WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Missed it!

Boolit Buddy

Missed it!

So my wife and I went on a date on Saturday and after dinner we went to Cabelas to look at holsters for her carry gun.
    What a great way to end our date!
    Anyway, I just had to peruse the used gun section to look and see what was there.
    They had a nice shooter grade Marlin 336 in 30-30 that was marked western auto.
    It had some scratches on it, bumps and bruises but it looked like it lived an honest life. The price? $250!!
    Why did I not buy this thing?!?!?
    A guy at work has been looking for a lever gun and I told him about it Monday.
    He went out that night and it was gone. Not surprised, it was too good of a deal to pass up, and yet I did.
    Im going to regret this one for a while!!

I did the same thing today. I saw an older 336 for $300 and a win. 94, post 64 but no push safety, for $350, which in these parts are great prices. But I'm putting money aside for another project. Somebody's happy.

When I spot any gun that's tagged way below it's true value, I buy it right then.

If a friend and/or relative isn't interested, it's usually N.P. to turn it over (most times, at a profit).

Boolit Master
    Usually when i see one marked at a cheap price, I look it over real good cause usually there's a reason it's cheap!

Moderator Emeritus

Modified, all of us have done this, I think. So you're in an awfully big group there! I know I've done that several dozen times. Sometimes, that old saying, "You snooze, you lose," really IS true. And apparently, I'm not a very fast learner. Then too, my Dad used to say, "A hard head makes for a soft butt sometimes." I think he had that right. Just wish I was smarter than I've proven out to be. But I HAVE at least gotten it right sometimes, and I guess I ought to be grateful for that. Once sold all my centerfire handguns and got a M-29 6" and intended that to be my "all around, do everything" handgun. Didn't take me long to realize I'd made a mistake. Loved the gun, but it was just too bulky and heavy for a real all around gun for my purposes, and I was too lazy to tote it. C'est la' vie, I guess?

I bought my first 1894P about four years ago for $300 on Gun Broker during the Super Bowl. Gotta grab em when you see em. That being said I've kicked myself plenty of times for passing on one thinking maybe I'd go back and when I did they are always gone.

Keep your eyes open. OBTW, I'm headed to Cabela's next Tuesday - fingers crossed.

1895gunner
    http://1895gunner.com/
    Reloading | Shooting | Hunting

Boolit Master

Got a laugh at the local pawn shop a while back, every 94 regardless of condition was marked $1100. One of my customers came in with what he thought was a 336 parts gun. Looked like a house fell on it and bent the upper and lower tang and busted the stock. A little work and the tangs were straitened and a used stock was installed. He gave it to me because he thought it could not be repaired.
    Last year I looked at an 1890 in 22 WRF at Cabela's and the asking price was $450. That seemed like a fair price except the barrel had a bunch of holes drilled in it and the gun was in rough shape. I make barrels for these quite often and would have bout it if the price had been closer to what it was actually worth. A week later a fellow came into the shop and sold me an 1890 action for $50. It now looks like a new gun.