Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: super redhawk vs. super blackhawk

Banned

yup but ugly too in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I am with Lloyd. That square trigger guard hurts and I think it looks funny too. I they are the 7.5 inch with the round guard.

Banned

ya I go kind of the same way with redhawks the old style redhawk was painfull for me to shoot with that crappy grip frame but the super redhawk might be ugly but its a pussycat to shoot even in 454 or 480.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I had a SRH in.480 and .44 mag. Loved them both. I had a .44 SBH with the fluted cylinder and rounded trigger guard and liked it a lot, but sold it for the .44 SRH. The recoil is different with the DA, much easier on my old wrists. Accuracy was great with all three, but now I only have the .44 SRH. Planning on a new RH soon, the .45 Colt /.45 acp model. Probably will never shoot them in DA, don't remember if I ever have....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The O.K. KIDD View Post
    that's me, I really like single actions, more simple you know, but I keep hearing that the redhawk is stronger, if that's the case I would go with it, also I like the 7.5 barrel, and you can only have it in the redhawk. keep the input coming, I really appreciate it..
    I guess somebody forgot to tell me...I have a SBH with 7.5" barrel. Most accurate revolver I've ever shot.

Boolit Master
    The only "downside" to 7.5" barrel I have found is the heavy boolits shoot much higher than in a 4 5/8".

4 5/8ths? I thought the next size down was 5.5 inches. but I want the longer barrel for the longer sight radius and better long distance accuracy.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

what do you guys think about noe's 265ish grain keith style boolit as an all pupose hunting,target round. could get a hollow point mold with flat tip pins also to have both hp and fp

Boolit Master

what do you guys think about noe's 265ish grain keith style boolit as an all pupose hunting,target round. could get a hollow point mold with flat tip pins also to have both hp and fp
    Attachment 168653 I like a 265 grain boolit but i had mine made by accuratemolds only took about 2 weeks to get it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Hunting OK, Why the shoulder and one GG?
    I wait for results.

Boolit Master

I did not design it but it shoots good in my SBH but i do need to try it in my scoped Contender out to a 100 yards
    just to see how it will group
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Better in the tender since no forcing cone. Should do very well.
    My aversion is the shoulder trying to pull the cylinder when the ogive of an LBT style is better.

Boolit Master
    4 5/8ths? I thought the next size down was 5.5 inches. but I want the longer barrel for the longer sight radius and better long distance accuracy.
    You are correct but I've only shot the two I mentioned side-by-side. I suspect this is the reason Elmer Keith preferred the shorter barrel...POI.

Boolit Man
    O.K. my SBH 7.5" 44 has the regular steel square back trigger guard grip frame I like it ok but dont hot rod it much on account it will wack the **** outta my middle finger so a cylinder full or so is about all I want at one time. A 250-265 gr. at 1050-1100 fps is manageable and thats usually what it gets.
    A few years back I had to shoot a black angus cow that was septic, I used this pistol loaded with that 300 gr. lee boolit cast straight clip on WW and water dropped if i remember right i was using 9 or 10 grs. unique maybe power pistol, she was facing me kinda quartering I hit her about 2" above eye level center of forehead she fell in her tracks the boolit didnt come out so before I drug her off i got curious and opened her up i found that boolit lodged in her hip bone. Thats about 4 &1/2 feet of cow that boolit went through and it wasnt going all that fast when it hit her she was maybe 15 yards from me when i shot her.
    I dont post many opinions but While it is nice to have it you dont need a whole lot of velocity with those big boolits find a load thats manageable and shoots good for you with a 250 gr or heavier boolit put'em where they'll do some good and you'll have meat.

when I said they didn't have the 7.5 barrel I meant in the SBH .480, it is 6.5,my mistake

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    cool, because at heart I am a "simple is better" kind of guy, while the Blackhawk only holds 5, if you need even 2-3 480's, prayer will be a better weapon! still would like to hear anyone else's opinions. Travis
    I own a super Redhawk in .44 mag. Years ago I did own a regular Blackhawk in .357 mag and I like them both single and double action, although I wish my SRH had a 7 1/2" barrel instead of 9 1/2" sometimes. The biggest advantage of the double action is racking out 6 shots in a hurry when a grizzly bear is running at you, and reloading speed. The way I feel about it is you really can't go wrong buying a Ruger Revolver. I don't care much for their rifles, but they got the revolvers right.

well I finally got it, the ruger super Blackhawk bisley hunter with the 7-1/2" barrel. definitely made the right choice. thanks a lot guys!

Banned
    My experience with 44 mags... I owned both a super black hawk and a super red Hawk. The Super red hawk was more pleasing to shoot.

unlike most people, I actually find the redhawk/SRH to be a good looking gun ( but I also think postal jeeps are cool, lol) but I much prefer a single action, I have the 38spl S&W, and a literally never shoot it double action, just a habit to cock before I shoot. once you get used to doing that, I don't think you give up much speed. some yes, but not alot

Are you going to put a scope on it? Lay some pics on us, brother.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

if you look in the favorite loads forum, under the 265 keith w/ w296 thread, I put a picture up there, along with the 432-277 keith mold. as far as scopes go, I think I will leave it as is for now, but I haven't ruled it out for in the future, if I did it would either be a 2X burris, or a red dot of some kind with a 2 moa dot. has anyone ever put a small shotgun bead on the top of the front sight? I was thinking that it might help a bit, instead of trying to line up the center of the kind of wide front sight?

I have not tried the bead trick but if it gives a sight picture like the JM 625 S&W guns it would be a nice addition. If you are fortunate enough to have a lot of birthdays, you will put a scope on it. Trust me on that one.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast