Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee push through size die modification?

Boolit Buddy

Lee push through size die modification?

I saw a mention of modification of the Lee size die for use with PC in a post but haven't yet found anything else on it. I've got a .260 die coming, anybody got a link or explanation?

Boolit Buddy
    If you mean for sizing once you've pced just use it as is. No modification necessary.

Boolit Buddy
    I plan on polishing it a bit, the .310 I bought years ago was kind of rough. I was thinking the guy was talking more about belling the mouth of the die or something of that type.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but I polished out a Lee Crimp Die a few years ago so I could use it as a push through die to Bulge Bust 9mm cases.

I chucked the die in a lathe so i could spin it then used diamond paste on a wooden dowel to polish down the carbide to the desired size, the carbide was mirror smooth. It was a pretty simple process, assuming you have access to a lathe or drill press with a large chuck or collets.

Boolit Master

I've added a rubber band to keep from having the top raise as the bullets stack up and drop them all over the floor

In spirit of full disclosure I learned that on Cast Boolits
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I inverted my press so I don't use or need the Lee Red Plastic Bottles at all. Everything IO do just drops through into a waiting container. If anybody wants my Lee Bottles ( I have several) and wishes to pick them up or pay the postage they are free to a good home.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ole_270 View Post
    I saw a mention of modification of the Lee size die for use with PC in a post but haven't yet found anything else on it. I've got a .260 die coming, anybody got a link or explanation?
    Where did you get a .260 ??? Don't see one listed on the Lee site, but I could use one....Actually .266 but I'd take a .260

Boolit Buddy
    Custom order, works fine but wish I had ordered the NOE version so all I had to change was bushings

Boolit Buddy
    Custom order, works fine but wish I had ordered the NOE version so all I had to change was bushings
    Long before the NOE version was available, I made my own out old an old 22-250 sizing die. I bored a 9/16 (+.002) diameter hole in it 1 inch deep. It is mounted upside down in a HF $50 press with a hole in the table under the die. When I need a new size die, I cut off a piece of 9/16 water hardening drill rod, bore and polish to the size I want and drop it into my old 22-250 modified die and away I go. A new size takes less than 30 minutes to make.

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased the sizer system from NOE and I can confirm it works well. The only problem is NOE really needs to start making nose punches to fit his bullet molds/bushings. I have a NOE spire point 30 caliber bullet mold and the RCBS spire point punch i had was too short to push the bullets back out of the nose bushing when doing nose sizing, so I had to make a punch to fit. Fortunately I have a lathe, but the time it takes, buying off the rack would have been easier. A benefit to the NOE system is you can nose size bullets as well as using the standard bushings for push through sizing. Nose sizing certainly makes some rifle bullet designs a lot more uniform and reduces bullet runout to a minimum. As you would expect if NOE indicates a busing is .308 it is .308, not .3085 like my Lee die.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I inverted my press so I don't use or need the Lee Red Plastic Bottles at all. Everything IO do just drops through into a waiting container. If anybody wants my Lee Bottles ( I have several) and wishes to pick them up or pay the postage they are free to a good home.
    Inverting my Lee was the best thing I ever did, easily triples+ production. PCing my boolits was 2nd. The sized after PC'ing boolits go through my Hornady boolit seating die w/o modifying it. My only question, WTH am I going to to do w/ all this Alox & JPW I have.

Boolit Grand Master

When I use the Lee push thrus I slip a piece of tygon tubing over the top and a loop back down to the container. Bullets push thru sizer into tube and then are pushed into container much softer trip for them thn dropping.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    When I use the Lee push thrus I slip a piece of tygon tubing over the top and a loop back down to the container. Bullets push thru sizer into tube and then are pushed into container much softer trip for them thn dropping.
    never thought of this. Will have to give it a try. Learn something new every day
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I started out putting a tube on the top of the die and found that the reinforced PVC tubing kept it's shape better as you need a gentle bend to run the tube to a container so larger bullets don't get stuck.

I plan on polishing it a bit, the .310 I bought years ago was kind of rough. I was thinking the guy was talking more about belling the mouth of the die or something of that type.
    take a small bore brush and wrap a thin piece of scotch Brite pad to it chuck it in your drill few drops of oil and stick it up in the die and let it spin for a little while . If your just polishing it that's the easiest way I know
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I did the same thing. Cheap Lee ss press, C clamped to my bench & just let them drop into a box. Faster too, nothing to align, just drop the bullet in & go.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol