Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry?

Boolit Grand Master

What do you carry?

As the title asks, what do you carry concealed?

Due to my schedule my CWP expired so I have to wait 8-10 weeks or so for the gubmint say it's ok for me to carry again. So.........Looking for a possible new CCP.

I typically carried my Colt LW Commander or a Smith M&P. I've been looking at the Smith SW1911SC model (commander sized scandium alloy frame with mild bob tail) or possibly, gasp, a Glock 19 or 42. I'm open to caliber so 9, 40, 45 all acceptable. Then again, I'm completely comfortable with what I have, but an excuse to find a new one is always fine by me.....

Boolit Master
    I'm on the smaller side, I carry a lc9s pro in a crossbreed supertuck. I occasionally open carry my bersa 380 as well.

Boolit Mold
    My primary is the M&P shield in 40 in a crossbreed clone holster. I often pocket carry the 642 performance center or Ruger lcp in a desantis nemesis pocket holster.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If you go for a S&W1911, especially a used one, make sure it doesn't have a "Series-80" style firing pin safety. For a while Smith used a particularly nasty version of the breed, one that would sometimes let the hammer go "tick", but prevent the gun from going "boom." Fortunately, I discovered this at the range, where it was merely infuriating.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 05-16-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ruger LCP with MP-35-93HP cast boolits.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Ruger LCP with MP-35-93HP cast boolits.
    oh great, now I found Mihec makes a HP for the 380 too? Next on my list....

Boolit Master

I like my KelTec P3AT and Glock G36.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    S&W Shield 40

Boolit Master
    Ruger sp101 357 3 inch bbl with hammer, I'm thinking about trying the ruger lc9s pro for something a little more slim. I have a super tuck for my xdm40 but it's obvious I have a gun on me unless I'm wearing a bulky sweat shirt or jacket so not a summer time rig at all!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    Ruger sp101 357 3 inch bbl with hammer, I'm thinking about trying the ruger lc9s pro for something a little more slim. I have a super tuck for my xdm40 but it's obvious I have a gun on me unless I'm wearing a bulky sweat shirt or jacket so not a summer time rig at all!
    I can barely see mine even with a tshirt on. Definitely get the pro version vs the standard lc9, the trigger is much improved.

Boolit Master

For the most part a XDS in 45 but will be switching to a Sig P938 soon then back to the XDS when it is cooler
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    S&W M60 3" with 158gr SWC-HP (Buffalo Bore) or my Kahr P9 with Ranger-T.

Depends upon the dress - Arizona goes from mild to meltdown - I go from 45 ACP to little 380 Backup.

If I was shopping I'd look at the S&W Shield in 40 S&W
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Right now, and what Ive been hanging on my hip for a good number of weeks is my 4" 686. I have enough practice with the 38+ to be just fine with it if the need arose, have had it around for 5 years or so. Other times Ill grab my Glock 23, or if the attire required something smaller my LC9.

But again I have been favoring my 686....I would love to get my hands on a 629 3" some day though.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Depends, but mostly a Colt series 70 Commander .45, Combat Commander I've rebuilt to handle .45 +P, full size 1911 .45, or in the woods a 4" S&W 629. A lot depends on clothing and holster combo.

Glock 19 most days, and an LCR when I need something small. Thinking about getting a shield or 43 to replace the LCR.

Moderator Emeritus

Here in SE Ga., the heat of summer means we wear light clothing about 8 mo. out of the year. This means that unless you like wearing your shirt outside your pants, we need a very small pistol - a literal "pocket pistol," and the little .380 mini autos are about the best I've seen for that. I once used to carry one of those 1" barreled Freedom Arms mini-revolvers, figuring it beat nothing at all. I figured if some really big hopped up "animal" got on top of me, I could put the muzzle against the stomach's flesh, and the muzzle blast as well as the bullet would probably get him off me, and maybe let me get away or go get a bigger gun. I moved up to a .32 Kel Tec for a while, but was not totally comfortable with that little gun. I figured that inside 12 yds., I could make head shots, though, and I was pretty quick then, too. Finally went looking for a .380 and tried 5 different models. I chose the little Taurus 738 TCP because it felt and pointed well, and had the best and most controllable DA trigger pull of the lot. This was rather surprising, since I was never a fan of Taurus. But on trying it out, it proved to shoot to the sights without any adjustment (a good thing since they're cast into the frame). I've only shot 4 rattlesnakes with it so far, but it did amazingly well for that. 4 shots, 4 dead snakes, all head shots. I wish it made a bigger hole so the poison sacs could be eliminated, but I guess you can't have everything in a gun that fits your pocket and you can and WILL have with you 100% of the time. If you've seen me with my pants on for the past 35+ years, I've been armed, even if it was only lightly.

When I can, I carry my 4" Lwt. Kimber .45 in an Andrews McDaniel IWB holster, and it really doesn't take all that much to conceal it, but it does require more than a tee shirt or polo type shirt, at least for me. Knowing I'm lightly armed helps keep me focused and paying attention when I'm out and about. That's part of self defense too, ya' know? Self defense is more about HAVING a gun and knowing how to use it. When and how to bring it into play, and seeing things develop before they cross the threshold over into danger makes a big difference. I used to have to visit parolees, some of whom were just biding their time and looking for something else to get into, and that trained me to be very anticipatory in what I might run into on these occasions, and trained me in how to avoid any unnecessary risks and dangers. Now, I can't get that out of me very often. It's a burden I'm thankful for, though. And it's one reason I feel fairly comfortable with a little mini-.380.

A friend of mine in his youth was coming back from playing in a little country band at about age 16, and he came up on a car angled off on the shoulder of the road, and a big, heavy black man laying spread eagle on the road. He stopped and got out to investigate and render aid if needed, and the big guy jumped up and said, "Gimme all yer money!" My buddy had long been carrying, and had a little Sterling .25 in his shirt pocket that he'd come to carry since some of the "good ol' boys" liked to get violent at times, and he wasn't nearly the size he is today. He whipped out the little .25, which he'd proven to be functional and adequately accurate at across the room distances, and as the big guy crept toward him with blood obviously in his eye, he put 3 shots into his big, deep chest. He just looked at my friend like he was thinking, "NOW I'm REALLY gonna' gitcha'!!!" So he just dropped the little .25 down and put one in the big guy's knee, and the big guy fell squealing and hollering like a stuck pig, and rolling around like he was in great pain.

Needless to say, my friend quickly got in his car, and sped around the guy, still rolling on the pavement, and sped home. He never heard a thing about what happened to that bad guy, and that was that. The need for self defense isn't something new by ANY means, and can and often does, come when you'd least expect it. Savannah has cleaned up significantly, but I still carry my .45 if I go out there at night. Used to love to check out the blues parlors there at times. A good dose of dem ol' blues sure does straighten out a man's attitude and mood. I miss it, but have better things to do these days. Some friends were really good at playing the blues, and we became friends with some of the players. We loved open mike night, and the house band always called Kent out of the audience and spotlighted him because they were so sympatico. (sigh) I sure do miss those grand old fun nights! Paul, the lead player and lead singer in the house band, was "Mr. Smooth," a black guy who'd come up being taught jazz guitar. And he had the most wonderful voice! "Mr. Smooth" didn't even begin to cover it! He now plays as part of the house band in Hilton Head, and he's very happy there. I miss that man!

Boolit Master
    Tuned up M&P 9C, Little bigger than the Shield but a lot more firepower on tap and full size mag compatibility. If I feel like carrying skimpy like, I have a non-laser'ed M&P Bodyguard .380 which is very petite. I don't think the 686 Plus would carry too well, at least not concealed.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Nuffin
    my state doesn't allow it
    they know what's best for me
    yeah right

Boolit Grand Master

According to the occasion and weather, it varies from a small 380 to one of three KAHRs in 9 or .40.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast