Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 710 .270

Gnoahhh- Good on you for mentoring a youth like you have. I feel he was asserting his independence by getting the 710 and you were totally correct to bite your tongue. Don't worry he will remember your teachings always. And the next gun he gets will be higher grade I bet! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=gnoahhh;3671529Would I buy one, even for $150? Goodness no. But I can see their worth as a cheap utility gun.[/QUOTE]

Kind of a side-pondering, I suppose. . .

I was working in the local gun shop when the 710 came out in. . .what I guess had to be the mid 1990's when all of the WWI and WWII surplus was flooding the market. Gotta wonder what would possess one to purchase such an obvious piece of stinky cheese for what I recall to be about $300 when you could pick up like-new battle rifles that were built to go to war for under $100 in many cases, and make use of the B-Square and other optic-mounting options that the entrepreneurial spirit provided at the time to bolt on a Weaver V9 and come in cheaper, functionally better, and infinitely more tasteful. No liaison between Wal Mart and the sales department at Century, Sarco, etc... I guess?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

The saga continues. 5 shots this morning same 4895/150Sierra into 1-1/8". No malfunctions . My 25 shot review is; Pros- great trigger, good accuracy, good reliability. Cons- the looks, the firm bolt lift and closing. Now I'm going to load 90 gr Sierra HPs and use it more. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy

I have a beautiful 1903 sporterized '06 and a 788 in 308. The deer that they killed never knew which one of those rifles did the deed. Also have 2 Remington 721 rifles in 270, 722 in 222 & 257 Roberts, my favorite rifles of all time and some consider them cheap too.

I too like the 721/722s and I've slimmed down the stock of a 700 ADL to resemble the 721 feel. Great rifles and very undervalued.

Hello all. I hope everyone enjoyed the USA's 240th birthday! I've been carrying the ugly cheap 710 on the rear floorboards of my everyday pickup in hope of getting a shot at a pig or coyote- but no luck. Yesterday evening I fired a 4 shot group with the 90 gr Sierras(dead on but 2"center to center). Four more shots with the 150 gr Sierras yielded 1-1/2"- then the barrel and myself were too hot to continue(Texas summer). I'm pleased it was still dialed in after bouncing around for weeks. The trigger seems to have regained some creep so I'll check that out but I believe it will join the Beater Team here on the place! $150 well spent!

I'm back to say I've revised my opinion some what on the 710. The plastic action insert that the trigger is mounted on allows flex therefore an inconsistent pull. But even so today I shot 4 shots into 1-1/8" checking zero. 58grs of RL22 /130gr Federal sp pull downs from Graf. It is going Antelope hunting next week if a client's rifle goes south It will step up and gitrdone. (I'm not loaning out my Tikka) Best, Thomas.

For both of the people interested- Hpdrifter had a pretty 1893 Spanish Mauser sporter that I liked so we swapped. He's not a .270 fan either-it's too common and perfect. My opinion of the 710/770 is yes they are cheap but they work and they are accurate. If i find a .308 or 30-06 for $150 I'd jump on it. Now we both have new toys! Best, Thomas.
    Quite accurate

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ya know, I've been craving a 6.5 Creedmoor something awful for a few years and now Savage makes the Axis in it. Unlike other cheap rifles there are aftermarket goodies for the Axis. Already got a special savings envelope for it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ya know, I've been craving a 6.5 Creedmoor something awful for a few years and now Savage makes the Axis in it. Unlike other cheap rifles there are aftermarket goodies for the Axis. Already got a special savings envelope for it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I predict the Axis will get looked at more with that addition. People who wouldn't buy one before will be all- Wait. What? Lol. Best, Thomas.

I've examined the Ruger American and it just doesn't feel as well made as the Axis. The stock is even flimsier, if you can believe that. The Axis also uses the same scope bases as the round top 110, of which I already have a set. Finally, I don't care for trigger blade safeties and the Axis is available with a standard trigger whereas the American only comes with an Accutrigger knockoff.

I hear you. I pinned the blade back on a RAR .243 & it was much better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12