RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: .145" thick aluminum at Lowes?

Boolit Bub

.145" thick aluminum at Lowes?

has anyone found any good aluminum at Lowes for making 30 cal gas checks? I am buying the freechecks 111 and am hoping to find a good supply of material close by. Lowes is the only home improvement store around. I'm hoping for .145 thickness. that is the Vulcan check thickness I am running. thanks!

In Remembrance
    Do an internet search for Amerimax # 68104, 68106, 68108,68110,68112, and 68114 etc. Thickness will range from .013 thru .015.

Can buy precut strips from Yonky' James

Quote Originally Posted by zarfxo View Post
    has anyone found any good aluminum at Lowes for making 30 cal gas checks? I am buying the freechecks 111 and am hoping to find a good supply of material close by. Lowes is the only home improvement store around. I'm hoping for .145 thickness. that is the Vulcan check thickness I am running. thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

.145 is just over 1/8" thickness. I think you meant .0145 which may be close to aluminum roof flashing thickness. Its in a roll in the roofing dept with tar paper and shingles. Be carful openin the roll as its like a spring and will unwind quickly possibly cutting you.

Boolit Bub
    okay thanks guys ill look for it tomorrow. yes I did mean .0145...

Some of that stuff at lowes/HD is tempered and too hard to cut with the tools available.

Amerimax 68104 is what you want.

Boolit Bub
    okay, thanks. I didn't get to make it by today. ill have to check next week.

Boolit Master

Pat Martin recommends going to ACE Hardware for the Amerimax. check his website for the ACE SKU #

he says the big box stores' Amerimax is too hard and won't warranty his product if you use theirs
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Used to have the same train of thought and would test any flashing by folding the corner over on any flashing I was planning on buying. Testing it to see how soft it was. Too hard it would either spring back or be hard to fold.

Now I anneal any flashing that I buy. Cut it into strips and dip it in a hot pot of molten lead. Makes all the difference in the world, doesn't matter if it's the softer flashing from ace or harder flashing from lowes. After annealing it's all the same, extremely soft.

If you think the flashing from ace is soft, try annealing a couple strips. The difference is night and day. The annealed strips also make checks that softer that conform to the bullet bases better, stay on better & have no/allot less spring back.

Boolit Master
    Unless they have something different in stock, both my local Lows & Home Depot's roof flashing is too thin for 30 Caliber checks. So far the only source of quality .0145" material I have found comes from Yonky. I have been considering copper flashing.

Banned

"Amerimax 68104 is what you want."

​Yes

In Remembrance

Amerimax 68104 Roll Valley Flashing 4" x 50', Aluminum

SponsoredShop now

$41.00 · Jet.comFree shipping, no tax
    $18.99 · Ace Hardware
    $16.99 · Life and HomeNo tax
    $41.82 · Shop.comFree shipping, no tax
    $16.99 · Rakuten.comNo tax
    Hard to find!

View all sellers and prices

Boolit Bub
    I finally made it to town. I checked my local lowes. no dice they carry some union brand. we only have a small Ace hardware here. they have some Amerimax, but not the right number. he said he could probably order it. I was really hoping to find something in stock around me. oh well I guess ill still order the freechex 111. better to have it before the next election.

Boolit Bub
    okay guys another question. I'm emailing yonky right now about some coil. I know I want a .0145 thickness, but what width for use with the freechex 111. I am wanting to make 30 cal gas checks. I asked about the 5/8x .0145. he emailed back and said they have .600″ x .0145″. is that the right stuff?

In Canada I went to the contractor desk at Lowes and had them order it in for me. No Problems

I anneal any flashing that I buy. Cut it into strips and put on the grill, when the coating turn light brown it done. Soft

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    You can use the 1/2" X.0145" for 30 cal, the .6" is for a 44 cal freechex tool. Ian
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Bub
    okay thanks guys, and thank you yonky. I will be contacting you directly

Boolit Master
    You can find aluminium roof flashing in .010", .013" & .014" pretty easy online in various widths and lengths in rolls. The quick & easy way to anneal is to wipe a thin layer of liquid hand soap on one side of the metal then hit it with a propane torch until the soap turns black, then just let it cool. This makes it easy to see what has been done. An old paper cutter works well for cutting the srtips to size. Flashing works well and a roll of metal will probably give you a lifetime of checks at a very reasonable cost. The Freechex are the only tools I use because they make a perfect check, quickly; I doubt that the average shooter will ever wear the tool out.

In Remembrance
    We have several FCIII's that have well over 1,000,000 checks run through them. Charlie just makes great tools and keeps on giving!