WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herter's Rifle ???

In my father's kitchen is a Herter's "Bowie"(nothing like one) with the "tiger wood" handles that I gave my Mom because it looked like a kitchen knife. Over 50 years of cooking and it still delivers. Back on track- I had a Herter's U9 6mm Rem complete with rollover cheekpiece and lightning bolt white line spacers- tacky charm. It shot well but I had to sell it for something trivial like groceries or car repairs.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Herter's, in the 50s and 60s and into the mid 70s, was everything that BassPro and Cabela's are today and maybe more. Everything was the "Worlds finest" and some of it was. They sold almost everything outdoorsy as well as Gunsmith tools and parts, clothes, fishing supplies (hooks, feathers and hair - This, as I was told, was their downfall, lots of trouble and fines for import of endangered animal parts). A changing world and more businesses like them also helped with their downward spiral. I passed through Mitchell, S.D. every couple of months, the last few years of their existence and got some great deals when they were going out of business. The building still stands, directly across the interstate from a Cabela's. The 68 gun control act all but finished their firearms and ammo sales (except in store). I still have some Herter's marked brass and some "Bull Moose Cook books" some knives and a life jacket from that time. The name still lives on as a Registered Trademark of Cabela's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123