WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating depth for WC

Boolit Buddy

Seating depth for WC

I bought the Lee mold for the 38 spl, 148 gr WC.
    There is no apparent crimp groove on this guy, so what do I seat at?
    I should be crimping, correct??

(Back in the day, I used the top groove and crimped there.)

thanks
    billboy

Moderator Emeritus

I crimp all my WC ammo, but I can't tell you that's the end all be all way to do it.

I seat them flush or just below the case mouth.
    My NOE HBWC has a slight bevel on the top, to allow a crimp while seating flush.
    Is there a slight bevel on your Lee mold ?
    If not, I'd seat it just below the case mouth, then a slight crimp.

edited: it also depends on the load and how much case capacity you want/need?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I don't use the lee mold but I usually leave the front drive band out of the case and taper crimp to flatten things out.
    there is enough neck tension there to light off 3 grs of powder in a 38 sp. case with ease.

now if I'm using the wad cutter in 357 cases and pushing it with 6+grs of powder then I seat to the same length [front band exposed] and roll crimp.

Boolit Master
    What Lee WC mold are you talking about? I think there's a TL(tumble Lube) design and a regular design which has 3 lube groove and a crimp groove.

With the tumble lube design you can crimp into the top tumble lube groove or seat flush. Either way works.

If the WC is to be shot in an autopistol, seat the bullet flush with the case mouth and put a slight roll crimp.

If the WC is to be shot in a revolver;

1. Roll crimp in crimp groove is there is on.
    2. Taper crimp on side of bullet where the crimp groove should have been.
    3. Roll crimp into the top lube groove.

All of the above work just fine, if the loaded rounds fit in the cylinder with ease. If not, adjust accordingly.

Pic 1 is NEI wadcutter with no crimp groove, case taper crimped in top lube groove.
    Pic 2 is H&G wadcutter roll crimped in crimp groove on bullet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg   005 (2).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Reddog beat me to it. I have used both of those bullets and have varied the bullet depth from flush to about 3/16" exposed, looking for difference in accuracy/performance. I didn't notice enough difference to say, for a fact, any depth was much better than any other (I'm sure it was me and my flawed testing/marksmanship). The button nose Lee bullet has a crimp groove so I seat to that depth and lightly roll crimp.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry bout that. It is the Tumble Lube guy.
    thanks
    billyboy

Boolit Buddy
    Great responses from all.
    Now, can you help me with my marksmanship?

billboy

Boolit Buddy

I agree with runfiverun, I leave a little hanging out and taoer crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by soldierbilly1 View Post

billboy

Buy 20,000 primers, 8-10lb of Bullseye, WST, or Titegroup, and 140lb of lead. Cast and load as needed.
    Shoot 200-400 rounds per week, concentrating on holding as steady as you can, the front sight, and a nice smooth trigger squeeze.
    In a year or two your shooting will improve substantially. Mine did.

Boolit Buddy
    Comm'on now......only 20k primers....what's the poor guy gonna do for primers for "fun shootin" As you can tell from my forum name I have fired a couple of WC in my day. Dry fire 500 trigger squeezes a day, 1000 rounds a week for practice and two full matches a week will get you tuned up and on target. Now if you want to be "good" add a coach and Camp Perry or any National match is doable... I have always found flush loaded WC were the most consistent. Good luck and "front sight squeeze, front sight and squeeze"

I'm still experimenting honestly, but I've found the best accuracy so far with one band out, and crimping in the crimp groove. Experimented with one crimp groove out, and seated flush.
    Seems to be that a strong crimp helps with consistency and powder burn.
    Wadcutters are great and incredibly interesting due to the sheer variations possible before settling on a load. Seating depth, lube grooves, alloy, powder burn rate, crimp, size to diameter, and loading style.
    There's a lot to experiment with and it's half the fun trying new things once you think you've got an established load.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the wonderful advice.
    I am squeezing on my front sight right now.

bill boy!!!

Boolit Master

billboy
    Four words are the gist of pistol marksmanship - "Front Sight And Squeeze". I'll add - The grip should be fore & aft - fingertips could be flopping, or at least not touching the pistol grip, or if touching, NOT SQUEEZING! I believe it was Bonnie Harmon that said one should concentrate on the front sight - not just focus on it, but concentrate. Be aware of how the upper left corner of the front sight is so sharp, a perfect right angle. Sight alignment is important, but must be automatic, and ancillary to that upper left corner - or upper right corner, if one is left handed (lol). Wow - just thinking - it was over 50 years ago I heard Bonnie say that, at Perry...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

the front sight thing does matter...
    so does how much and the viscosity of your lube.
    I use as little as possible and run it just wet enough to fling off at the muzzle, having a little friction to the lube is important.
    I have been running a pretty long term experiment in my 9mm's where I just keep on thickening up the lube with no other changes.
    I started out with the lube wet enough to just blow out of the groove [made one heck of a mess in the pistols] and have been adding more and more wax to the mix as I go.
    I have 2 more batches to try one I think is just right and one should be a bit too hard.
    the clean ness of the pistols and the accuracy has been improving as I go along.
    this is solely a test of how the lubes viscosity affects the accuracy over time.
    [it's also why I have a fiber drum with almost 10-k leftover 9mm rounds in it and a couple of ammo cans of separated rounds with the same load in them]
    I have been doing a blind test where the wife, my s.i.l, and youngest daughter are doing the shooting but not knowing I have been slowly changing the lube.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post

Buy 20,000 primers, 8-10lb of Bullseye, WST, or Titegroup, and 140lb of lead. Cast and load as needed.
    Shoot 200-400 rounds per week, concentrating on holding as steady as you can, the front sight, and a nice smooth trigger squeeze.
    In a year or two your shooting will improve substantially. Mine did.
    I agree with all of that except the amount of rounds necessary. A fine pistol shot can be turned out with 1,000 rounds of concentrated practice and a good coach that sees your mistakes and help you make correction. Every shot fired is done with great determination and attention to all the basic. No plinking or noise making, just serious marksmanship.

The difference between an average pistol shot and a great pistol shot is mostly mental.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I don't have access to a good coach(or any coach for that matter) so I need more practice and rounds to work out the bugs.
    Beside, I like to hear the gun go bang and see the holes in the target.
    My wife already says I am mental where guns are concerned. Does that count?

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry bout that. It is the Tumble Lube guy.
    thanks
    billyboy
    I normally seat the T/L bullet with mebbe 2 or 3 grooves exposed, but playing around (experimenting) I've gone as far as 5 grooves out of the case mouth...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

With regard to technique during shooting, some advice I find helpful is to not only focus on the front sight, but resist every urge to peek at the target and get a "play by play" of your shots.
    Instead try to follow the front sight during recoil.
    This will help with your follow up shots as well as keep you from peeking over your front sight.
    If your target is not what it should be when you bring it back, randomly load 1-3 rounds into your revolver with no attention to where. The combined dry fire and live fire will give you an idea of what you're doing when you anticipate the shot.
    The last advice seems counterintuitive, but I would say start shooting at 15-25 yards and only then start bringing your targets in. That distance brings out the best in everyone's focus and concentration, rather than shoot a few cloverleafs up close and expect to do the same at distance.
    Remember, try to dry fire 5x as much as live fire. If this is your carry piece, practice your draw and dry fire slowly working your way up to medium speed until your muscle memory is developed and the feel of that gun is deeply burned into your brain.

Most importantly have fun!
    Progress is far more important than perfect!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you choose to seat the wadcutter flush reduce powder charges to compensate for the increased seating depth. Most load data allows for some amount of the bullet outside the case above the crimp groove rather than seating the entirety of the bullet in the case. Doing so generates more velocity and pressure with the same powder charge.

Char Gar's second picture is very similar to how I seat the Lee 148 TLWC. Due to its very generous meplat, very similar to Char Gar's second picture bullet, it is a favorite of mine for anything that needs maximum whap on target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast