Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: American Enfield trigger pull

Boolit Master

American Enfield trigger pull

Is there a way to reduce the trigger pull on a sporter M1917 American Enfield short of a new after market trigger? Pul lis 5 lbs with no creep. Like to get 2.5 lbs

There are ways, but you really don't want to do that. The actions is a cock on closing action and you don't want a light trigger if you are slamming that bolt forward. With a little practice, a fellow can get used to the military two stage trigger and do very good work with it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    It has been modified to cock on opening. No creep in the trigger just a 5lb pull.I use to use 2 oz triggers on my Stolleteddy.but that is a differant game,
    Practice is the answer as you said . I tried 12.5 g unique and same with Universal . 200 g 314299(5 groove orginal barrel.Universal has promise . i shoot 50 yrds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 026.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Dayton traister trigger. I have one on my modified CBA match rifle set at 1.5 lbs.

In Remembrance

I sporter finish `Bubba` worked on `14 & `17 Enfields. I am so familar with their 2 staged triggers that I have a hard time shooting anything that is a single stage. On occasion I have installed a Timney trigger in place of the 2 stage miltary for certain built rifles.Robert

Boolit Master
    Polish the underside of the receiver where the two humps on the trigger with 400 and 600 grit silicon carbide paper to smooth the metal and try that. Should reduce the trigger pull. After that use the 600 grit paper and only polish the two humps. Do not try and remove metal here polish is the word. Clean and lightly lube the underside of the receiver. While trigger pull may be slightly reduced it will be smoother. I'm a fan of the military two stage trigger pull and have been shooting mil surps for years. You can get so used to the two stage pull and have gotten good accuracy by staging the second stage rather than just pulling through both stages. Frank

Or you could shorten the sear return spring by 1 curl and try it. If still too stiff, take off another curl.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnmike View Post
    Dayton traister trigger. I have one on my modified CBA match rifle set at 1.5 lbs.
    I also liked the Dayton Traister trigger and speedlock. It doesn't have overtravel adjustment like some, but isn't at all bad in that respect, and I have an irrational preference for not putting aluminium on an old rifle. I didn't much care about eliminating cock-on-closing, which you get used to and which cushions the wrist. But the faster lock time seemed worth having.

However cock-on-opening involves modifying the cam at the rear of the bolt, and I would want to check this very carefully on a rifle with which someone else had done it. Normally that cam lifts the firing-pin out of its dent in the primer (which isn't very important in a bolt action), and prevents it from denting the primer until you turn the bolt to the closed position. In a normal Enfield this is what keeps you safe if the sear for any reason (including an unwise trigger job) fails to retain the cocking-piece on closing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    Or you could shorten the sear return spring by 1 curl and try it. If still too stiff, take off another curl.
    This is worth doing, not to produce a really light trigger pull, but considerably less than 5lb. If you grind rather than cut the spring shorter, with some force on a rather blunt sanding belt, the heat will affect just enough of the spring to close up the end like a new one. This helps to straighten out the force applied by a rather short spring.

The Enfield can be treated like many military rifles, by welding a piece onto the trigger to take an adjusting screw, which takes up the first pull. This doesn't lighten the break-off point, however, and for that you are left with some of the other means suggested here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    It has been modified to cock on opening. No creep in the trigger just a 5lb pull.I use to use 2 oz triggers on my Stolleteddy.but that is a differant game,
    Practice is the answer as you said . I tried 12.5 g unique and same with Universal . 200 g 314299(5 groove orginal barrel.Universal has promise . i shoot 50 yrds
    shooter6br,
    is that a p-17 enfield with the ears milled down or is it a remington mod 30 which is basicly the civillian version of the p-17. i have a remington mod 30 in .338/06 it has a timney trigger in it. great shooting gun and accurateRick