WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 45 Question

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 45 Question

An older gentleman who comes in the gun shop now and again ended up moving into senior housing and selling his house, guns, and reloading equipment.
    I came into his Lyman 45 and a 450, along with several Sizers and Top Punchs with the plan of finding them a new home. The old Lyman 45 even came with the Original Lyman BOX.
    My Question: I only got one pressure screw ratchet. It is marked LYMAN-IDEAL Middlefield CONN with Stainless on the handle end and CM-13 under the IN with arrow on one side and J.W. CHAPMAN MFG CO. DURHAM. CONN. USA on the OUT with arrow side. Which one did this ratchet go with, the 45 or 450 or could have been with either??

I have been planning on getting this stuff cleaned up and listed, but I have been very busy this Spring. I did get the Sizer Dies all boiled out and cleaned up, but that is as far as I have gotten so far.

Bob R

More than likely the 45 ,by the time they had started marketing the 450 ' Lyman ' ( solo ) was the predominant stamping
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

I'd also suggest the Lyman 45. They came with those stamped metal ratchets that look like they will fail in a short time, but I have a nice collection of Lyman 45's, they all still have the original ratchets still working. An alternative, if you want the Lyman ratchet to continue looking like new, is get a small ratchet from a tool shop and use it. I have several of them I got from SnapOn, they are made from two pieces of stamped metal connected together with ratchets on both ends.
    I'm still using the original Lyman 45 I got well over 30yr ago and it still functions like new. A definate work horse, may not be the purtiest thing but if you take care of them they will outlast you
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Buddy
    You could go here and get a better one http://chapmanmfg.com/products/famou...-ratchet-cm-13

Boolit Master

My Lyman 450(used) was missing the wrench when I bought it. I had a chapman ratchet left over from work, so just put it on and have been using it ever since. May just keep it when and if I ever sell it.
    John
    W.TN