RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: I saw an unusual 1911 the other day…

Boolit Master

I saw an unusual 1911 the other day…

I was out of town on business for a couple weeks, so stopped by the LGS after I got home last week. While chatting with the staff, an old gent walks in the store with a shoe box. I’ll wager everyone reading this would plan to stay a little longer to see what was in the box, and that’s what I did. The box was opened and the guy behind the counter pulled out a 1911. Now I know what it is, and I’m ready to leave.

Then I noticed the LGS folks peering at every nook and cranny of the gun. One of them remarks “It ain’t a Colt”, while the other remarks “There ain’t a makers mark anywhere!” Hmmmm…. Now my curiosity is piqued.

From a few feet away, I could see the finish was pretty well worn, and it was not an ‘A1’ frame. And the old gent wasn’t selling it; he wanted the shopkeeper to help him cycle the slide so he could decide if he wanted to use it as a Self Defense gun. Turns out the old gent had no forearm strength; he couldn’t even move the slide, which did function normally for the staff at the LGS.

They never did figure out what it was to their satisfaction. As they were putting it back in the shoebox, I approached and asked if I could look at it. The old gent was happy to get another opinion, as he hadn’t found out anything so far. As soon as I looked at the slide stop it was obvious: it was a Norwegian 1911 (Kongsberg Colt) with a serial number in the 20K range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongsberg_Colt

All the visible small parts were correctly serial numbered, too. There was some pitting, mostly on the slide, and the grip safety was failing to disengage and let the hammer fall about 50% of the time. Turns out the old gents’ father had brought that gun back with him from WWII, so I don’t blame him for not selling it.

I told him it would be an interesting collectable to most 1911 collectors, but if he did want to shoot it then it needed to go to a gunsmith first, because it was not reliable right now. He was happy he had the info, but I hope he doesn’t try to shoot it… Heck, if he can’t cycle the slide, it’s likely to jump out of his hand if he pulls the trigger…

I've been on both sides of the counter when an unusual gun came in the door. From the back of the counter, if you're an ethical person and know what you're looking at, you're bound to inform the customer what they've got and it's potential value. Unfortunately, some dealers aren't ethical. If you're in front of the counter, an observer, as you were it's amusing and frustrating when the people behind the counter don't know what they're looking at.

I owned one of the Norwegian .45s once. It had Nazi ownership marks and like the one you saw had some slide and frame pitting and had been commercially reblued without removing all of the pits. Somehow, every time I picked it up my eyes went right to the pits and it sort of ruined it for me. Eventually I sold it and was happy with the selling price.

Boolit Master

Seen a couple of Norweigians in my travels - would love to have one. The first couple years after the 1911 trials were interesting - Norway, pre-revolution Russia, G.B., Canada, Argentina at some point all wanted 'em. Some interesting markings on those. They probably figured the Americans had spent all the R&D money creating a reliable and durable semi auto that wasn't a popgun - no sense looking further.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    All but the last few hundreds of the @32800 Kongsberg Colts made has a lanyard loop on the main spring house and all magazines prodused also has a lanyard loop.
    Why do i menton this?
    Because the Norwegians never ever issued a lanyard to any troops!

Boolit Master

I remember seeing the Norwegian 1911s once or twice at a LGS in the late 60s. I thought that they looked to be well made and I really liked the dropped down lever on the slide release. As I recall, all the parts were numbered to the frame. I wish I could have afforded one on the pay I made back then.

Here's a photo of one that I found on the Internet.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    the slide is easy to work for a person with one hand. you place the bottom of the slide aginest a table edge and push with your good hand. we used to pritice that drill with either hand.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    the slide is easy to work for a person with one hand. you place the bottom of the slide aginest a table edge and push with your good hand. we used to pritice that drill with either hand.
    You can draw a 1911 halfway out of an M1912 OR an M1916 holster, turn it 90° and shove it back down into the holster and it will cycle a round into the chamber as well. Another one handed way to load the chamber.

And then there was the guy in Canada some years ago who robbed a bank and took $6,000 with a stolen North American Arms 1911 that was worth $100,000... Smart thug.. NOT!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    I was out of town on business for a couple weeks, so stopped by the LGS after I got home last week. While chatting with the staff, an old gent walks in the store with a shoe box. I’ll wager everyone reading this would plan to stay a little longer to see what was in the box, and that’s what I did. The box was opened and the guy behind the counter pulled out a 1911. Now I know what it is, and I’m ready to leave.

Then I noticed the LGS folks peering at every nook and cranny of the gun. One of them remarks “It ain’t a Colt”, while the other remarks “There ain’t a makers mark anywhere!” Hmmmm…. Now my curiosity is piqued.

From a few feet away, I could see the finish was pretty well worn, and it was not an ‘A1’ frame. And the old gent wasn’t selling it; he wanted the shopkeeper to help him cycle the slide so he could decide if he wanted to use it as a Self Defense gun. Turns out the old gent had no forearm strength; he couldn’t even move the slide, which did function normally for the staff at the LGS.

They never did figure out what it was to their satisfaction. As they were putting it back in the shoebox, I approached and asked if I could look at it. The old gent was happy to get another opinion, as he hadn’t found out anything so far. As soon as I looked at the slide stop it was obvious: it was a Norwegian 1911 (Kongsberg Colt) with a serial number in the 20K range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongsberg_Colt

All the visible small parts were correctly serial numbered, too. There was some pitting, mostly on the slide, and the grip safety was failing to disengage and let the hammer fall about 50% of the time. Turns out the old gents’ father had brought that gun back with him from WWII, so I don’t blame him for not selling it.

I told him it would be an interesting collectable to most 1911 collectors, but if he did want to shoot it then it needed to go to a gunsmith first, because it was not reliable right now. He was happy he had the info, but I hope he doesn’t try to shoot it… Heck, if he can’t cycle the slide, it’s likely to jump out of his hand if he pulls the trigger…
    I was reading an article about those not too long ago. I don't remember where though. They're very interesting guns, and I'd love to run across one someday.

Boolit Master
    GONRA believes (not real sure from the description) that's its a Norwegian .45.
    These are Great Collector items. If they have Nazi Proofs, value is WAAAAAY UP THERE!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Seen a couple of Norweigians in my travels - would love to have one. The first couple years after the 1911 trials were interesting - Norway, pre-revolution Russia, G.B., Canada, Argentina at some point all wanted 'em. Some interesting markings on those. They probably figured the Americans had spent all the R&D money creating a reliable and durable semi auto that wasn't a popgun - no sense looking further.
    Canada bought about 10,000 1911's in 1915 for WW1.