Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snake shot rat shot loads

Boolit Grand Master
    The key requirement for using garden implements on vermin is a long handle. 4' is good, 5' is better; much past that and we're into ridiculous territory.

Robert

Boolit Master

I tested five of the recommended load of 5.5 Unique as I ended up dispatching a snake a couple days prior with the ready made ones. Around 15 feet and the rounds did poorly. Or probably more accurately I did not test fire the store bought stuff at 12 or 14 dollars for 10 rounds. Probably not a good technique to follow. Anyways the Unique load at 30 feet didn't put a whole bunch of shot on 8.5 Xbox 11 although both capsule hit within 4 inches of point of aim. Fired two at 9 feet much better pattern and capsule it pretty close to point of aim. One at 3 feet hit point of aim. I could see that removing a snake head. Interesting point about reducing charge. I think I might give that a go. Got to get some butcher block paper before I do that as 8.5 x 11 isn't really showing what's really happing. As for cost comment I totally agree with you as for no more than they are it seems expensive. But preloaded was either 12 or 14 for 10. Thinking 50 capsules were 9 dollars. Where I got taken to the woodshed was that 10 pound bag of #12. That was over 50 smacks to my front door. Gonna try some of those home made rounds this fall when things slow down a bit. All good stuff thanks for sharing your experiences.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

I too found the listed charges for the .357 bore to be too much for my #9 shot loads.

#1 the patterns were far leaner with the listed charges.
    #2 The #9 shot would go right through any exposed tin roof/siding, so they would not work for rats in the outbuildings. (yes, I experimented before perforating my walls)

The neighbor did mention laughing when he saw me shooting voles from the tractor seat while mowing.

Ha! I used to shoot starlings from my riding mower, about a 3.2 acre plot, and the neighbor boys would come outside dressed in their best cowboy outfits - including holstered cap guns - and watch me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12