MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: revolver sights

Boolit Master
    The Hi-Viz style front sights I have look like a plain Patridge at the range where the shooting benches are covered and the optic isn't lit. There is some bloom from the fiber optic when I'm out in the woods but the front sight is easy to find and I know where to put it in relation to the rear sight. I think the speed of target acquisition is worth the mental adjustment.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    I use big dots on my competition revolvers. very fast for combat accuracy. at 25 yards plus they tend to cover any fine point you are aiming at. I usually just cover the center of where i aim at that distance, they are quite accurate. you do have to run them through their paces until you get used to where point of aim and impact is. Good shooting to you.

Moderator Emeritus

One other related but not quite on topic note: One of the neatest little .22 pistols was made up by a friend of mine years ago. He simply took a Ruger Std. Auto .22, cut the barrel down to @ 3.5", and installed the right heighth Lyman Shorty ramp base and a 1/32" white bead slide in front sight, and a Ruger adj. rear with W/O, and gee golly wow is that one neat "river gun." That little front bead is just the right size for shooting snakes' heads off when the fishing is slow, and the snakes need thinning or are poisonous. It'll work on single actions, or whatever as well. Sure makes you focus tighter and shoot better. Sights are a real boon when they're right for whatever your target is, and different sights tend to work better for different types of targets. For bullseye shooting, I like plain black, with undercut front, but for the field, which is where I've always done most of my shooting, a W/O rear and white insert front do better for me than anything else I've ever tried, bar none. But that's with MY eyes. Others' eyes can and will definitely differ. And the older I get, the brighter I need my sights to be for the field.

Just thought I'd comment on those little Ruger .22's. They stay well out of the way until you need them, and then do a first class job from a boat or anywhere you need a really accurate but still compact gun that mostly needs to stay out of the way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    One other related but not quite on topic note: One of the neatest little .22 pistols was made up by a friend of mine years ago. He simply took a Ruger Std. Auto .22, cut the barrel down to @ 3.5", and installed the right heighth Lyman Shorty ramp base and a 1/32" white bead slide in front sight, and a Ruger adj. rear with W/O, and gee golly wow is that one neat "river gun." That little front bead is just the right size for shooting snakes' heads off when the fishing is slow, and the snakes need thinning or are poisonous. It'll work on single actions, or whatever as well. Sure makes you focus tighter and shoot better. Sights are a real boon when they're right for whatever your target is, and different sights tend to work better for different types of targets. For bullseye shooting, I like plain black, with undercut front, but for the field, which is where I've always done most of my shooting, a W/O rear and white insert front do better for me than anything else I've ever tried, bar none. But that's with MY eyes. Others' eyes can and will definitely differ. And the older I get, the brighter I need my sights to be for the field.

Just thought I'd comment on those little Ruger .22's. They stay well out of the way until you need them, and then do a first class job from a boat or anywhere you need a really accurate but still compact gun that mostly needs to stay out of the way.
    Who could live without a Ruger Mark? Best ever and has stood the test of time when others went away, even good ones. I had a Mark I standard and it was dead on at 25 and the bullet crossed the line of sight at 80 yards. I hit little birds on power lines at 80. Feel bad about it now because I love birds. Why did I do that?

Boolit Master
    Wondered why there were so many power outages back that way.....44man!!!!

Dick

Moderator Emeritus

44man, for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there. I too once did such stuff, but grew out of it. Dad taught me to eat whatever I shot, and as a kid, I shot about 60+ sparrows with my BB gun, and we ate every one of them one night for supper. Boy! Did I ever feel some real pride in being the "provider" of that meal, and Mom and Dad ate heartily, though Mom was a little skittish about it at first. We learn and develop. We don't come into this world with a good mind and conscience. We develop them over time .... at least some of us do.

Banned

I'm a retired lineman and just want you to know that shooting at or near a power line that could possibly cause an outage is a federal offence. Not only because it can cause an outage that could effect someone on life support but because shooting insulators (a popular sport believe me as ive spent days changing them out) can actually cause wires to come down and kill you. We had one section of transmission line that went through a popular duck hunting area that we had to work every year! Not one to lecture though as I did dumb things when I was a kid too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123