Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastco
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: MiHec H&G #50 HBWC 38/357

Boolit Master

Looks like mine should be in tomorrow. I'm ready to start heating my pot up now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

MiHec H&G #50 HBWC 38/357

Props for the Monty Python.

Still no joy here.

Edit: Looks like MyUSPS does track these once they clear a US sort facility (after customs). Curious what would have delayed these in customs for so long?
    Last edited by StuBach; 03-15-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Boolit Master

Mine's here, too. Chill pill worked.

Boolit Man
    Just received my mold that was mailed on Feb. 2, 2017. 6 weeks to get here.
    What is amazing is I ordered two other molds in March and both took 8 days to get here. So Who knows what happened to cause the delay of the initial shipment.

Because of a mix up on my part I now I have two, two cavity H+G 50 HB with all 3 sets of pins. I only need one. So I'd like to sell one of them to someone else on this group buy that may have missed out on getting one earlier. I have $125.93 in it. I'd sell it for that price plus shipping. Is anyone interested? If so send me a personal email.

Thanks, Jeff.

Boolit Master

Mine arrived today. I can't wait to try it out. As expected, it looks like a work of art.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

MINE CAME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Postmarked 7 February, the great news was/is upon opening, it surely appears to have been worth the (U S Customs) wait!
    Now, if the two feet of snow would melt so I can get to garage and do some casting.....
    geo

Boolit Master

I got to spend a little time with mine. It's starting to break in.

I can't wait to load some up now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

2WheelDuke (and others) -- Vendor has a huge caution vis reduced loads ONLY for the hollow point version, of which you cast some gorgeous looking examples! He wrote, in offering, "I cannot stress enough a hollow base version is for gallery/ target loads only, and serves to better shoot point of aim, using less powder and lead."

As I wrote, it (sadly -- dang snow!) will be a couple of weeks before I can start casting with mine... Might you share the load you'll be using? My plan will be to load hollow-down in my S&W 52. Using my H&G 527 mould, I propel that boolit with 2.3gr of Bullseye -- my "normal" target loading. I'm curious how this might function MP HBWC version... And, even more curious what you'll be using?

Thanks VERY much!
    geo

Boolit Master

Light target loads are the only reason I cast wadcutters at all. I'm also planning to use Bullseye, and under 3 grains worth. I'll have to see just how low I can go with my powder measure on my progressive press.

I'll be testing loads a bit, and I'll definitely be testing the hollow base against the conical base. I'm eager to see which is shoots best, if there's any difference. They're both looking fantastic.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

MiHec H&G #50 HBWC 38/357

Mine finally arrived today and of course had to go chasing after the mail carrier cause she hates to get out of her truck.

Can't wait to try them out.

As for a load, I've got original #50s loaded as low as 2.3 grains of bullseye and they shoot great in my S&w 38 masterpiece. Looking forward to seeing how these will compare.

Update: Finally got to cast some of these. My deep cavity drops are coming in right around 127.5gr with shallow coming in around 129.4gr. Pulled an old Lyman manual and they list a HB wadcutter similar to our shallow cavity at recommended charge of 2.7-3gr of bullseye.
    Last edited by StuBach; 04-01-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Mold
    It finally arrived.

I have to say I have not been this anxious for something to arrive in many years.

Please continue to post your results, I really learn a lot for all of you and appreciate all of it.

Boolit Master

I had to rush things a bit, but I got some trigger time today.

I took some that I normally would throw back for minor wrinkles and ran them thru the .358 die. I sure am glad these came with the top punch.

The smallest setting on my powder measure gave me 2.7gr to 2.8gr of Bullseye. That's the .30 cavity in the Lee Auto Disk. I ran mixed HS brass and Winchester small pistol primers. I put the domed cavity in yellow brass and the conical cavity in nickel brass.

It was almost like a pop gun going off. Not much noise, and no recoil to speak of in a 4" model 28. I know the bullets were making it to the target, because I started in the "safety lane" that ends in a steel snail trap. You just can't miss the sound of the boolit hitting steel then rattling on down.

Both styles hit well below my sights. Complicating the matter, I stepped on my prescription glasses and haven't got new ones yet. And I didn't have any regular targets in my bag, only black on black centers. With it being almost dusk, I had issues aiming properly. I was hitting something like 6" low at 25 yards. They weren't too bad at 5 yards, but I did notice a slightly different POI between the 2 styles.

Considering my poor aim today due to no corrective lenses, they seemed to show some accuracy potential. And I was shooting what I'd normally toss back, so that may have had some effect as well.

It'll be a few days before I can cast any more, but I expect the new mold to fully break in during the next session or two. Between new glasses and "keeper" boolits I can expect much better results. I'm also hoping that a few more FPS raises the POI up into the ballpark of my other loadings.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I received a 2 cav... gratis for my trouble.. It sure is pretty... Thank you!

Boolit Master

Can we move this to the closed/results area?

Any other results from this mold? Those of you in Northern latitudes should be seeing some warmer weather by now.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    2.4gr of Bullseye in 38spl cases with these had good results in my S&W K357.

Haven't been able to work up a load, only been able to cast up a few but in the coming weeks I'll be able to sneak in some range time with titegroup and bullseye.

I've been getting much less rejects with the cone, than the spherical pins, so far.
    Been using 50/50 pure and range scrap, and no problems lube sizing to .359.
    Just installed a spring kit in my 686+ and can't wait to give it a run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Vendor Sponsor

I have 9 molds in 4 cavity. (I did small re-run).
    If you want one send me PM
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Man
    I have a 2 cavity mold with all pins for sale. New in the box if anyone is interested

Was able to squeeze in some range time, trying out a bunch of wadcutters and I have to say I'm pleased as punch with the Cone pins. They cast and shoot the best for me.

I compared the Lyman 358432, HG50, HG50-HBWC Dome, HG50-HBWC Cone in my SW 442. All were cast in 50/50 Coww/Pure with a little bit of pewter thrown in for fillout. Sized to .359 and lubed with Carnauba Red in two lube grooves. All were seated in the crimp groove in mixed HS brass. These groups are at 10 yards with my SW442 Airweight, with a nickle for scale.
    3.2gr Bullseye proved the absolute best for the HG50-HBWC CONE pins, as you can see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HBWC442.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	196734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	groups2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	196735

I wasn't sure if I was pulling shots, or a fluke so I had to reshoot, with similar results. (I had just finished shooting a lot of full house 357 Mag) The HBWC cast around 129 or so for both pins IIRC and only shot half an inch low at 10 yards.
    Guys, I gotta tell you this gun never shot well for me. I was about to give up on this gun, no matter what I tried I got throat leading, FMJ and boolits would hit a foot right at 25yards, and I considered this a "up close and personal" gun.

I would highly recommend the load recipe mentioned, I've never shot this well from my 442 and I left the range giddy as a man could be.
    For backstory, I have the following wadcutter molds: Lyman 358432, HG50, HG41, Ideal 358495, and the HG50-HBWC.
    I've tried working up tightgroup and bullseye, 1/2/3 lube grooves filled, crimping on the lube groove, pure or 50/50 alloy or Lyman #2, and sorting cases by headstamp.
    With all that trial and error behind me, I've never found a load as accurate as this one for my 442. These are now my de-facto wadcutter load, hands down.

In fact, im excited to cast up many many more of these HBWC, all thanks to the craftsmanship and quality of MiHec.
    Big thumbs up Miha, you rock.

Wishing everyone fun at the bench and at the range!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567