Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Convection Oven and PID

Convection Oven and PID

I've been using a cheap non convection oven for PC Baking and was considering getting a new oven with 2 trays to speed things up. Figured I'd look into convection this time.

One problem I've considered, is how the PID would work. I currently have my PID hooked into my current convection and it works really well.

If I go convection, I'd imagine the normal PID hookup wouldn't work since the fan in the convection needs to run constantly and only the heating elements need to be cycled by the PID.

Anyone using a PID with convection or do you just rely on the built in temp controls? I'd imagine you could just take it apart and wire the PID directly into the heating elements, but just curious what everyone else is doing.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old ''thrift store'' convection oven in the other room I never finished, but I separated the fan out of the circuit and added another cord just to run it. Then broke down and just bought a new one from Walmart.

So far it seems my newer oven does not require a PID although I am sure it could not hurt. I simply checked it against an oven thermometer and it holds temp pretty consistently. Not perfect, but it seems to get the job done well and I do like the increased baking capacity.

Mike

I may just go that route and see how the results turn out. Don't want to unnecessarily over complicate things.

Boolit Master
    Yep you will need to open up the side and rewire the fan. My fan was a 12 volt so I simply took an old cordless phone powder cord with the converter and wired it up. I have two plugins now when I use the oven.

Boolit Master
    Non convection model here. I just drilled a hole in the side of the unit away from any wiring and stuck the TC in via that method. I just set it to "on" and let the PID control the temp adjustments. This is the method that finally lets me get green boolits from the "hitek zombie green"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My PID goes straight to the elements. The fan and light are direct wired through a flip toggle on the back.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    My PID goes straight to the elements. The fan and light are direct wired through a flip toggle on the back.
    PM sent on your PID. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just buy an Oster convection oven from WalMart for under $90. Great BIG oven with digital controls that maintain the temp within ±4F. Don't waste time and $$ trying to convert a piece of junk scrap oven with an add-on controller. Buy a new oven that does the job and has a H-U-G-E cavity inside!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Non convection model here. I just drilled a hole in the side of the unit away from any wiring and stuck the TC in via that method. I just set it to "on" and let the PID control the temp adjustments. This is the method that finally lets me get green boolits from the "hitek zombie green"
    same here. I have it about an inch over the tops of the tallest bullets I PC. Works fine and took all of 10 minutes including locating the drill bits that seem to walk off when I'm not looking
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Mold
    Hi BangerJim,

Which Oster model do you recommend? I am looking online and I would venture the models have changed in the last few years. Do you know if some of the models are better than others for maintaining temperature?

Much appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Physics

Boolit Master
    I bought the middle Oster convection from Walmart for $49, it holds to w/in 10F so I haven’t bothered to wire up a pid. Of course my powder coating experience is about a week, so take it for what its worth!

Boolit Master
    I am another convection oven user.

I used a small Black and Decker toaster oven for over a year. It held temp really well and is the only oven I have had that the dial was exactly what the oven temp was. But, it was small. Just big enough to get me hooked on powder coating

I ended up buying a Toshiba convection oven, one that will take a 12" pizza, with two shelves. The convection part is nice as the temp comes up fast and stays stable.

Caution: if loading up a bunch of bullets make sure the cooking tray will take the weight. My first tray slipped out of the 'grooves' when loaded with 6lb of bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Black and Decker convection here. I tore out the electronic guts and wired the cord directly to the heating elements, hooked up a separate cord for the convection fan. The heating elements get plugged into the PID and the fan into an extension cord. Sometimes the PID will go crazy trying to stabilize the temp with 25 degree over and undershoots but after I reset some of the settings to default, it'll stay within 2 degrees of selected.