WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real results with PC?

Real results with PC?

I am shooting a 10mm Glock and I have been trying lubed cast boolits with little success. My boolits are fairly hard and I have tried lubing with both ALOX and now with Blue Angel and I have been getting a lot of difficult to remove leading. I am now thinking of coating with powder or Hitek, but it's hard to find shooting results on this forum. Sure some of the pictures of the ammo look great, I like the candy looking ones! But I would like to hear about your shooting results. My interest is in plinking for fun, so my loads are on the safe side according to the Lyman's book.
    I've been shooting for a while but I'm not to old to learn!

Interests include Fly Fishing, Archery, Shooting and many more. British Military Veteran.

Boolit Buddy
    My results are good, PC is not magic, if lead is built up in your barrel accuracy will be poor, so by powder coating your barrel will stay clean and at least one of the variables will be off the list.I still do a ladder test with every change to a load . Once you PC you will find that there will be less cleaning and that may make your shooting more enjoyable.With coating you can run your cast fast but over 11-1200 fps a gas check is recommended.
    CC

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting hi-tek and PC since I found this site, *knock on wood* i've never had major leading issues either. I do not have a 10mm, but my 40 was right on the money at 10yrds with standard lube. I don't load for hi-power/magnum just plinking loads. hi-tek is much faster for me to process the boolits, but the coating is not quite as durable (IMHO). I'm not concerned with pretty just how they function at the range. I usually bring a box of factory ammo with me to compare, and none have come close to cast accuracy in my guns.

Boolit Master

back to your original comment: are you sure you are not at or above the max charge for your bullet? Just covering the bases here?
    Also, have you slugged your bore? Good info to have especially when questions about leading enter the picture
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    back to your original comment: are you sure you are not at or above the max charge for your bullet? Just covering the bases here?
    Also, have you slugged your bore? Good info to have especially when questions about leading enter the picture
    Thanks to all the responses , I am sure I'm nowhere near the maximum load for 10mm , well according to the Lyman. Manual. I've not slugged the bore, I will try that next.

Boolit Bub
    I'm runnin 125 gr .357 through a 20" barrel. Powder coated.

Zero issues.

Made some 158 gr .38 spl +p for a friend of mine. Powder coated.

Zero issues in his 4"revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer485 View Post
    I am shooting a 10mm Glock and I have been trying lubed cast boolits with little success. My boolits are fairly hard and I have tried lubing with both ALOX and now with Blue Angel and I have been getting a lot of difficult to remove leading. I am now thinking of coating with powder or Hitek, but it's hard to find shooting results on this forum. Sure some of the pictures of the ammo look great, I like the candy looking ones! But I would like to hear about your shooting results. My interest is in plinking for fun, so my loads are on the safe side according to the Lyman's book.
    I've been shooting for a while but I'm not to old to learn!

Interests include Fly Fishing, Archery, Shooting and many more. British Military Veteran.

I load for three Glock pistols ,41 -45 ACP ,17 -9 mm ,19 -9 mm all with smokes PC have had fine results with all .
    6% fps increase so I'll just your load accordingly
    charles

Thanks guys, I've just ordered some smokes powder to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer485 View Post
    Thanks guys, I've just ordered some smokes powder to give it a try!

This will change everything.......for the better.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I use Smoke's clear PC and it works like a champ. I've used HF's red with good results, but Smoke's clear is better coverage, and just looks better to me.... looks like a lead bullet (g)

I've shot PC'd in Glock 43 9mm, a 45-70, and 30-30 and GREAT results with all of them.

Ken

PC or Hi-Tek will work great for plinking rounds in your 10mm.

But back to your original issue...slug the bore and size appropriately. Even when using a PC or Hi-Tek coating it would be smart to do this.

I don't know the details of your loads, but 10mm can get into the territory of needing gas checks depending on your powder choice and alloy hardness. Coatings will help avoid the need for GC's.
    __

Quote Originally Posted by noisewaterphd View Post
    PC or Hi-Tek will work great for plinking rounds in your 10mm.

But back to your original issue...slug the bore and size appropriately. Even when using a PC or Hi-Tek coating it would be smart to do this.

I don't know the details of your loads, but 10mm can get into the territory of needing gas checks depending on your powder choice and alloy hardness. Coatings will help avoid the need for GC's.
    I've not slugged the bore, but being a new Glock 29 I would be very surprised if it was not right on spec. But it's hot on my list of things to do with this pistol. My load is 7.2 grains of Power Pistol with a cast 175 grain bullet. The Lyman data says the speed is 1139fps with a 7.3 load. So what I can gather from these pages should not lead with either of the lubes I have tried. I'm sizing to .401 with either a Lee push through die or with a hard lube in a Lyman 45. The seem to come out of the sizing with just a small amount of shine. I would like to keep the pistol standard and not fit a Lone Wolf barrel since here in California any modification to a firearm could make it illegal.

In my stock G20, PC or HT coated beat lubed lead for accuracy. I can generally keep sub 3" groups offhand @ 25yds, with full power 200gr coated LFP loads running right to 1200fps.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I've never noticed any accuracy difference using powder coat or any other type of lube.

As the OP I'm not too interested in match pistol accuracy but how much fouling you have experienced.

Boolit Master
    Fouling has been minimal in my experience. As long as the coating is fully cured, the coating should remain intact for any 10MM load. I have shot 100's of PC'd rounds through my Delta Elite. Granted most of these are at the starting load for a 180 grain lead FP, but I have never had I had any leading.

You will always have some burnt gun powder residue inside the barrel and on the gun, but PC doesn't increase the amount of this type of fouling.

Boolit Master
    shot 200 rounds through my taurus tracker yesterday. medium velocity hi-tek wadcutters over bullseye and a s&b primer. The cylinder and my hands were black by the end, but the bore cleaned up in 2-3 patches. Took me longer to get my hands clean than the gun . I had much worse residue/leading when using commercial swaged swc or lrn factory ammo.

I have no experience with PC. But trust that it works from the many comments made on this forum by the people using it. I have no experience with 10mm.

The only thing that I might add to this is that after two years I have shot a few thousand rounds of Hi Tek coated bullets with only one instance of a small amount of leading. That was when I didn't do my job and it probably wouldn't have mattered what lube I had used. I have shot .223, .308, .38 special, 357 magnum, 44 special, 44 magnum, 45 auto with Hi Tek. Most of which I have shot with near max loads to see if I could cause it to lead.

It is my opinion, for what it is worth, that if you have the right alloy and gas checks where needed either PC or Hi Tek done right will get you where you are wanting to go.

The range that I shoot at has been patrolled heavily lately by the Game Warden so can't shoot the cans any more but love making those holes in the paper. There is nothing like taking the grand kids out for a little plinking.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Success at last! I have used some of Smokes powder on about 100 boolits. They didn't look all that pretty with my first time tumbling in the Cool Whip container, but they had enough covering to look ok. I sized using the Lee push through sizer and they seemed to resize easier than the lubed boolits. I shot them all and had a little lead fouling but I put this down to my uneven coating. My Glock 10mm barrel cleaned up pretty easily. I did have two misfires though, the primers were struck right in the middle and fairly deep. I'm not sure why, but it looks like faulty primers to me.
    I've ordered a Craftsman Electrostatic Gun and I'm hoping I might get some results looking like. Mongoose's. His look immaculate. But at the moment I'm sold on powder coating!

Boolit Master

I picked up a Ruger LCR just for testing BLL and PC cast bullets,I've put 10K plus through it so far and NO leading issues at all,the purple color PC flakes off a little and black hi-tek doesn't cover as well,but accuracy is fine, as good if not better than plain cast.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast