Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a good pheasant 12 ga load recipe

Well, there another angle why the birds went on the great downfall. Different circles bring different very possible criteria to the table. I remember if there were weeds in the corn field the birds had a possibility of flushing for the drivers instead of the standers at the end of the field. Weed free corn fields the birds were runners. I have been to the Williams Gunsight shop a few times. Back in the '70s my first job out of HS was at a broach shop that broached some of the parts for Williams sights. So, if any of you have Winchesters, maybe Marlins or Glenfields from the late '70s to the '80s I may have may have set up and did QC on some of your sights. I guess that would account for if your gun shoots good or doesn't. If the sights were crooked it must of been 2nd shift. lol
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    When I was young our farms were over run with pheasants, and many times I shot the limit of 3 standing in one spot without taking a step. I used 1-1/4 OZ of hard chilled #5 over AL5 in paper hulls for a 3-3/4 dram eqivalant . No plastic wads or shot wrapper as they weren't on the market at that time. I used a Mod 97 with 32" barrel full choke, dad used his mod 12 30" full choke. The Winchesters were killers for sure. I remember the last one I shot very well, it was with my Mod 42 out with my sons. The boys are Rem 1100 shooters. I'll never shoot another one and the Winchesters are all in the back row of the safe. I watched the changes that made them disappear at our farms and the area, we'll never see them in this state like the 50s & 60s. Oh, and if I do dig out one of the Winchesters including the Mod 42 they will have hand loads in them.

Boolit Master
    12 ga. Charge 1 1/2 oz. hulls SP , RXP, Win AA all using WAA12R wads, shot size up to you. Choke I used was Imp Cylinder and 7 1/2 , takes out the head and wings best at 20 to 30 yds. Powder was Blue Dot, and 209 primers (SP needed the 157, or 97 primers) . Loads from Lyman Shotshell Manuel II . 7 1/2 I would follow with 5's and 4's , mostly 7.5,7.5 and last shot 5.

Last year used 12 ga. 6 in 1 1/4 load factory did a nice job killing but fair amount of shot in the meat of birds. Still say 7.5 are a better meat load. I use the rest of the bird not just the breast. Okay year at 6 shot at only one miss. So 6 shots and five birds, one at 45 yds. Now if I get that good on darn ducks and crows, LOL .
    Last edited by Teddy (punchie); 06-13-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Boolit Master

BT, sent you a pm...
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    BT, sent you a pm...
    Replied

Worked up a pheasant load for this fall. 12 ga Remington green STS load, 23.5 grs of Longshot, WAA12R wad with 1.5 ozs of #6. Should lay the smackdown. Gonna to go pattern them this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey BT, why don't you pattern a couple of those at lets say 15 to 20 yards. Depending on your choke & barrel make up that "smackdown" might be a bit more than what you desire for the first shot. You may spend more time using a flattened nail getting the shot out of the breast than you do skinning or plucking the bird. You might want to load up a high vel 1 oz load as well for particular field situations. Have you ever tried pheasant in an oven bag and a can of cream of mushroom soup with a few of your favorite spices? Ya, I know it is not under glass. ya awl
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master

Now u talking BT! Mod choke and no law says u can't let close bird get a little further away but sure nice to land 40 yd birds on their back.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I'm making up a few different loads. I'm seeing a lot of 1.5, 1 3/8, and 1 5/8 pheasant loads on the market. I'll think I'll load a few 1 1/8 oz in a Waa12 wad.

Last year, I would let the birds get out there a ways, say 40 yards or so, after deplucking a few in mid air while earning the name, "Quickdraw"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting fact,in the late 50s my dad raised ringneck pheasents.one evening weesels tried to get into the fencing.the birds freaked out and got tangled in the fencing.over 30 birds died or had to to be killed.i remember mom grabbed her 4-10 and ran down near the pens ready to shoot weesel,she loved that gun only one weesle was killed, but dads pheasent raising days were done.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12