Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The type of person I am, powder related.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    I hear that number on some add on the radio, don't remember what or who the ad's for but every time I hear I break out singing!
    Tommy TuTone, 1980s. "Jenny" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

Why do you care what some delivery truck driver thinks? I don't know why folks think they have to answer questions they don't want to answer. If folks get to pushy, "None of your damn business" work for me.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-25-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

I know all the delivery people and post office clerks in my area. I probably chat with them too long and tell them too much, but when they know you, they are more likely to lookout for you and your packages.

I guess if a new person delivered some powder or such, and I had a sneaky feeling they were a nosy liberal, I might be tight lipped.

this reminds me, years ago, before I was a reloader, I was knee deep in Mil surp rifles and would order mil surp ammo by the case to feed them. I don't recall which seller it was? but I ordered 1k of 8x57 mil surp ammo "bulk packed". I received a cardboard box filled with loose ammo, no packing, no nothing. A corner of the box had a bruise and torn a bit. When I picked it up off my porch, I noticed powder was streaming out that corner...I looked closely at my sidewalk, and seen a wispy trail of powder going down the sidewalk and out to the street

I opened the box and 50 to 100 rds of that ammo had no projectiles...they were in the bottom of the box in a bed of powder..Lots others were corroded. Most of the headstamps were dated from the 40s. I called and had words with the seller. they sent another box of ammo, packed about the same, but it arrived in better condition, and none were corroded.

what were we talkin' about again??? LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Well, let's see, you had to pay for the Haz-mat paperwork that goes with the shipment. It is on his paperwork or in the pad he carries. He knows what is in the package when he is doing his job correctly.

Lot's of paranoia around this post.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    867-5309.
    everytime, everywhere.
    1600 Pennsylvania Ave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    If memory serves me, Mihec would put tools on his boxes for customs. Generic works!
    When I worked for a small specialty store we made shipments to Canada with USPS. There's a manifest attached for customs and it would state "jacketed cores" for Sierra's, had other names for other stuff. Nothing firearms related listed on the packaging. The recipients liked it better that way.

Boolit Buddy
    This would have been a great comeback line.

''We got a great deal on imported glow-in-the dark sex toys, but are you sure the glow stuff makes em hazardous. I didn't see that is their ad. Sure hope it's not lead based.''

Bet he'd smile every time your girl friend opens the door. She might kill you if you tell her though.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    My answer is "just some flammable stuff, you know all those crazy shipping regulations".

Boolit Grand Master

My ups guy just came. While signing for the box he asked "what ya blowing up now"?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    My ups guy just came. While signing for the box he asked "what ya blowing up now"?
    HAHAHAH sounds like me and my guy. He's a great dude, same with my rural mail lady. Always told her if the pkg is to big give me a slip and i'll go to town and pick it up. and she has a few times

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I seriously doubt the drivers care even a little bit. It's just a box and a stop to them.
    Until the guys in sport coats set them down to answer a few questions to "help" with their investigation.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Just tell them it is batteries, even flashlight batteries are list hazardous. They probably already know what it is they are just making conversation.
    Our ups and usps both know I buy lead. If they happen to ask it is fishing sinkers,230gr 45 cal. look a likes.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

A lot of places ask for your address and or phone number the clerks are required to do so and if they fail to get a percentage I am sure they are spoken to. They track sales to areas and most likely sell your number to some marketer not sure why they want it with all the cell phones now days not much data collection worth.
    When the person ask for my number I just say I am married or I asked if i can have theirs and where they live. Keep in mind they are doing what they are told to no need to beat them up for doing their job I am sure it gets old to them fast.
    And if you do not give them a address your junk mail would slow down lol.

BTW this is a sure fired way to cut junk mail down. When you get any mail with postage paid return envelope stuff all the junk mail into it that will fit. The postage they are charged is by weight you will be removed off that mailing list fairly quick. Added bonus the PO gets more money and they need it I hear.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

There was a place that insisted on your name and address. They would send out their flyers with your first initial and last name. I used to tell them my name was Frank Raud. The flyers would come addressed to Mr. F Raud. I guess Paul Honey would have worked just as well.

Boolit Master
    I worked with a fellow years ago, and he would have packages shipped to work occasionally via ups, we'll come to find out dude was dealing dope out of his house, needless to say he got caught. But it pissed off the boss and me, cause he could have gotten the shop closed for a while till they found out what was going on. I couldn't afford to be out of a job!
    Last edited by izzyjoe; 06-07-2016 at 11:11 PM. Reason: None

You guys are funny my powder deliveriess from UPS, have a hazmat tag "4" flammable solid, smokeless powder. Your mail man and UPS guy take care of your packages, so I'm friendly to them. Don't kid youself your word games are not fooling them. I prefer to engage the driver so he knows I know him and recognize him, so he take care of my deliveries. I don't advertise my gun or reloading hobbies but you are not fooling your UPS/FedEx driver.
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master

I smile and say "my insulin, thank God it is here"
    I have had comments from postal clerks at the post office, even had a customer threaten to call the police, I told her she could use my phone and I would stay until they arrived, I was in uniform too. Some people. She never called. The clerks now just laugh and I leave.
    Be well
    My attitude is usually dependent on who's mouth is open and how I feel that day. As my grandfather said "play with a bull you my get the horns"
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Today, I received an 8# of 2400. I ordered from Recobs and it was about 195.00 to the door. Not bad pricing, it is about 10.00 more than PValley.
    I hear the UPS guy, and I make it out the door before my girl knows what just showed up.
    The UPS guy hands me the package and says: "hazardous material, I wonder what's in there?"
    I look at him and smile and shrug my shoulders. I say nothing.
    he then gives my oldest dog a treat, I thank him, and away he goes.
    I am not at my house, I am at my girlfriends, and this was a younger driver I had not seen before.
    So, I am so much of a weirdo I get paranoid when people ask me things like this, my past UPS driver, reloaded, so he was alway cool about what was delivered and chatted often about it. Now I am here thinking, did I answer that right? why ask me whats in the package?
    None of their business. His business is to get you the package and thats the end of it.
    Years ago, I ordered in another case of Wolf 7.62x39. The UPS guy made a comment about that much ammo and the weight on his dolly.

My normally mild mannered bride told him it was NOT a lot of ammo and none of his business anyway. In the future to keep his comments to his self.
    I was so proud of her.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Why do you care what some delivery truck driver thinks? I don't know why folks think they have to answer questions they don't want to answer. If folks get to pushy, "None of your damn business" work for me.
    I don't think being rude is the answer to anything, certainly not Christian. By the way it's "too pushy"
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

362-4368
    From AC/DC "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".
    Used it at Lowe's once, the frumpy 50-ish cashier sang the next line - " I lead a life of crime....."
    I was still chuckling in the parking lot.