Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Effect of grooves on cast bullets using powder coating??

Boolit Mold

Effect of grooves on cast bullets using powder coating??

I've been buying cast bullets from various suppliers for several years. For the last year I've been buying powder coated bullets and have been pleased with them. The PC I have been buying do not have lube grooves. Some of those I've bought for my .308 I've had to re-size to .310 and have not noticed any degradation in how they shoot.

I have a couple thousand lead pistol and rifle bullets. I would assume it would be necessary to remove the lube before trying to powder coat my existing stock of lead bullets, correct? If so how can I get the lube off?

I cannot find any bullet molds that do not have lube grooves. I'd love to find something like this http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=2357 without grooves. Do the grooves hurt performance in a PC bullet?

I do not currently have a casting set-up but do have about 100 lbs of lead I've been saving from various sources and am about ready to get into casting if I can use the powder coating method.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    NLG molds are generally custom made by folks on here in group buys. I have 2 of them and see absolutely ZERO difference in performance compaired to my standard grease groove or microgroove boolits that are also PC'd.

Strip your grease off. Do a search on here in the white above for SEVERAL (!) methods of removing grease. It has to be removed 110% or you will have problems. I have my method that wrorks perfectly every time but am not going to go into that detail. It has been posted at lease a dozen times on here.

Get more lead to cast! I can go thru 50# of Pb in just one trip to the range!

Have fun!

bangerjim

I like to get the lube off my lead 2 ways.

Shoot it off
    Or smelt it off.

Other then that ..

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 248dm View Post

I would assume it would be necessary to remove the lube before trying to powder coat my existing stock of lead bullets, correct? If so how can I get the lube off?
    Just shoot them. Life is entirely too short to clean lube off of bullets.

Do the grooves hurt performance in a PC bullet?
    No. Period. As I type this I have a batch of PC'ed bullets cooling off in the toaster oven. They have lube grooves. They shoot fine.