Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: New Lyman bore scope

New Lyman bore scope

Has any one tried one of the new Lyman bore scopes out yet? I just bought one on line and have not got it just yet but it looks like it might be good for checking out barrels to see how well you are cleaning and in my case see what my machine work looks like inside the bore.

Boolit Master
    I have one and it works great! I used it the other day to clean my barrel for a series of tests that I just started today. Took three cleanings before I was satisfied it was clean.

Great! thanks Doc. It looked like it should work fairly good in the description add on ebay where I bought it last night. Also I think it will be a great help when I am chambering barrels and doing throating and opening up neck diameters on chambers.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

While I dont have the Lyman model, I bought a Hawkeye 17" bore scope some years ago. The bore scope is a very usefull tool for several tasks, checking the bores roughness, checking for fouling deposits. Wear throat errosion, looking for damaged areas from cleaning rods or other causes.Mine gets used quite often, not just on my rifles but others as well club members, friends and competitors as well. Its a tool that once you use one it is hard to get by with out. A cleaning rack or stand, or a good vise is a big help in holding the rifle steady while looking in its bore. Is th Lyman a flexible optic or solid tube? What is the smallest bore it will enter? How long is the optics tube?

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Borecam is solid and 20" long, fits 20 caliber and larger bores and has a SD card for taking pictures.

Boolit Grand Master

SOunds Like a very useable unit then. Thanks Doc

I have used a Hawkeye several times and although they are a great tool I just felt they were a little over priced for what they are just my opinion I am not bashing them at all they work very well.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

I will agree the hawkeye is expensive. but when I bought mine in the late 80s they were the only game in town for the individual. I had borrowed a buddies several times and decided after the 3rdor 4th time it was time to get my own. The lyman wasnt available then. There were some industrial models available that were really expensive was all.

Boolit Grand Master

I like mine very much. My shooting buddy seems to like it as well, I'll get it back someday, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Well I had a chance to use the new Lyman bore scope that I just received and I am very happy with it. I checked out 4 new barrels in the shop and looked at a couple of customers barrels after they thought they had them clean and boy they were wrong,I had to give them some more cleaning for sure. I will have to say this is a great tool for my shop and I will recommend this for any one wanting a good bore scope for a good price that wont break the bank account.
    Loren.

Vendor Sponsor

Loren - thanks for pointing this 'new to me' Lyman bore scope out. I did not know there was an economical option to the Hawkeye.
    Chill Wills

You are welcome Chill Wills I just found out they were selling them about two weeks ago myself.Also what is nice with the Lyman scope is you can stop anywhere in the bore and take a still photo and it saves it on a memory card and then you can down load it on a PC or other device .

Boolit Master
    You also have the inch markings on the rod so you know how far down the barrel you took the picture at.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    You also have the inch markings on the rod so you know how far down the barrel you took the picture at.
    Yes I forgot that is another good feature Doc.

I also have a cheap endo bore scope that I bought on line that does work Ok for $20.00

Boolit Master
    The problem I have with bore scopes...I have one of the cheap eBay endoscopes too...is even after I see it, I don't know what I'm looking at, beyond, yes it's dirty or no, it's clean. I'd be happy to invest a couple of hundred bucks to get a really good high resolution picture of a bore, if it would prove useful beyond seeing how clean it is. Or maybe if there's a chunk out of the rifling or it's rusty...that's about it.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    The problem I have with bore scopes...I have one of the cheap eBay endoscopes too...is even after I see it, I don't know what I'm looking at, beyond, yes it's dirty or no, it's clean. I'd be happy to invest a couple of hundred bucks to get a really good high resolution picture of a bore, if it would prove useful beyond seeing how clean it is. Or maybe if there's a chunk out of the rifling or it's rusty...that's about it.
    Yes I understand your point of view of the borescope. In my case I re-barrel rifles and some times I have to open up the neck diameter or run a throat reamer in the barrel and it helps me to make sure I am getting the job done correctly. It is also nice to see throat ware and tool marks and of course pitting. So I guess in my case it is worth it for me and my shop needs. But for the average guy it is probably not needed like you say.