Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And one to chuckle about

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    And the ultimate accessory of a fur-covered case too! One wouldn't want one's Ballard to get cold. . .
    I like that! Pretty clever. A friend referred to it as the "Hereford Gun", and it seems to have stuck. At least that's what I call it now.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That old cow hide case would actually bring a good premium. Hang on to it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Yes, I sure wont dispose of the fitted case! I do plan to do a little work on the case to eliminate some of the longest hair that sticks out on the corners. The buffalo or cow hide covered old cases I've seen in years past were trimmed up pretty short. I think this one would be more presentable without it's winter coat!

A great find…lucky outcome too. I really like that old looking case…all it needs is an old ranch brand on the hide.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

all I can say is "Wow!"

way to go
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    A great find…lucky outcome too. I really like that old looking case…all it needs is an old ranch brand on the hide.
    Never thought about the brand, but that would have been even neater!

Starting a metal restoration on the Schoyen Ballard today. Filling the extra scope threaded holes, and the one extra dovetail. After they are filled and peened, I'll polish the barrel and action out. Rust blue the barrel, and send the action, lever, and breech blocks out for case coloring. Stocks don't need any work, so they'll be left alone.

Extra holes and dovetails filled! Roughed in, and ready for draw filing, and polishing.

Polished out receiver, lever, barrel, and breechblock halves. Getting the damaged/missing "G" in the GEO C SCHOYEN rollstamp replaced next. Then off for color case and rust bluing!

Boolit Master

. . .and the 2016 Best Actor award in the Not Screwin' Around category goes to. . .

MARLINMAN93!!!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

. . .and the 2016 Best Actor award in the Not Screwin' Around category goes to. . .

MARLINMAN93!!!
    Thanks BS! I usually take time to warm up to a gun, and get to know it. But this Schoyen is just too neat a gun to leave in it's abused state. It deserves to be brought back to it's original state, where it was a gun a shooter could be very proud of. Considering it's inexpensive purchase price, and it's value once restored; it was kind of a no brainer.

Boolit Master

Yeah. . .cuz it was absolutely HIDEOUS when you brought it home. . .

Glad you're going back to OEM with it. We need to preserve and present more stuff that makes the current industry hang their heads in shame.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Yeah. . .cuz it was absolutely HIDEOUS when you brought it home. . .

Glad you're going back to OEM with it. We need to preserve and present more stuff that makes the current industry hang their heads in shame.
    Well not really hideous, and I could have shot and enjoyed it as is. But I'll be much happier shooting a good looking gun, with proper finish, and not having to make excuses to myself why I didn't fix it up.

Just got back from a trip south to visit our daughter, and got back on the Schoyen to finish polishing. I found two places on the lever that appeared to have been welded up holes? After a little pondering, while polishing, I wondered if the lever had once had a grip adapter attached to it, similar to the one that HM Pope sold? I had purchased a Track of the Wolf schuetzen triggerguard long ago, with plans to use it on a project that never happened. I overlaid it on the Pacific style lever, and the points it would contact were very close to the weld marks.
    I decided to rework the TOW triggerguard to make it into a grip adapter similar to the Pope style. Once I did some cutting, chopping, filing, and bending, I got a good fit to the Pacific lever. Then I marked the two mounting holes, and drilled both lever and adapter. After that I made sure they lined up, and tapped the Pacific lever for two 10-32 threaded holes.
    This is the triggerguard I started with:

And this is the almost finished piece mounted:

I still need to slim it down where it meets the lever, and polish it out also. It's rough sand cast, but brass, so it should polish easily. Once I have the adapter polished out, I'll install it on the lever with some button head allen screws that will allow me to tighten them in the limited space the rear screw has.

Did a little reshaping on the stock and forearm today to get rid of the geometric shapes on the PG area, and forearm tip. Couldn't go much further, and not have it looked messed up, but it did improve the looks a lot.

Took some off the bottom of the perch belly also, as it didn't flow well near the PG area.

In Remembrance

Excellent work.

Thanks DLCTEX!

Took several applications of the CT (chromium trioxide) to match the color, but it ended up very close!

Now just a few coats of Wipe On Poly, and it should be done.

Boolit Grand Master
    Vall, if you just can't stand to have your Schoyen Ballard in that hairy old case, I've got a #5 Pacific that is hanging around here naked, and it would be proud to wear a fur coat. I'll be happy to take it off your hands. Don't thank me, that's just the kind of nice guy I am.

Your Friend the Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Vall, if you just can't stand to have your Schoyen Ballard in that hairy old case, I've got a #5 Pacific that is hanging around here naked, and it would be proud to wear a fur coat. I'll be happy to take it off your hands. Don't thank me, that's just the kind of nice guy I am.

Your Friend the Frog
    Thanks Froggie! But the shipping on this big heavy case might cost more than it's worth! It has to weigh 35-40 lbs.!!!

Metal went off in today's mail! Hope to have it all back and finished in time for our August two day collector's display show, so I can make it part of my schuetzen rifle display!

Vendor Sponsor

chromium trioxide ?

Used in metal plating and is very reactive in the presents of some other common substances.

You use it to stain the gun stock?

I'm not much past basic when it comes to stock finish. But I do like to tinker on my singleshots. Where can I learn more about what this does.
    Sorry - not meant to hijack your great thread.
    Chill Wills

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast