Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone replaced or made a new habdle/knob for their presses?

Has anyone replaced or made a new habdle/knob for their presses?

So I sized and deprimed something an unholy amount of 44mag and 357 mag thanks to some gracious people I know. Well about 2k rounds later I have some good old tendonitis. Ice, advil, a drink or two, and some sleep helped but I'm glad to be done with the sizing and depriming for a bit. Flaring/seating/crimping is much easier on the hands.

Anyways have any of you made some custom alterations for better fit in your hand for your presses?
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

I screwed a Hurst t-shifter to a handle once ...does that count ? Lolz ,the roller handles are available for some presses ,I found that I like ball handles best ,old pool balls work decent enough
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

http://inlinefabrication.com/
    I have either ergo roller handles or standard roller handles from these people for my presses.

Boolit Master

I add rubber grips purchased from CH/4D to all my presses, and wear a work glove if I am going to be doing a lot of reps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6346.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	168233
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

+1 for in-line handles. I made a different handle that I used for a while, but broke down and bought in line. Ball hurts my hand /palm after a while

Boolit Master
    Roller Handle for a LOAD MASTER, made from scrap parts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails complete roller handle.jpg   roller handle.jpg   copper con.jpg  
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

If it's a ball handle already just pull a very small sock over it, I use my granddaughter's. At least try it before buying a roller handle because it really smooths and eases the operation out for my arthritic wrist and elbow.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

My rcbs special IV has a ball. Idiot me didnt grab a glove or anything. I didn't even know they had an aftermarket for those. I wish I had a shifter around here, but I'm sure I have a few throttle grips from my shovelhead floating around haha.
    I'll try the sock before dropping 55 bucks on one. With a 3 year old I'm sure I can snag a mismatched one.

Or try making one! That looks great 44vaquero.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Boolit Grand Master

I turned up a wood one for a buddies press tht was more of a pear shape than an actual ball. Made it from 1/4" laminates of hard maple and walnut. Turned it up to the pear shape and poliched it down to 800 grit in the wood lathe then started working oil finish into it and sanding while wet to fill grains. Statrted with 320 and finish worked to 1000 and thined oil finish. The 3 coats of finish allpied with soft felt pad. Looked great and was a very smooth surface in the hand. Was a pain gluing the block up for it and getting it started. Its got easier as the corners were knocked off and cuts became smoother though. Epoxied a thread insert in to match threads on his press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Roller Handle for a LOAD MASTER, made from scrap parts!
    Hi,
    44, that handle makes my South Georgia sensibility's PROUD!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Several years ago, I replace both the RCBS ball and the Dillon 550b ball with green and blue pool balls. The larger size is much more comfortable in my hand. I tried the roller handle; but found I liked the larger pool ball much better. I had more flexibility with the ball than with the roller handle. IIRC, I got the ball from a member on this site. I believe his name is Adam.

Found a link. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...od-for-dillons

His username is ANeat. Very good guy to do business with.
    Last edited by dudel; 05-16-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Pool Balls, Wood "goose egg" from Hobby Shop, & Shifter Knobs all work very well.,
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Grand Master

Turned a ball in a piece of drilled scrap, bought a piece of steel rod, glued it up and stuck it in the handle-less Trueline Jr. Gotta pull it and turn/file a groove on the other end for the lock bolt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Hobby Lobby has wood balls in several sizes. Get the size you like, drill it to match the size of the handle, and glue it in with J-B Weld. After each loading session I apply some JPW to the ball. Now I am going to have to try the sock idea.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

I recently replaced the arm on my RCBS Rockchucker. Mine was the old round shaft, with just the soft plastic sleeve over the end. Always a pain on longer runs. I found a new Rockchucker with the large round ball on the arm, and swapped arms to my press. Then re-sold the new Rockchucker to get my money back. I like the round abll a lot, but going to try that sock trick also, to see how that works!

Boolit Master

I've fab'ed some longer handle extensions to lessen the effort needed for resizing. My range of motion is longer but the effort is less.
    Have them on a SDB, as well as bench primer and shotshell resizer. They are all removable as they are just slip fits.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I didn't mind the OE ball that came on the Dillon 650 but the fact my hand wouldn't "glide" on it would make my palm tender after a while so I tried the blue aluminum roller Dillon makes and it is pretty good, looks sharp too. I do have a good size International Harvester shift knob that was probably on some equipment or a big diesel truck, it would probably be nice! I had a small rounded, cylindrical Hurst knob in my single stage that I like.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy

Tendonitis was probably the biggest reason I decided to go progressive. I basically do the same amount of loading with about 1/4 of the effort. It's not for everybody but it was a better deal for me than adding a roller handle to the Rock Chucker.
    Noli Me Tangere

Boolit Grand Master

I have an old blue Pacific Super Deluxe cast iron C press that has a reversible linkage , you can push down on the handle or change it around to pull up on the handle to size . For me , I found that pulling up was easier on the tendonitis , arm , wrist and elbow and shoulder joints than shoving down on it . I mounted the press low so I can sit in a chair and size.
    If your press linkage can be changed you might want to try it.
    Gary

Before I built my new bench my old set up was just a few inches shorter. I used to get a really bad flare up in my elbow after any reloading session over an hour or so. For some reason one day I found myself standing on a four inch high crate while reloading (too lazy to tidy the floor).
    The difference was unbelieveable, not a twinge to my elbow after a marathon reloading session. This convinced me to add the extra inches when building the new bench. It may be worthwhile trying to vary the height you are loading from, you never know it may help with your hands.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk