RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to hold powder for dippers?

Sean: Post the pic again, this link doesn't work.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_4767-IMG_20160609_203318224944489624.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	169916

There it is, only showed up in Tapatalk app for some reason. Just a One Shot can cut in half and what I call solder wick, believe the brand name is chem-wick. Had to squeeze the can just a bit to give some tension to the wick. Might try a regular copper wire next just to see if there's a difference between the flat wick edge and the round wire in accuracy.
    Last edited by Sean357; 06-10-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added description

Boolit Buddy
    Lol nice touch. Nagantguy Contents may explode on the cup i mean. Just struck me pretty funny

Boolit Bub
    I use a plastic soy sauce container from Chinese take out. It comes with a lid, in case I'm interrupted. But then I'm loading 32 ACP with a dipper made from a cut down 22LR case and a paper clip handle.

I had a run at making a pot last night and made it out of one of the big White plastic vitamin bottles. I cut almost all the way around and then left a big flag to use as the scraper.

I didn't make it deep enough and had problems getting full scoops, and also the plastic jar I made it from was so static charged that the powder stuck to it and the scoop big time.

Next one will be metal, 3 to 4" deep.

I did score one victory in that I found a .45 GAP case that dumps right at 22.0 gr of H110 almost everytime. Since my .44 mag loads are 22.0 gr of H110 it worked out perfectly.

You don't really need to scrape H110 powder as it pretty much levels itself over the top of the scoop. However I can definitely see stick powder needing it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    When I 'scoop powder', which isn't a regular thing for me, I use a rather large 'cereal bowl' to hold the powder.
    I hold the measure over the center of the bowl, and I use a separate 'scoop' to pick up a generous quantity and pour it into the measure.
    When full to overflowing, I strike off the excess, then pour the charge into a waiting case.

Dredging powder into your measure creates an inconsistency that is avoided by pouring into the measure.
    I like this idea--always was worried that my scoops weren't consistent.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Man

I use an old ladle that got its handle broken off....so it's just the bowl part. Doesn't tip over too easily luckily!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I just upgraded to one of the SS small parts pans with a magnetic bottom from HF. Part of my bench has a metal top for strength and it holds fast even if I get clumsy. I use a SS wire to strike the excess and it sticks to the pan, and is right where I leave it each time.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    When I 'scoop powder', which isn't a regular thing for me, I use a rather large 'cereal bowl' to hold the powder.
    I hold the measure over the center of the bowl, and I use a separate 'scoop' to pick up a generous quantity and pour it into the measure.
    When full to overflowing, I strike off the excess, then pour the charge into a waiting case.

Dredging powder into your measure creates an inconsistency that is avoided by pouring into the measure.
    I get the same result by submerging the scoop as straight down as possible then carding off. I have many 1/4" groups to prove it. I love the scrape bar idea and I'm building that since the 1cup Tupperware measure I stole from my mother in 1972 finally broke. RIP little guy. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Not sure what you call it, b ut it's clear glass "Pyrex?", wife says it a fruit dish or dessert bowl.

Glass is heavy enough so as not to tip over, or scoot around.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Mold
    A granite mortar.

Boolit Master
    You guys are real inventive, I just use a spray can lid with the center part removed. A spam can might be good as well, but it may be too deep and apt to get knocked over. I also make my own powder scoops from various cases, just solder a piece of copper wire to the side, and ready to go. I really get kick out of making my own stuff for reloading!

My wife has a tall stack of small and large dessert dishes, glass, clear, top is wider than the base, slightly scalloped top edge but otherwise slick and smooth inside. Just right for a single scoop of icecream or a pile of Red Dot.

I wipe lightly with used dryer sheet for anti-static before I put powder in. To empty I just put a small funnel in the top of the powder container and pour powder from the glass dish into it.

Mostly I use the small one for 50 rounds or less. But at need will grab the big one if I am throwing bigger charges.
    My powder measure for the last 2 years has had Red Dot in it with the small cylinder normally dropping between 3 grains up to 4.6. If it is much outside that range I will make a custom dipper for the load, label it and normally weigh each load. If the dipper is close it only takes a few seconds extra to just verify each load.

Boolit Man
    Screw on plastic cup off an old thermos. Have used it for over 30 years.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    plastic squirt gun.
    ???? !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

What do you use to hold powder for dippers?

Thrift stores & dollar stores are your friend! Small pet bowl!
    Most everything I have came from a thrift store!!!

Boolit Master

Originally Posted by mozeppa
    plastic squirt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    ???? !

My thought too. I decide I'd better read through the whole thread because I was confident someone else would be puzzled as well.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

bojangles plastic fix-in bowl, lol lots of great ideas

Boolit Mold
    I'm working up a theoretical 2 grain charge as I have no supplies or equipment, but I'd like to know if this is correct.

0.3CC Lee dipper is 2 grain weight w/3E
    Alliant 3E VMD .1489 x2gn = .2978 CC = 0.0604 teaspoon or .9667 of a 16th tsp.

A 16th of a teaspoon of 3E is 0.0102 CC overthrow, yet within 0.1% of the target load of 2 grains
    So, for all intents and purposes, subject to weighing, a 16th of a teaspoon is 2 grains of 3E.
    Last edited by Samdasham; 10-25-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Boolit Master

An old margarine tub that I keep loaded 3/4 full so I can dip the LEE Scoop in cleanly and then I strike the rounded powder off the top of the scoop with a business card. I've been doing it like that since I read an old copy of the ABCs of Reloading (5th Edition) by Dean Grennell and decided that at the time that was the only way I had to put powder in the cases before I upgraded to a digital scale and a powder measure. But I STILL use the method when I have a known "Good" load with the powder scoop method. Today it was 50 cases of 45ACP being charged with a .7CC LEE Scoop with IMR800X for 8.0 grains and a 200gr SWC. And then 50 cases of Alliant Steel Powder (HERCO recommended powder weight range from Alliant Powders) at 1.0CC Scoop for 8.1grs for my 400 Corbon with a 140gr boolit.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast