RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: H&R Pardner .410 Question

Boolit Master

H&R Pardner .410 Question

Saw one tonight in as-new condition. Looked un-fired. Very tight action, nice brown laminate stock.

Serial number prefix CAC.

Can this model be re-worked to .45 Colt or similar handgun caliber?

Dutch

Probly not. Your best bet is a liner job, and .410 is almost .45 anyway, not enough room for a sufficiently thick liner. .22 probly not too hard to do (even higher power 22s). Best approach IMO is to get 12 gauge barrel, cut it off in front of the lockup section, and bore it straight and thread it and thread in the barrel of your choice.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've shot .45 Colt out of my .410 H&R. Adequate. I wouldn't recommend it without choke modification. You might mic your choke and mic the bullet you plan on using to ensure they are compatible.

Moderator Emeritus

If you could find someone to stub the bbl and kept it away from Ruger Only loads it should do fine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post

Saw one tonight in as-new condition. Looked un-fired. Very tight action, nice brown laminate stock.

Serial number prefix CAC.

Can this model be re-worked to .45 Colt or similar handgun caliber?

I wouldn't advise it (YMMV) ....................... AFAIK, H&R shotguns were made on the SB-1 frame, which is made from cast iron ILO the steel that SB-2 rifle frames were made with.

Also, (generally) "shotgun" firing pins will need to be bushed to a smaller diameter for the reliable ignition of the smaller (than shotgun) pistol/rifle primers.

Boolit Master

I'm right in the middle of doing one now that is 45 LC. Used a new barrel from GM and turned it down to match the diameter of the old barrel at the chamber end and left it at that diameter for the full length. Made a new lug and extractor and getting ready to put sights on. This had already been done in 44-40 on the same action so now it has three barrels. Could also be done in 38 special but not 357. A 22 hornet would probably blow primers. Most of the time I tell customers to use a cartridge that started life as a black powder round but then you got to use a little common sense also, you would not want a 50 express on a 410 action. A 45-70 will work on a 12 gauge action if the action is of good quality. I would not take an old 12 gauge action that has a damascus barrel and put a 45-70 on it.
    I picked up a couple of the old H&R 30-30s a while back and will most likely turn them into some other caliber.

I built a 45 Colt on a Baikal 410 last year. The barrel profile was very slim and just about where the front of the forend was the diameter was approximately .625 so I cut the shotgun barrel off at that point.
    I have a reamer that is .610 dia. so that is the diameter I decided to bore the stub to. I chucked the stub up in the 4 Jaw Chuck and with a small boring bar I bored the I D to about 39/64" then turned the stub end for end and bored the other end to the same size.
    Then I drilled slowly with a long 39/64" drill bit until it was drilled thru then reamed it with the .610 reamer so it was the same diameter all the way thru the stub.
    I bought a barrel blank off eBay that was .625 OD and pre chambered for a 45 ACP it was about 21" long. I turned the blank from the breech end forward to the length of the stub and finished it about .005 under the stubs bore dia. and once it was perfectly fit I epoxied it into the stub and used a length of all thread rod with flat washers and nuts on both ends to keep it tight until the epoxy was cured.
    The "joint" where the blank met the stub was filed and polished with Emory cloth while spinning in the lathe and became almost invisible. I reamed the chamber to 45 Colt and drilled and tapped the top side of the stub for a scope base and finished the barrel in the parkerizing tank.
    I gave the rifle to a friend of mine as a gift so he had a "proper" deer rifle to use here in Ohio for deer hunting because he bought a Rossi Curcuit Judge revolver rifle in 45 Colt to use and that thing is less than ideal for a hunting rifle.
    The 410 converted rifle shoots 1" groups at 50 yards with light loaded factory ammo and now that I have the die set we will work up a more energetic handload for it and it should be at least a 100 yard deer gun.
    I built a 30-30 on a H&R 410 Pardner shotgun for another friend in the same manner and it shot great so a 45 Colt should be fine on a H&R.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Yes, but. The receiver will handle standard 45 coal loads. You may or may not find that the extractor works. The key issue, as stated above, is choke. The barrel is likely choked full or light full which is not to be recommended with .452" bullets.

You have three options: 1) keep your eye out for the the 410/45 Tamer - a rifled barrel with choke tubes. Some people have been able to get it to shoot 45Colt decently despite the freebore. It will never pattern shot well. 2) either have the choke on this smoothbore opened up to cylinder or fitted for a choke tube. This seems a somewhat expensive way to achieve a poor accuracy 45 Colt rifle. 3) get a rifled chamber insert for 38 special (if it will fit) or 327 Federal?

Boolit Master

I'm not suggesting I want to shoot .45 Colt out of a .410 barrel. I'm talking about re-working the existing .410 into a .45 Colt via barrel stubbing or something similar.

Think I'll pass on this potential project.

Thanks for the info!!

Dutch

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I'm right in the middle of doing one now that is 45 LC. Used a new barrel from GM and turned it down to match the diameter of the old barrel at the chamber end and left it at that diameter for the full length. Made a new lug and extractor and getting ready to put sights on. This had already been done in 44-40 on the same action so now it has three barrels. Could also be done in 38 special but not 357. A 22 hornet would probably blow primers. Most of the time I tell customers to use a cartridge that started life as a black powder round but then you got to use a little common sense also, you would not want a 50 express on a 410 action. A 45-70 will work on a 12 gauge action if the action is of good quality. I would not take an old 12 gauge action that has a damascus barrel and put a 45-70 on it...
    I have had John do several of these for me and have been VERY happy with the result.

It is nice to still have the original .410 barrel as a combo-pack option too!

Using the pre-WW2 .44/.410 or 28-ga. action it makes a light gun, 4-1/2 to 5 pounds, depending upon barrel length and caliber.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I'm not suggesting I want to shoot .45 Colt out of a .410 barrel. I'm talking about re-working the existing .410 into a .45 Colt via barrel stubbing or something similar.

Think I'll pass on this potential project.

Thanks for the info!!

Dutch
    Sorry for my misunderstanding.

There's an H&R Carbine Classic in the rack at the Thornton Cabelas for $359 as of noon May 23rd.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk