents' worth, anyway. I have no corner on the market, but that's what I've brought to the table. Sure wish my harvest had been richer!

Banned
    Blackwater, thank you for your comments. NOBODY is without sin and some element of hypocrisy! Finally someone sees it. None are perfect and we aren't exected to be. We fall and we get back up some on their own and some with help. I'm one needing help and the first to admit it. I believe humility should play a part too. Another little story coming.... I remember a vist to a luthern church with a woman paster one time that also had a woman co paster or paster in training so to speak. Anyway the paster made a comment to me about the co paster telling me she was divorced and looking her nose down at her. I had the chance to have a conversation with the co paster and found out she had been abused/beat by her former husband. Now, I don't know the luthern teaching but I would assume that a divorce under these circumstances would be ok. The seem to welcome the gays and such so why not a divorced person?

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I pray most Churches would welcome SINNERS in there Church, the divorced, gays, fornicators,drunkards,thieves and such
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

"Jesus Christ came into this world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." I Timothy 1: 5

I go to a Baptist church with about 40 members. I am a sinner saved by faith in the Jesus Christ. I wont be perfect until the Lord regenerates my earthly body and gives me a perfect holy body like unto His.

Until such time, I press on, looking forward to that day. No person ever could or ever will live perfect according to the law. Only Jesus Christ, who fulfilled the law, the one and only perfect one in the flesh to do so. Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. The perfect, sinless blood of my Redeemer Jesus, now covers me.

There are no perfect church gatherings, because there are no perfect believers. Peter, Paul, Barnabas, Silas, all had their faults, quarrels and differences, but they spread the Gospel, started new churches, and led many to salvation through the preaching of Jesus Christ.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    "Jesus Christ came into this world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." I Timothy 1: 5

I go to a Baptist church with about 40 members. I am a sinner saved by faith in the Jesus Christ. I wont be perfect until the Lord regenerates my earthly body and gives me a perfect holy body like unto His.

Until such time, I press on, looking forward to that day. No person ever could or ever will live perfect according to the law. Only Jesus Christ, who fulfilled the law, the one and only perfect one in the flesh to do so. Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. The perfect, sinless blood of my Redeemer Jesus, now covers me.

There are no perfect church gatherings, because there are no perfect believers. Peter, Paul, Barnabas, Silas, all had their faults, quarrels and differences, but they spread the Gospel, started new churches, and led many to salvation through the preaching of Jesus Christ.
    Good post , thank you .

Moderator Emeritus

I have heard a preacher say that churches are full of parishioners that are going to hell because they are worshiping the church and not JESUS. I was raised Catholic and became a Methodist about 40 years ago...I am considering a move due to political position that the Methodist Church is taking...that is cutting the State of Israel loose.

Church should be about focusing on God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit to make us more obedient to God and to help others come to the Holy Trinity.....when it drifts away then it is time to drift away from it......and find a church that the minister actually does his job.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

There are two kinds of people in the world, Saved sinners and sinners still lost in their sins. The Church has always been filled with both kinds and yes there are plenty of those who you would consider hypocrites. As has been said before there are plenty who attend services just to have a good name in the community or just to assemble and take part in the activities. The Ten Commandments are perfect and are there to point us to Christ who perfectly kept them for me, There is no way I can abide by the Ten Commandments in this sinful fleshly body but in Christ I am perfect, Holy, Righteous, Justified, And Sanctified. There are no Methodist, Baptist and so on in the body of Christ, That's just the way "We" separate ourselves. We are either saved or not point blank, It's not I know Christ but rather as John 10 : 14 says " I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am know of mine". In the body there are no denominations but we have separations among men. I have services here at my house and there are 16 members who attend, This is the place GOD has provided for us to meet and I am thankful for it. GOD lives within His people not in a building so when the children of GOD arrive in the building the church has arrived, God's Spirit does not dwell among wood and brick but within His people who are described as lively stones. To practice what we preach is to practice what Christ told us, Christ is the example for us to preach and to conform our walk to. I am the first to confess of my short comings and downfalls but I am always aware of my calling and that I am to have a good report within and without the church. Practicing what we preach is and always will be a battle. Ephesians 6:12 We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Practicing our faith is a hard fought battle and just because a brother or sister falters in some area does not strike them as a hypocrite. Satan is always attacking the church and always will until Christ returns. 1 Peter 2:8 Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking who he may devour. So we should always be building each other up, We are to watch as satan attacks as he is like the lion who is after a herd of animals, he will attack the weakest members. So our walk is one of being on guard for satan who is there to attack and present things before us to destroy our witness before the world. Though we may falter we are more than over comers in Christ!
    Last edited by USMC87; 05-30-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Boolit Master

My family rarely misses Church. I try my best to follow what the Lord would want. We are not Jesus Christ, that is why he came and shed his blood to cover our short comings. The Holy Spirit convicts me when I do wrong but, like anyone with flesh, I sin.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy

Hickok said what was on my mind also-- " "Jesus Christ came into this world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." I Timothy 1: 5 ". Let me ask you a simple question -- what happens to hot coals when you separate them? They go out don't they? To burn brightly as a Christian we need the mutual encouragement of other like minded. That is in a sense why there are several different denominations, however the Church is comprised of all those who have trusted Jesus as their Savior. We are saved by God's grace, not by anything we have done. We (I) still fail daily! We strive to practice what we believe, however we will not be perfect while on this earth.

Boolit Master

Some people believe you must be a good person to go to church. Jesus didn't only associate with good people, he went to where he was needed. This is what our church does, we share His word with homeless, poor, drug addicts and prostitutes. We have a building we use in the "bad" area of town that we hold church services at on Tuesday an Saturday night. We don't care how people come, we just love the ones that do. We provide nourishment for their bodies and their souls with no judgement, as Christ did.

To be a Christian means to be Christ-like and do as he did. Too many churches don't get that, they would rather minister to themselves rather than those in true need.

Perm-Banned
    just to clarify what every one is talking about, it can bring more peace to ones self. when you become saved and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior that is when you become righteous and then you are righteous. you never ever need to become righteous again because that is sealed and your name is wrote in the Lambs book of life. some people say after that im working on my righteousness but what they really mean is they are working on their Holyness. righteousness really means this, your right with God. once your right with God then you work on your Holyness. your sin doent count against you anymore as the past present and future sin is washed away and you are right with God. Holyness is now the thing we should have on our mind and work towards. this is a simple explaination of words christians get mixed up. in their mind they know what they are talking about but their is a difference between righteousness and holyness. God bless all

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    What I believe, when I believe, when/how I pray, when I attend services - is between my God and me and certainly not any business of anyone else, especially those on a casting forum for ammo.

banger

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Blackwater, thank you for your comments. NOBODY is without sin and some element of hypocrisy! Finally someone sees it. None are perfect and we aren't exected to be. We fall and we get back up some on their own and some with help. I'm one needing help and the first to admit it. I believe humility should play a part too. Another little story coming.... I remember a vist to a luthern church with a woman paster one time that also had a woman co paster or paster in training so to speak. Anyway the paster made a comment to me about the co paster telling me she was divorced and looking her nose down at her. I had the chance to have a conversation with the co paster and found out she had been abused/beat by her former husband. Now, I don't know the luthern teaching but I would assume that a divorce under these circumstances would be ok. The seem to welcome the gays and such so why not a divorced person?
    You know, 6bg, you point out an excellent example of how faulty we all are, even our leaders, often (if not usually?). And the deniers and doubters all just LOVE to try to use that against us in their arguments and rationalizations for their non-belief. But it's their load to carry, and rationalizing never changed a thing.

Your post reminds me why I've long now come to believe that the greatest hallmark of a good Christian is their humility, but it's a humility without being "mousey" or recessive. It's just a calm, thoughtful resolve to do what we can and let Christ make up the difference if He wills to, and the serenity to accept whatever comes to us. I don't have it all figured out by any means, but this much has proven consistent and observable, repeatable and predictable enough that I recently told a precious 80+ yr. old friend that I knew she was a true Christian the first time I laid eyes on her. She was a bit shocked and asked how I could possibly know that just from looking at her. I told her it was the way she carried herself, obviously involved in thought, neither afraid nor overly optimistic, how she walked with assurance, and yet was obviously very humble and accepting of whatever she seemed to meet. It satisfied her, but being one who emphasizes works and words, she mostly just shrugged it off.

Anyway, if you get it all figured out, please clue me in. We all see through the glass darkly, and vary in what we've been able to discern for ourselves in our time, and that's the reason studying and talking among ourselves is so beneficial and fruitful, if we'll but give each other a little room now and then. I've learned things from my little Down's syndrome cousin that I'd likely never have learned anywhere elese. She's an amazing young lady, and I believe she walks with the Lord more closely and consistently than all of us "smarter" folks. There's a lesson in that if we'd just learn it.

It's really good to be retired now, and have the TIME to think more and more deeply about the things that really matter. The only hard part is realizing all the lost opportunities we had along the way, but those are the things that we learned from. It's the imperfections in our world that we learn best from. Is that a paradox or what?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast