RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat Marlin's gas check makers

Boolit Master

Pat Marlin's gas check makers

order his 45 PB pistol checkmaker. Wouldn't you know it, I was part of a swamping of orders to him.
    The wait was worth it.
    USPS delivered it at 3:30 today and by 4:15 I was punching out disks. Most of the time was used to find a L-N-L bushing and a locking ring for the check maker.

I was using soda cans and had made a poor man's cutter for the aluminum. I was off by half a turn on a 10-32 screw. The strips worked but I made them just a hair wider cause the wider ones would still fit.

After punching out 50 or so disks I had to see how the check maker worked for making the actual gas check. Less than 2 minutes later I was making them and each one was perfect. Got so I wanted the printing on the soda can on the inside of the check--picky, picky, picky.

Turned out 25 or so and couldn't wait to see them on the bullets. Pat recommends putting them on freshly cast bullets. I has some Lee 200 gr RNFP ones that were cast 6 weeks ago--same day, 6 weeks: that's close enough

Used my Lyman 450 for the first batch and it required me to take a second to have the bullet square and then push/pull the handle and I had my first PB (plain base) gas checked bullet. It was on there, too. All that followed were mirror images of the first.

Next came the Lee push through sizer and it was even easier than the Lyman 450. Snap a gas check on, put the bullet on the ram and push the bullet through the die. Wow, they were going on as fast as I could place them on the ram.
    NOTE: I RAN THE BULLETS NOSE DOWN THROUGH THE PUSH THROUGH SIZER. Since they have flat noses the can go either way.

We're about to get hit with another massive thunderstorm 'experience' so I folded my tent and came in the house.

next will be trying it on some powder coated bullets--why you ask? Why not?

This is a great new toy for me to play with
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Moderator Emeritus

Walter, I appreciate your report....been wanting to try a plain base check maker.....need some pictures.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the feed back report. I have been holding off on buying more checks as I ruminate on buying the checkmaker and making my own.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gascheck.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	168986
    on left are the disks that get punched out first
    You then reconfigure the check maker and make the gas checks seen in the right foreground.
    That's it for the check maker which is the 45 PB pistol one

the .452 bullets you see above all have gas checks on them care of the Lee push through sizer. I tried one on a .457 bullet and it fit so the checks work on them too.
    the three bullets, upper right are powder coated and bevel based. The gas checks are well attached to them as well as the bare lead bullets on the upper left, It might look like there are wrinkles along the side of the checks but the sides are smooth to the touch.

I'll get some shots of my jig I use to make strips from the soda cans but it's raining cats and dogs and Houston is under another flood warning--it's the new normal down here.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

How I love 'recycling'.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus

Walter, Thanks for the pictures....you are helping me spend my $'s....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    What was the "wait time"?

Boolit Master

More Pictures

wait time was 15 days from time I ordered till it arrived. Pat said he had a bunch to do and as they are all special order I kinda understand

Here is a shot of the bottoms of the above bullets; one is PC and not gas checked for comparison

Name:	gc2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	169007
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master

My metal stripping "machine"

I didn't want to ruin or at least dull our paper cutter so I cobbled this together. Just a couple of plywood boards with adjustment screws on the back. This way I can adjust down to the 1/1000 th.

I ran both piece through the table saw so I would have slots for the screw hole. Screwed them together and drilled and taped where the slots matched up. I found a small framing square in my junk collection that I like cause I can keep my fingers a bit further from the blade. Good old box cutter with a new blade and you can see one of the 'processed' aluminum cans.

I cut the top and bottom of the cans off with a bandsaw then trim the end on the wooden jig.

Name:	gc3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	169008
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master

In these two shots you can see how the screw goes through the jig. After threading the hole I took it apart and ran some super glue on the treads to keep them from wearing. Each screw has a lock nut to hold the adjustment.
    the nuts sit proud of the wood which is important as you will see

Name:	gc4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	169009 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc5.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	169010
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master

these show you the positions of everything when cutting. The left one shows how the framing square butts up the end ends of the screws. You can see how the framing square needs to have them above the wood so they will act as a stop for it.

As with most of my efforts there is trial and error involved to get the proper setting.

The other shot is with the aluminum can in position--it is butted up to the narrow board

Name:	gc6.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	169011 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc7.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	169012
    Last edited by Walter Laich; 05-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master

A strip that has been cut off. It usually takes two light passes with the box cutter to make the cut. You need to exercise care that your blade doesn't wander off into the body of the strip--it need to say tight against the framing square

Name:	gs8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	169013

I am cutting .667 strips so I can get 5 per can. Each is 8" long. depending on the caliber you would be making gas checks for the number of strips would vary.

Name:	gc9.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	169014
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master

Final thoughts.

since your knife blade has thickness you will need to set the spacing wide enough to allow for this. This is where the trail and error comes in. Set it, cut, measure and adjust from there. Be sure to have both set to the same length so you don't get a taper in your metal strip. There is a bit of leeway in the gas check makers as far as width goes however I wouldn't cut all my strips without trying them.

I used old greeting cards as my test material as I'm very cheap and didn't want to waste any of the can aluminum.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Man
    Nice! I was thinking about getting the Pat Marlin but was not sure about it... I think you pushed me over the edge!

Boolit Master

my biggest problem now is getting my wife to drink the soda so I can get to the cans
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    my biggest problem now is getting my wife to drink the soda so I can get to the cans
    Switch her to Arnold Palmer Ice tea they you will get bigger cans.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I have been making my supply of cans for awhile now for when I can finally start playing again. I just cut the tops and bottoms off and flatten out the sides for storage. I have already filled a full hd 55 gal plastic garbage bag with just the tops and bottoms for scrap yard. Got a paper cutter for a buck but your idea is pretty good.

Boolit Master

whatever works for you is the way to go.
    I've read things on this forum that gives me ideas to modify my methods or come up with new ones. That's why I like the place so much
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Buddy
    By all means get the pb checkmaker. I use .002 coke can material and have had nice success with some long-ago cast 173gr Kieths by running them straightly into a lyman 450 sizer. They also stay on. I have recovered them from a bucket based rubber-mulch bullet trap at 25 yards and none had lost the check.

Boolit Grand Master

Is Pat Martin no longer a member, or why can't I send him a PM?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast