MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herter's Rifle ???

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    My next nugget of advice is to buy a bottle of Sweets 7.62 solvent and get fifty year's worth of copper out of the barrel. My experience with rifles of that vintage is they never saw anything stronger than Hoppes No.9, and generally have well-plated bores. I've restored a few "shot-out" rifles with just a serious cleaning.
    Brother isn't that the truth.

Such is the story of my tang safety ruger 7-08. I bought it for $325 with a steel weaver 6X scope. When I looked it over at the gun shop it was patently obvious the previous owner didn't know what copper solvent was. The upside to such copper coated barrels is the firm belief that they haven't had their bores destroyed by overly ambitious idots with sub-standard steel cleaning rods.

A week of soaking with barnes copper solvent and a modicum of elbow grease gave me a rifle capable of inch and a sixteenth groups at 200 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

Yes, I know the copper is an issue. It took me awhile to de-copperize the barrel of a .222 Rem.
    I have used Sweets and Butches...Butches seems to work best. I have also used the electrolysis process with mixed results.
    Basically I am hoping that the action is correctly bedded. The barrel is 24" long and is moderately heavy. I don't think it is too "whippy" for that length.
    I know the barrel had no pits and it had strong rifling.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I owned(B4 some high roller needed them more than I did) two of those BSA U-9s in 284 W. One appeared to be a "rack grade "right out of the big Catalog..the other was in a beautiful walnut stock ,and to my eyes,was one of those someone bought as a barreled action,and had an actual stockmaker finish it... I MISS IT... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    My brother has a Herter's rifle in 7mm Rem Mag. He has killed many deer with it.

Boolit Master

Looking forward to the range report
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Herter's rifles are fairly high on Gun Broker

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Herter's rifles are fairly high on Gun Broker
    LOL everything is high on Bun Groker.

Boolit Master
    Old George was a hell of a writer. Always spinning a yarn about how his boy was trading Mestizo, Indian, and Aleut girls beads for their pants, and drinking the foulest local liquors on earth...
    Last edited by justashooter; 05-23-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would buy it because according to George Herter (who wrote the product desriptions) it was THE WORLD'S FINEST.
    George's best book ever...
    http://www.amazon.com/Live-*****-Geo.../dp/B0006YUQLI

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The new foam cleaners such as Wipe-Out will clean and decopper a barrel much faster than Sweets.
    +1
    Wipe-out did wonders for my old Springfield sporter.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Gee, if you want to sell the rifle maybe my brother would buy it to carry under the seat of his 1968 Herters Husky Magnum snowmobile, LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    fwiw, found a Herters BSA rifle in 6mm remington at a pawn shop 3 or so years ago. Darn if I can remember if its a U9 or J9 model or what I paid for it for that matter. Rifle needed some tender care and its Bore looked pretty bad. But, after two or so hours of cleaning, the bore was pretty darn nice. Chuckle, first rifle I've ever handled, that to remove its bolt, you need to push forward on the trigger when pulling back the bolt. Anyway, some previous owner did some pretty bad work on its trigger sears, that I've somewhat corrected.....but still its one of my more bad trigger pulls. Despite the trigger, rifle can be pretty accurate with right load.

Boolit Buddy
    I sure miss Herter's. I was in the Waseca store one time ant there was on in South Dakota on I90 I was in. I've still got "How To Live On $5 a Day". Great book but I suspect it's been a long time since you could do that Anyone still got a Herter catalog? Oh I've got some Herter reloading gear too. At this time mostly old dies! Herter Model Perfect, loved that place!

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of the catalogs, one from the glory days, No. 80 of 1970, and one almost at the end of the company's life, No. 88 of 1978. They are valuable references for Herter's items since there is frequently a lot of detail on how to set up and use them.

I don't know whether it was in How To Get Out Of The Rat Race And Live On $5 a Day or the Professional Guides' Manual, but there was a tip on how to survive in the woods if you had no means of getting game or finding edible plants. George said that at the bottom of every lake or body of water in the forest there was a sediment which was partly mud but mostly anaerobically decomposed (semi-digested) leaves, aquatic plants and other vegetation. Scooping this muck out of the lake bottom and boiling and filtering out the clear liquid would yield a sort of vegetation soup, very high in nutrients. George claimed that he had gone into the woods for weeks at a time, living on nothing but this soup, and came out fatter than when he went in.

Somebody really ought to check this out. Not me, but somebody.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 6mm Mauser from Herters. Unlike my other two Mausers, it has a weird spring type bolt release that does not seem to be functioning correctly. I have two questions:
    Can this odd release be removed and an original bolt release installed?
    IF it cannot, where do I find parts to repair this one?

Best description I can give is that you push on the release instead of pulling out the bolt release.

Boolit Master

American57
    Pictures would be most helpful
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy

Many many years ago I had a Herters in 7 mag in a Mauser action

Boolit Master
    They still owe a 17 year old kid a "PUSH POLE HEAD" and I forget what else. Kinda "BAD WORD HERE".. If I see " OLD GEORGE" I'm gonna give a slight tap on the nose and a black eye to boot...

I used to subscribe to the Herter's catalog in the 1970's just to drool over the fancy wood (many different types/grades) rifle stock they sold.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I still have a set of Herter's Mallard blocks....the ones with the compressed Styrofoam bodies. ****ed near indestructible. I bought them in the early '70's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast