RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee hand press for depriming

Boolit Grand Master

Those machine marks hold more lube than you think Jon. And in a travel press or one used in nasty conditions a thicker than normal lube may be good to consider. a heavy wax based grease may help seal water and crud out of the ram casting joint. I might even consider checking the wall thickness of the casting and if thick enough drill and tap for a 1/4 28 grease zerk. This would allow easy lubing and for grease to be used to push crud out easily.

Boolit Grand Master

Throw that wet brass in a dehydrator , the kind you use to make beef jerky, spread the wet brass out in a single layers , on the trays and let it run until dry.
    I don't like to get water in and around my reloading stuff either.
    Another method is put the brass in pillow case or mesh drying bag , secure the top well and throw it in the dryer. Do it when wife isn't around...she might object. Mine doesn't but the food dehydrator is my preferred method.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I recently bought a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand DePrimer Tool. It works very well and works on many different cartridges with the change of one of the three bushings included. I purchased mine for about $35.00.

Attachment 169055
    I can't understand why everyone who reloads doesn't use one of the Frankford Arsenal tools to deprime brass prior to cleaning and sizing! That is the easiest, quickest way to deprime brass, and it doesn't matter if the cases are wet, dry, dirty, or whatever. (short of plugged full!)
    The tool works better than anything I've ever used previously.

I am with marlinman, I got one of those deprimers, do it upstairs while watching tv or utube on the big screen. After they are deprimed they get citric acid washed, dried, primer pockets cleaned with small brush or qtip.

Then dried and into my dies clean and shiny with just a smear of lube on my fingers.

My brass has never looked so good, my dies are happy. I can normally see pistol brass clear to the primer hole with a good wash, swirl/swish soak swirl/swish soak then rinse twice.

It was not that expensive, and I really like the way it fits my reloading and lifestyle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    With the Lee hand press you have to stop..remove the shell holder and dump out the spent primers about every 20 cases or so..there is no place for them to go but to sit in the ram...just a nuisance but still there.
    That's my only complaint with the hand press...other than that they are just plain handy !
    I bought one , found so many uses I bought another . Enjoy reloading at the kitchen table , my office desk and even done some sitting up in bed !
    Just wish it had a better used primer system.
    Gary

Banned

"...they are just plain handy !"

Yes sir

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "...they are just plain handy !"

Yes sir
    Mine works just great with the Lee sizers. Easy to use upside down, don't even need the catch bin.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I bought one , found so many uses I bought another . Enjoy reloading at the kitchen table , my office desk and even done some sitting up in bed !
    Just wish it had a better used primer system.
    Gary
    You mean like this? It holds about 100 spent primers

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    When you empty the spent primers from your hand press dump them into a mason jar. They may be useful to you during times of ammo shortages.

The primer storage then becomes a feature, not a bug.

Boolit Bub
    Northwest Florida here and clay pits are one of my spots for picking up free brass. Just have to wash and rinse the clay out and off the cases before spreading them out on old aluminum trays to dry in the sun. Then they get put in my Frankford Arsenal tumbler with crushed corn cob media and a few drops of wax before sorting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You mean like this? It holds about 100 spent primers

Randy
    That looks the goods. Tell us more...
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

I carry a Lee hand press with a universal decap die and a coffee can of brass in my Kenworth. gives me something to do if I don't feel like reading while setting at the loading dock. Primers go in a ziplock bag till I get home.
    Do you want fries with that?

Boolit Bub

Cool

I use the hand press if swmbo is around, especially if the tv is on. Too much noise.
    I have a Lee Classic Loader for every caliber I load in my SHTF bags. Course I'm now too old to "bug out" so I'll have to bug in.

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    That looks the goods. Tell us more...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ine-Hand-Press

Here's all the info on the first run which has been sold out. 2nd run coming soon.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123