Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Grandpa & Grandsons

Boolit Master

Grandpa & Grandsons

A few days ago a friend called & said one of his new hay fields was being over run with ground squirrels & wanted me to check into it for him. When I hear this kind of news I always think of badgers. Even though I love shooting ground squirrels badgers are my summer time "bear hunts" & I love tangling with them.

I called my oldest son at work & ask if the youngest 2 grandsons would like to do a ground squirrel safari with grandpa. He said they were fishing (Brook Trout) at their secret fishing hole but he would call them & have them ready.

When I got there they were ready, the second grader had a model 62A Winchester pump 22 & the fourth grader had a model 63 Winchester 22 auto. They told me they had hammered the Brookies & were ready to whack some squirrels. Even though these boys aren't very old they are very good squirrel busters with hundreds of kills under their belts.

I told them we might bump into a badger so be ready & it would have to be a head shot with the 22's or the badger would escape & die in his den hole. They are very hard to kill. Neither one of these boys has killed a badger yet so they were hoping we would get in a fight with one.

After 15-20 minutes both of them had whacked several squirrels & I happened to look in my rear view mirror & there was a badger sneaking across the road. He had been hiding in the fence row when we drove by & was heading for the sagebrush on the other side. I bailed out & started running back down the road.

In my hands was my S&W 45 Colt Mountain Gun, its been cut for moon clips & was loaded with 45 ACP's & a 205 gr. HP & more than enough 231 to discourage any transgender from trying to use our bathroom.... He had made it into the brush & I slowly sneaked around trying to spot any movement, its kind of spooky beening in close with a mad badger in heavy cover, they can be a hand full.

After a few minutes I gave up & went back to the truck. That heavy brush was no place for 2 young boys trying to flush out a badger. They kept pounding the squirrels & ended up with over 30 in less than an hour. I got 7 with 8 shots using my little 32 maggie & 3 grs of WST & the 100 SWC thats powder coated. I've killed hundreds & hundreds of squirrels with that load.
    Here's the boys with their trusty 22 rifles.

This is some prime squirrel country, they were everywhere but the rain cut us short, still we got about 40 in maybe an hour or so. Most of the females are in the den hole having babies right now. In another week or so there will be squirrels everywhere, lots of little targets for the boys to shoot. I'm holding my 32 maggie in my left hand & my 8 shot 327 Blackhawk in my right hand, its loaded with 113 gr. HP's & 13 grs. of H110, this load makes one squirrel into 3-4 squirrels after impact.

Dick

Congratulations, Grandpa--you had a great day and made some memories for yourself and the boys. I've got two granddaughters and have equipped both with Ruger Bearcats. Thanks for the photos to go with the story!

Boolit Master

Way to go grampa! Its encouraging to see boys out learning firearm safety and hunting.
    I was just at the range and was really impressed by a 12 year old and the way he safely handled an AR and a few other guns, that seems to be getting rare around here.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    That's prime times for sure Dick. While I have 6 granddaughters I only have one grandson. Another will be here in a month or so. None of the girls had much interest in hunting or shooting but I think the boy will. He's 3-1/2 now and I can't wait.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banned

well, dang I was gonna get out after them again today.
    but Littlegirl didn't make it over so I gave up on the idea when it started raining again.

it's been a pretty good week for them when the weather co-operates though.

Boolit Buddy
    When i grow up i want to live in Idaho.

Boolit Master

My grandson is 9 years old and all he wants to do is play some kind game on his video game player.His mother is the blame for this as she using the games as a babysitter for him while she does other things.We try to get him interested in outdoor things but it is hard.I try to get him out fishing or shooting but no go right now.I tell him how much fun I had when I was his age doing things that boys did in the olden days.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

I went through that for a bit with me nephew.
    a couple of 45 acp rounds to the X-box cured the problem,,,, only took about a week for him to quit whining about it.

Boolit Master
    Bring those kids to Idaho, we'll make old fashion boys out & girls out of them & they will love every minute of it, guaranteed! And I'll furnish the ammo! Squirrels, rock chucks & badgers. No kid should suffer with video games & miss out on being outdoors.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Bring those kids to Idaho, we'll make old fashion boys out & girls out of them & they will love every minute of it, guaranteed! And I'll furnish the ammo! Squirrels, rock chucks & badgers. No kid should suffer with video games & miss out on being outdoors.

Dick
    Great memories and story. My grandsons rather play video games....... I'm 72, am I too old to come out to Idaho and shoot squirrels?

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Great post sixshot, and the boys have great taste in rifles!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

heck no you ain't too old.
    be prepared for a little 'open sky' shock though.

yesterday the little guy's were staying indoors for the most part, but I had about 2 hrs of good chuck hunting in the afternoon then the rain put an end to it.

the sheep are on the land where I usually go for squirrels and the new herder they have doesn't do much of a job keeping them together.
    I usually work around where they are but he has sheep all over the place and isn't looking after them too well.
    I seen one that a coyote had got already [day#1], and another one that escaped by the skin of it's tail.
    I have shot 3 yotes out of the valley he is in so far this spring and there is a lot more out there.
    [I don't really hunt them, but I do shoot them when I get the chance]

Boolit Master
    Great story sixshot, those are some some fine looking young men with a couple of great rifles.

Boolit Master
    The sun's out today so we will head back out. Those boys are itching to whack a badger or three! For sure they will pile up a lot of squirrels.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful scenery for sure. That is a hunt to be proud of and that the kids will remember a lifetime.

Boolit Master
    These young boys hunt, fish, hike in the hills, climb tree's, camp out, ride their horses & 4 wheeler's, mow the lawn, catch frogs & lizards & couldn't imagine living any other way. Sometimes they do all of the above in one day.

Dick