Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Pro 4 20 LB. Furnace Mold Rest Mod

03fatboy, the rest stays right where I put it. Very nice.

OS OK Good idea.
    Mike B.

[QUOTE=MBfrontier;3658934]03fatboy, the rest stays right where I put it. Very nice.

I'm putting that on my list of things to improve my casting pot with.

OS OK, I'm going to try the nut for added weigh thanks

03fatboy, FWIW, I think the key to the rest being rigid is the hole in the 3/8 rod that slides and locks onto the left 1/4 in. leg needs to have the least amount of play possible while still adjustable. In my case, I was able to use a 1/4 in. drill bit in a drill press to drill the hole with the 3/8 rod held in a vice which limited the run-out on the drill bit. If you try to drill that rod by hand in a vice you could end up with more clearance allowing the rod to work loose. Just a thought. Sorry about the rambling.

It will be interesting to see how my rest hold up over the long haul. Murphy always lurks.

Let me know if you have any questions while building yours and let us know how yours works out.
    Mike B.

I certainly will let you know, I have to get past my busy time, then I'll have more time to try the mod.
    Did add some weight to the handle and that made a big difference in the dripping on my Lee pot.
    Again thanks for the very good ideas.

While you have it apart, add a wingnut (I think a 3/16 was what is needed) to the shutoff rod. Makes life much easier to adjust the flow without struggling with a screwdriver. And I've found that if it started to drip run the rod down and back up a couple of times to clean out junk. I tried to add heavier weight in past with no success, maybe you will have better luck. Love your mold rest. Make up a few and we'll buy them. Looks better than what I'd fabricate

I'm curios. As to the function of the pan head screw next to the flow control rod. Is it some kind of stop?

bazzer485,

I think you are referring to the flow adjustment screw. Screwed out, it allows more lift of the valve rod allowing more flow from the spout, in, less lift of the valve rod and flow at the spout.
    Mike B.

Boolit Buddy
    Try adding a nut to the top of the threaded rod, seems to keep it straighter and aid in seating.

Quote Originally Posted by MBfrontier View Post
    bazzer485,

I think you are referring to the flow adjustment screw. Screwed out, it allows more lift of the valve rod allowing more flow from the spout, in, less lift of the valve rod and flow at the spout.
    My pot is different than your. The flow rod has a thread on it and you just screw that in and out for flow adjustment, no second pan head screw like yours,,curious!

Just an update on my mold rest mod. I have had very good results from this modification after 4 or 5 casting sessions. After I made one adjustment to better align the mold with the spigot, the rest has stayed where it was put without loosening. This mod has made using different mold designs much easier to use than the mold rest that comes with the pot.

The heavier weight on the valve handle has slowed the lead dripping but has not eliminated it. It's not a big deal but it would be nice if it didn't drip at all. The next time I empty and clean my pot I'll give it a good dose of valve grinding compound between the valve rod and spigot.
    Last edited by MBfrontier; 07-16-2016 at 07:39 AM.
    Mike B.

Boolit Buddy

Very good idea, maybe I'll make one of those too now, thanks for posting this.

Here's some of the pictures that don't show up in the previous posts because Photobucket was used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	219709

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	219710

Name:	IMG_1256.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	219711

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	219712
    Mike B.

Boolit Buddy
    Mike,

Thanks much for posting these. You are giving me enough ideas to build my own guide

Will

Boolit Mold
    Nicely done. Looks like it would function much better than the factory rest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12