Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: trying to decide, need help

Banned

trying to decide, need help

Hello friends,

I want a new 22LR pistol. I want a semi-auto as I already have a Ruger Single Six.

My LGS has a used Smith and Wesson 22A1 with a 7" barrel( 7 1/2"? ) with a Sig red dot sight for $399. It looks to be in good shape.

At the same store I can get a brand new Buckmark Camper with a 5 1/2" barrel for $369. I'm stuck. I have read for days on the two guns. I have read about 22A1 frame cracks also.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. I have to ask you to keep in mind that I live in California and my choices are limited to what is on the approved roster so I didn't ask about Rugers.

Thank you to all in advance.

Steve in N CA

I can't comment on the Buckmark as I have never held one in my hands. I own 2 Smith & Wesson 22A-1 pistols and both shoot extremely accurately. The only negative I can come up with is the trigger is a bit rough. After shooting for a while the trigger gets better.
    One of the pistols I have wasn't very accurate out of the box. After 75 rounds the gun suddenly became as accurate as anything I have shot. I am not sure what changed.
    Neither of my 22A-1 pistols are ammo picky. They shoot well with any ammo I have run through them except for one brand of high speed hollow points.
    I also own a Ruger MarkII competition model. The S&W 22A-1 pistols are equally as accurate as the Ruger. I have shot both guns from sandbags with scopes mounted and the groups are identical.

If "new" could be interpreted as "new to you", find you a good, clean, used Ruger Mark II. They are accurate, easy to maintain, and can be had for $250 - $300. You can still buy Volquartsen triggers for them as well. They also don't have all of that lawyer BS that the Mark III has. I just saw once locally for $260.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huntrick64 View Post
    If "new" could be interpreted as "new to you", find you a good, clean, used Ruger Mark II. They are accurate, easy to maintain, and can be had for $250 - $300. You can still buy Volquartsen triggers for them as well. They also don't have all of that lawyer BS that the Mark III has. I just saw once locally for $260.

To huntrick64:

I appreciate your advice. I have been looking for a used Ruger for a while. I can't get a new one here in California because they are not on the approved list. My favorite local gun store just had two Rugers come in for sale on consignment and both sold the first day for $450 apiece. That is why I am comparing Buckmarks (which are on the list and I can buy new) to this 22A1 that is used but has been there a while.

Thanks to all. Great advice.

Boolit Master

I had 4 different Rugers, three different models and a Buckmark.

I still have the Buckmark.
    S&W 22, I have no idea, take both in your hand, which points naturally when you bring it up?
    Is the frame cracking common, or is it an internet issue with cracked frames, what is S&W's remedy?

That is the reason I had Rugers and still have a Buckmark.
    To me the pistol has to "fit" one first of all!

And that is nothing bad about Rugers, just did not "fit" me.

Boolit Master
    I have a Buckmark 5.5 Target. Barrel and barrel mounting screw (straight blade screw driver) are steel while the frame is aluminum. When I got the gun in 1994, it fired ok. not what I expected vs. my Dad's 60's vintage all steel Buckmark. When I got home and attempted to clean the gun I couldn't get out the barrel screw. A local gun smith couldn't get the darn thing out either. When I called Browning I was told to send it in and they would take care of it in 6 months or so. I took it to another gunsmith who through amazing determination, heat, freezing, and several screw drivers he got the screw out. During this process, the frame was scratched (from a breaking screw driver) and somewhat discolored from the heating. I was so irritated with the gun it sat in my safe untouched for more that 10 years. I have started using it again but based on my experience, I would look elsewhere. I have never considered another Browning product either based on the customer service I received.

Boolit Master

The buckmark is used by some in NRA Bulleye,with trigger work. I never heard of anyone using the S&W for competition.

Boolit Master
    check out the beretta neos, I got a 6" model for my wife and it is her favorite pistol. Its not a match grade but a fun cheap plinker. Digests any cheap 22lr I toss her.

edit: Damn sorry for where you live, I just googled it real quick an beretta has dropped from the approved list. Best of luck in your search.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several Rugers a 4 3/4 standard model a 5 1/2" bull barrel and a 8" slabside bull barrel model on the polemer 45 frame all are very accurate and easy to shoot and maintain the 4 3/4" and 5 1/2" were purchased used ( Black eagle grips though) and Ive never had to do much to any them. If you have a 1911 pistol another option is the marvel conversions. a new upper assembly and mags that convert the 1911 to 22 lr. I have one of the target grades and its as accurate as most rifles. Another is a good used S&W model 41 either 5 1/2" or 7" these were Smiths top of the line target pistols back in the day and they are very accurate comfortable pistols to shoot. I use the marvel conversion alot as its on an extra 1911 assembled frame I have. Its easy to remove install can be fitted with Iron sights or a rail for red dot scope or holo sight easily, and is just a joy to put thru its paces.

Boolit Buddy

I own the Buckmark hunter, bought it when my wife wanted to shoot leagues and needed something with a 10 shot magazine. She shot so well with that pistol the other couple we were competing against didn't even show up to finish leagues after a few weeks! Its a tack driver right out of the box. haven't had any issues with it yet and we must have at least 2500 rounds through it.

Boolit Buddy
    I would look for an older High standard, maybe a Supermatic or, as I have, an HD Military. My HD military is the best handling and shooting auto pistol I've ever had. The only thing that's ever come close to it was a Colt Diamondback. Had two Ruger MK II's never got comfortable with either. HD Military and Supernatic would blow them away!

+1 for the HD Military. It is a sweet shooting pistol. They have a reputation for cracking frames if any but standard velocity ammo is used, and the "knowledgeable" tell you to replace the mainspring periodically with a 5.5 pound spring. I guess mine is due for a spring change.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    Ruger Mk 2 with either a 5 1/2" or 6 7/8" bull barrel. I've had both the Smith and the browning. The Smith had a poor trigger and ate recoil spring buffers. The Buckmarks kept having the rear sight / top strap come loose or fall off no matter what loc tite was used.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Smith for the wife as a gift. It was fairly accurate, but it was very ammo picky. It would ftf at least once in every mag with everything but CCI. I would avoid that gun like the plague. I have also owned a couple of buckmarks--cant say anything bad about them. However, really fell in love with my mkII. 6 7\8 target.